Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition

Distorted Vision

Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
Hi,

Will Vista upgrade DVD allow me to install Vista with Windows XP Corporate
Edition as a qualifying product. I have it on my laptop as a bonus from
work. I want to delete the XP partition during the Vista install and create
a new partition ie do a clean install of Vista Ultimate.

I'd rather do this than in the Vista upgrade trick install to get a clean
installation.

Is this possible?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
You would need a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
in order to perform a clean install. The "corporate"
Windows XP license belongs to the company and not
you and it cannot be transferred to you as it is a
Volume License.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Distorted Vision" wrote:

Hi,

Will Vista upgrade DVD allow me to install Vista with Windows XP Corporate
Edition as a qualifying product. I have it on my laptop as a bonus from
work. I want to delete the XP partition during the Vista install and create
a new partition ie do a clean install of Vista Ultimate.

I'd rather do this than in the Vista upgrade trick install to get a clean
installation.

Is this possible?

Distorted Vision

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
Yes but I own retail version of Windows 2000 Professional so surely I'm
legally allowed to do this.
I just wanted to know if Vista Upgrade will recognise WinXP Corporate
Edition as qualifying product.

It will save me installing Windows 2000 over XP.

> You would need a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
> in order to perform a clean install. The "corporate"
> Windows XP license belongs to the company and not
> you and it cannot be transferred to you as it is a
> Volume License.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "Distorted Vision" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Will Vista upgrade DVD allow me to install Vista with Windows XP Corporate
> Edition as a qualifying product. I have it on my laptop as a bonus from
> work. I want to delete the XP partition during the Vista install and
> create
> a new partition ie do a clean install of Vista Ultimate.
>
> I'd rather do this than in the Vista upgrade trick install to get a clean
> installation.
>
> Is this possible?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
Yes, it would be a qualifying operating system to
upgrade from "if" you are the registered owner of
the software. But I believe the company is the
registered owner. In your case, you would need to
perform a clean install of Windows 2000 and then
install an upgrade version of Vista.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Distorted Vision" wrote:

Yes but I own retail version of Windows 2000 Professional so surely I'm
legally allowed to do this.
I just wanted to know if Vista Upgrade will recognise WinXP Corporate
Edition as qualifying product.

It will save me installing Windows 2000 over XP.

> You would need a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
> in order to perform a clean install. The "corporate"
> Windows XP license belongs to the company and not
> you and it cannot be transferred to you as it is a
> Volume License.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "Distorted Vision" wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Will Vista upgrade DVD allow me to install Vista with Windows XP Corporate
> Edition as a qualifying product. I have it on my laptop as a bonus from
> work. I want to delete the XP partition during the Vista install and
> create
> a new partition ie do a clean install of Vista Ultimate.
>
> I'd rather do this than in the Vista upgrade trick install to get a clean
> installation.
>
> Is this possible?

Distorted Vision

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
Problem is I've got the original CD, packaging and documentation that came
with Windows 2000. But I have lost the original case which has the license
key on it.
Is there any way I can get this from Microsoft because I registered it with
them.

Cheers

> Yes, it would be a qualifying operating system to
> upgrade from "if" you are the registered owner of
> the software. But I believe the company is the
> registered owner. In your case, you would need to
> perform a clean install of Windows 2000 and then
> install an upgrade version of Vista.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows - Shell/User

> "Distorted Vision" wrote:
>
> Yes but I own retail version of Windows 2000 Professional so surely I'm
> legally allowed to do this.
> I just wanted to know if Vista Upgrade will recognise WinXP Corporate
> Edition as qualifying product.
>
> It will save me installing Windows 2000 over XP.

>> You would need a "Full Version" of Windows Vista
>> in order to perform a clean install. The "corporate"
>> Windows XP license belongs to the company and not
>> you and it cannot be transferred to you as it is a
>> Volume License.
>>
>> --
>> Carey Frisch
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows - Shell/User

>> "Distorted Vision" wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Will Vista upgrade DVD allow me to install Vista with Windows XP
>> Corporate
>> Edition as a qualifying product. I have it on my laptop as a bonus from
>> work. I want to delete the XP partition during the Vista install and
>> create
>> a new partition ie do a clean install of Vista Ultimate.
>>
>> I'd rather do this than in the Vista upgrade trick install to get a clean
>> installation.
>>
>> Is this possible?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Vista Ultimate Edition Upgrade with Windows XP Professional SP2 Corporate Edition
How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP