Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Are licenses language-bound?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-05-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBpbiBTcGFpbg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Are licenses language-bound?
OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of Ultimate
64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I buy
one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an english
DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?

Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key for
a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the US -
and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of Windows
I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
upgradeable.

At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an OEM
version, or will it have to be a clean install?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Ben
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
I'm pretty sure that with ULTIMATE, you can download a hefty language add-in
that will change the interface to another language. It requires you to log
off and then log back on, but it works pretty well. I'm running English and
Spanish on mine for kicks and it seems to work extremely well.

The downloads for this are on the Windows Update page ... doesn't require
another DVD, just download the "update".
"Rain in Spain" <Rain in Spain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BE9D1D51-4F3D-4B06-9B4B-9DC67BDCD817@microsoft.com...
> OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
> Ultimate
> 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I
> buy
> one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
> english
> DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
>
> Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key
> for
> a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
> US -
> and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
> Windows
> I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
> upgradeable.
>
> At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an OEM
> version, or will it have to be a clean install?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBpbiBTcGFpbg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
Where can I find this add-in? At the shop they said something along these
lines too, but I'm a bit reluctant. I'd rather my system was english from
scratch. Or will the language be changed right down to the core?

"Ben" wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that with ULTIMATE, you can download a hefty language add-in
> that will change the interface to another language. It requires you to log
> off and then log back on, but it works pretty well. I'm running English and
> Spanish on mine for kicks and it seems to work extremely well.
>
> The downloads for this are on the Windows Update page ... doesn't require
> another DVD, just download the "update".
> "Rain in Spain" <Rain in Spain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BE9D1D51-4F3D-4B06-9B4B-9DC67BDCD817@microsoft.com...
> > OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
> > Ultimate
> > 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I
> > buy
> > one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
> > english
> > DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
> >
> > Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key
> > for
> > a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
> > US -
> > and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
> > Windows
> > I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
> > upgradeable.
> >
> > At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an OEM
> > version, or will it have to be a clean install?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBpbiBTcGFpbg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
And can I upgrade an english RC with a spanish OEM? I'll do a clean install
eventually, but not right away.

"Ben" wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that with ULTIMATE, you can download a hefty language add-in
> that will change the interface to another language. It requires you to log
> off and then log back on, but it works pretty well. I'm running English and
> Spanish on mine for kicks and it seems to work extremely well.
>
> The downloads for this are on the Windows Update page ... doesn't require
> another DVD, just download the "update".
> "Rain in Spain" <Rain in Spain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:BE9D1D51-4F3D-4B06-9B4B-9DC67BDCD817@microsoft.com...
> > OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
> > Ultimate
> > 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I
> > buy
> > one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
> > english
> > DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
> >
> > Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key
> > for
> > a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
> > US -
> > and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
> > Windows
> > I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
> > upgradeable.
> >
> > At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an OEM
> > version, or will it have to be a clean install?

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
"Rain in Spain" <RaininSpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> And can I upgrade an english RC with a spanish OEM? I'll do a clean
> install
> eventually, but not right away.


Unfortunately, no, OEM versions cannot do an upgrade. RC1 and RC2 are the
Ultimate version, and none of the RC's are a qualifying OS for the use of an
upgrade version to do an in place upgrade. The only way to upgrade an RC
version is to get the full version of Ultimate.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBpbiBTcGFpbg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Are licenses language-bound?
And concerning my original question? Can I use a spanish OEM key to activate
an installation from an english DVD?

"Rain in Spain" wrote:

> OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of Ultimate
> 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I buy
> one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an english
> DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
>
> Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key for
> a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the US -
> and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of Windows
> I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
> upgradeable.
>
> At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an OEM
> version, or will it have to be a clean install?

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
"Rain in Spain" <RaininSpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> And concerning my original question? Can I use a spanish OEM key to
> activate
> an installation from an english DVD?
>
> "Rain in Spain" wrote:
>
>> OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
>> Ultimate
>> 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I
>> buy
>> one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
>> english
>> DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
>>
>> Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key
>> for
>> a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
>> US -
>> and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
>> Windows
>> I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
>> upgradeable.
>>
>> At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an
>> OEM
>> version, or will it have to be a clean install?


I'm not sure but I don't think so. For XP the product key was language
specific.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
=?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBpbiBTcGFpbg==?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
OK, so I'll have to scout for a shop in Spain where I can get an english
version. Why can't you just activate Windows online with a credit card
number? Jeez, what a fuss.

"Rock" wrote:

> "Rain in Spain" <RaininSpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > And concerning my original question? Can I use a spanish OEM key to
> > activate
> > an installation from an english DVD?
> >
> > "Rain in Spain" wrote:
> >
> >> OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
> >> Ultimate
> >> 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If I
> >> buy
> >> one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
> >> english
> >> DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
> >>
> >> Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license key
> >> for
> >> a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
> >> US -
> >> and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
> >> Windows
> >> I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
> >> upgradeable.
> >>
> >> At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an
> >> OEM
> >> version, or will it have to be a clean install?

>
> I'm not sure but I don't think so. For XP the product key was language
> specific.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 02-06-2007
mlai
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Are licenses language-bound?
Actually, I just bought a Traditional Chinese Ultimate and used the key to
"re-activate" the English version I got off from Technet.......
Looks fine.....

"Rain in Spain" <RaininSpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news0E22645-BC03-49A7-98F3-8EB270B6DC1B@microsoft.com...
> OK, so I'll have to scout for a shop in Spain where I can get an english
> version. Why can't you just activate Windows online with a credit card
> number? Jeez, what a fuss.
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "Rain in Spain" <RaininSpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>> > And concerning my original question? Can I use a spanish OEM key to
>> > activate
>> > an installation from an english DVD?
>> >
>> > "Rain in Spain" wrote:
>> >
>> >> OK, so I live in Spain but I'd like to install an english version of
>> >> Ultimate
>> >> 64-bit. My local store hast got OEM versions, but only in spanish. If
>> >> I
>> >> buy
>> >> one of them, can I use it's key to activate an installation from an
>> >> english
>> >> DVD - I can get one off a friend who got it abroad?
>> >>
>> >> Or - alternatively - is there a place where I can just get a license
>> >> key
>> >> for
>> >> a full version? Windows marketplace obviously doesn't work outside the
>> >> US -
>> >> and they only have upgrade versions anyway. The only prior version of
>> >> Windows
>> >> I have on CD is Me, but I read somewhere that only xp and 2000 are
>> >> upgradeable.
>> >>
>> >> At the moment I'm running the RC. Is it possible to upgrade it with an
>> >> OEM
>> >> version, or will it have to be a clean install?

>>
>> I'm not sure but I don't think so. For XP the product key was language
>> specific.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Different Language =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bCBHMDAwNTg4Mzg=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-01-2007 09:19
Where can I buy one retail DVD and 4 licenses? Nigel Molesworth microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 07:57
3 or 4 Vista licenses? Paul microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 10 03-01-2007 03:52
vista licenses =?Utf-8?B?am9oYW4xOTc1?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 14 02-28-2007 17:48
RE: vista licenses =?Utf-8?B?RGFsZQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-28-2007 17:43




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120