Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS

Martin Racette

Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Hi,

I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
last Friday.

In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow Vista
doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus 6600GT,
everything worked fine

I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the 8800GTS
is in the computer will not boot

--
Thank you in advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

JW

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Will it boot in (F8) Safe Mode and if yes can you change the resolution to a
standard resolution such as 1024x768 before trying a normal boot.

"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
> last Friday.
>
> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>
> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Will I be able to use the 1600x1200 that is the native resolution for my
screen

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Will it boot in (F8) Safe Mode and if yes can you change the resolution to
> a standard resolution such as 1024x768 before trying a normal boot.
>
> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
>> last Friday.
>>
>> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
>> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
>> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>>
>> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
>> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
>> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>>
>> --
>> Thank you in advance
>> Merci a l'avance
>>
>> Martin

JW

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Probably but I think it better to get a lower and more standard resolution
running first in order to determine if the board is working at all.

> Will I be able to use the 1600x1200 that is the native resolution for my
> screen
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Will it boot in (F8) Safe Mode and if yes can you change the resolution
>> to a standard resolution such as 1024x768 before trying a normal boot.
>>
>> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to
>>> upgrade last Friday.
>>>
>>> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
>>> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old
>>> Asus 6600GT, everything worked fine
>>>
>>> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
>>> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
>>> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thank you in advance
>>> Merci a l'avance
>>>
>>> Martin

Troy McClure

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
i have an 8800GTS... the 100.59 BETA drivers on scummy nvidia's website
"work" fine. many bugs, but vista has no problem using the card

"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
> last Friday.
>
> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>
> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

nicholas hall

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
I wondered if you have a powerful enough PSU?

The reason I am asking you this is because when I upgraded my graphics card
(Nvidia 7900 GTO) I hade to get a more powerful PSU (was 350 watts and now
is 600 watts).

NIK

"Troy McClure" <k@k.com> wrote in message
>i have an 8800GTS... the 100.59 BETA drivers on scummy nvidia's website
>"work" fine. many bugs, but vista has no problem using the card
>

> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
>> last Friday.
>>
>> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
>> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
>> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>>
>> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
>> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
>> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>>
>> --
>> Thank you in advance
>> Merci a l'avance
>>
>> Martin

R. J. Salvi

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
I have the same card and Vista will flat out not install on a brand new
latest/greatest machine. The install hangs at what appears to be the
installation of device drivers. Vista won't install as an upgrade, or clean.
I'm open to suggestions besides replacing the card...

--
RJ
"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
> last Friday.
>
> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>
> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

jacko

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Hi Martin,

I had a similar experience trying to upgrade from an ATI-800XL to an
ASUS-8800GTS a couple of weeks ago.

I had already installed Vista64, but also still had the old WinXP
installation on the machine ie I could happily boot either, no problems with
the 800XL.

When I put the 8800gts in, I instantly had it refusing to boot. After 5 or
6 resets it might start to boot, but then freeze-up part way thru.

Initially I blamed the power supply, and upgraded from 480watt to 750watt.
I initially expected the 480w to be enough as I'm not using SLi. I found I
had the same problems, but the machine got to the point where it froze-up a
bit faster, lol. (I certainly wasn't laughing at the time.)

The freeze-up point seemed to be random, anywhere between starting to load
and completing loading windows desktop (either Vista or XP). Sometimes I
could get to start to use the Desktop. I never got a bsod, just total
freeze.

I reasoned it was a hardware conflict, but 8800gts and what?? mainboard
seemed the most likely... its an NF4 with AMD64-4600X2 cpu. I remembered
I'd enabled the AMD Cool n Quiet technology, and Dynamic Overclock
settings in the MB bios. Switching these 2 settings back to defaults (ie
disabled), instantly solved my freeze-up problems

Good luck, hope this maybe helps.

"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
> last Friday.
>
> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>
> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
I tried what you suggested, because I did turn the overclocking option in
the BIOS as well, but unfortunately, I get to the point where there a very
quick BSOD, and then the computer just reboot

"jacko" <grae605@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi Martin,
>
> I had a similar experience trying to upgrade from an ATI-800XL to an
> ASUS-8800GTS a couple of weeks ago.
>
> I had already installed Vista64, but also still had the old WinXP
> installation on the machine ie I could happily boot either, no problems
> with
> the 800XL.
>
> When I put the 8800gts in, I instantly had it refusing to boot. After 5
> or
> 6 resets it might start to boot, but then freeze-up part way thru.
>
> Initially I blamed the power supply, and upgraded from 480watt to 750watt.
> I initially expected the 480w to be enough as I'm not using SLi. I found
> had the same problems, but the machine got to the point where it froze-up
> bit faster, lol. (I certainly wasn't laughing at the time.)
>
> The freeze-up point seemed to be random, anywhere between starting to
> load
> and completing loading windows desktop (either Vista or XP). Sometimes I
> could get to start to use the Desktop. I never got a bsod, just total
> freeze.
>
> I reasoned it was a hardware conflict, but 8800gts and what?? mainboard
> seemed the most likely... its an NF4 with AMD64-4600X2 cpu. I remembered
> I'd enabled the AMD Cool n Quiet technology, and Dynamic Overclock
> settings in the MB bios. Switching these 2 settings back to defaults (ie
> disabled), instantly solved my freeze-up problems
>
> Good luck, hope this maybe helps.
>

> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found out what the problem with my computer was when I tried to upgrade
>> last Friday.
>>
>> In my computer I have an EVGA's GeForce 8800GTS installed, and somehow
>> Vista doesn't like this card, because when I tried again with my old Asus
>> 6600GT, everything worked fine
>>
>> I would like to be able to use the 8800GTS, what can I do, because even
>> after the upgrade I installed the latest Nvidia's driver, and if the
>> 8800GTS is in the computer will not boot
>>
>> --
>> Thank you in advance
>> Merci a l'avance
>>
>> Martin

JW

Re: Intsalling Ultimate and GeForce 8800GTS
Go into your control panel system settings and remove the check mark for
automatically restart on BSOD.