USB messed up

AlexT

USB messed up
Folks

I have somehow managed to mess up the USB "stack" in Vista.

Everything else seems to work fine except that if I attach an USB
device (no matter what device, even a simple hub will do) I get a "new
device found" wizard, then a prompt for the install CD and finally an
error to the effect that no valid driver was provided. This happens
both for devices that do need a specific driver and devices that
should work out of the box (such as generic USB keys).

The irritating thing is that I am pretty sure that USB was working
"out of the box", ie after the initial Vista setup. It's just that I
have somehow managed to break it... Any idea before I reformat my
HD ?!

Any pointer / help / remark appreciated.

Regards

--alexT

MICHAEL

Re: USB messed up
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925528

This article discusses an update that resolves a variety of issues that occur with specific USB
hardware devices and controllers in Windows Vista.

"AlexT" <google@atc.ch> wrote in message
news:1170705037.100932.164090@h3g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
> Folks
>
> I have somehow managed to mess up the USB "stack" in Vista.
>
> Everything else seems to work fine except that if I attach an USB
> device (no matter what device, even a simple hub will do) I get a "new
> device found" wizard, then a prompt for the install CD and finally an
> error to the effect that no valid driver was provided. This happens
> both for devices that do need a specific driver and devices that
> should work out of the box (such as generic USB keys).
>
> The irritating thing is that I am pretty sure that USB was working
> "out of the box", ie after the initial Vista setup. It's just that I
> have somehow managed to break it... Any idea before I reformat my
> HD ?!
>
> Any pointer / help / remark appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> --alexT

Wegie

Re: USB messed up
In article <1170705037.100932.164090@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
"AlexT" <google@atc.ch> wrote:

> Folks
>
> I have somehow managed to mess up the USB "stack" in Vista.
>
> Everything else seems to work fine except that if I attach an USB
> device (no matter what device, even a simple hub will do) I get a "new
> device found" wizard, then a prompt for the install CD and finally an
> error to the effect that no valid driver was provided. This happens
> both for devices that do need a specific driver and devices that
> should work out of the box (such as generic USB keys).
>
> The irritating thing is that I am pretty sure that USB was working
> "out of the box", ie after the initial Vista setup. It's just that I
> have somehow managed to break it... Any idea before I reformat my
> HD ?!
>
> Any pointer / help / remark appreciated.

this one is easy, get a Mac... and you'll never have to deal with
messing up a USB Stack... too funny! why you even posted this is
embarrassing!

Get a Mac!

--
..
AlexT

Re: USB messed up
On Feb 5, 11:06 pm, Wegie <h...@northere.com> wrote:
> In article <1170705037.100932.164...@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
>

> "AlexT" <goo...@atc.ch> wrote:
> > Folks

> > I have somehow managed to mess up the USB "stack" in Vista.

> > Everything else seems to work fine except that if I attach an USB
> > device (no matter what device, even a simple hub will do) I get a "new
> > device found" wizard, then a prompt for the install CD and finally an
> > error to the effect that no valid driver was provided. This happens
> > both for devices that do need a specific driver and devices that
> > should work out of the box (such as generic USB keys).

> > The irritating thing is that I am pretty sure that USB was working
> > "out of the box", ie after the initial Vista setup. It's just that I
> > have somehow managed to break it... Any idea before I reformat my
> > HD ?!

> > Any pointer / help / remark appreciated.

> this one is easy, get a Mac... and you'll never have to deal with
> messing up a USB Stack... too funny! why you even posted this is
> embarrassing!
>
> Get a Mac!

errr... this is happening on a dual boot Macbook... )