Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w
When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK key
number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with and
put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media. Now,
I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server), can
I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?

If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!

Steve
=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w
I dont think you can do this. Volume versions will only accept volume keys.
Your best bet would be to do a custom image made from OEM media. You can
easily do this without even entering a key or activating. You just have to
make sure you run sysprep. Other than that you would have to buy another
license for vista.

"Steve" wrote:

> When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK key
> number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with and
> put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media. Now,
> I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server), can
> I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
>
> If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
> key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
>
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK k
Thanks.

This is, sadly, the behaviour I expect of MS. What started as a move to
combat piracy has turned, yet again, into an obstacle for the bona fide IT
guy, and yet another attempt to mine money...

I guess I need a KMS server. This, as I understand it, will simply say
"yes" to my fresh Volume installations (for which I already hold an OEM
license).

"Emory Tech" wrote:

> I dont think you can do this. Volume versions will only accept volume keys.
> Your best bet would be to do a custom image made from OEM media. You can
> easily do this without even entering a key or activating. You just have to
> make sure you run sysprep. Other than that you would have to buy another
> license for vista.
>
> "Steve" wrote:
>
> > When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK key
> > number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with and
> > put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media. Now,
> > I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server), can
> > I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
> >
> > If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
> > key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
> >
> > Steve

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w
Hello Steve,
|>When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK
key
|>number on a sticker, presumably.
The MAK key is only available with Volume Licensing. The Sticker on the
OEM machine was a COA key in Windows XP, I am not sure if they are calling
it a COA key with Windows Vista but it's not a MAK key.

|>I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server),
can
|>I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
No the OEM key doesn't work with Volume media.
|>If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
|>key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
Nope, You don't have to buy the OS twice, this OEM adds to volume count
that you purchase( that was the way it worked on Windows XP and I haven't
heard of a change.)
You get MAK keys with your Volume License agreement. You can call to
request more activations added to your MAK key.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?= <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key
|>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:23:02 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK
key
|>number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with
and
|>put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media.
Now,
|>I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server),
can
|>I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
|>
|>If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
|>key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
|>
|>Steve

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w
Hello Emory,
He should use his customized volume image, He shouldn't image his OEM
image, this causes dependacies with the what the OEM did with the image
when customizing is and will probably not be supported and dependacies with
activation again specific to the OEM that supplied the media.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

--------------------
|>From: =?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?= <EmoryTech@discussions.microsoft.com>
|>Subject: RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK
key w
|>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 12:33:00 -0800
|>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
|>
|>I dont think you can do this. Volume versions will only accept volume
keys.
|>Your best bet would be to do a custom image made from OEM media. You can
|>easily do this without even entering a key or activating. You just have
|>make sure you run sysprep. Other than that you would have to buy another
|>license for vista.
|>
|>"Steve" wrote:
|>
|>> When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a
MAK key
|>> number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come
with and
|>> put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media.
Now,
|>> I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS
server), can
|>> I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
|>>
|>> If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a
MAK
|>> key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
|>>
|>> Steve

Kerry Brown

Re: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key w
Volume licenses are upgrade licenses. They were with XP and I assume they
are with Vista. To have a valid license you need a qualifying OS license for
the upgrade along with the volume license. As others have said OEM product
comes with a OEM key not a MAK key. You need to create an image from your
volume license media using either a MAK key or a KMS key and deploy this
image.

Look at the last item in this FAQ

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/resources/faq.mspx

Here's another useful link with details on Volume Activation for Vista

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/win...an/volact.mspx

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK
> key
> number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with
> and
> put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media. Now,
> I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server),
> can
> I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
>
> If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
> key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
>
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK k
Hi, and thanks for your input.

So the scenario would be that, say, I order 100 new PC's all with OEM
licences. I have one MAK license for the machine I am imaging from.
License-wise I am covered.

Then I have to ring MS and ask for 100 (plus) activations on one MAK number?
Are they really going to do that? How will they know I even have the OEM
licences?

I can't quite see it myself

Steve

""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:

> Hello Steve,
> |>When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK
> key
> |>number on a sticker, presumably.
> The MAK key is only available with Volume Licensing. The Sticker on the
> OEM machine was a COA key in Windows XP, I am not sure if they are calling
> it a COA key with Windows Vista but it's not a MAK key.
>
> |>I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server),
> can
> |>I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
> No the OEM key doesn't work with Volume media.
> |>If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
> |>key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
> Nope, You don't have to buy the OS twice, this OEM adds to volume count
> that you purchase( that was the way it worked on Windows XP and I haven't
> heard of a change.)
> You get MAK keys with your Volume License agreement. You can call to
> request more activations added to your MAK key.
> Thanks,
> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

> --------------------
> |>From: =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?= <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com>
> |>Subject: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK key
> |>Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 09:23:02 -0800
> |>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
> |>
> |>When we buy new machines they will come with Vista OEM licences and a MAK
> key
> |>number on a sticker, presumably. I then want to wipe what they come with
> and
> |>put on our customised version of Vista. This comes from Volume media.
> Now,
> |>I've already bought Vista once with the PC, so (assuming no KMS server),
> can
> |>I put the OEM license key from the sticker into the Volume installation?
> |>
> |>If not, how does one do this *without* buying another license with a MAK
> |>key. Surely MS do not expect us to buy the OS twice?!?!
> |>
> |>Steve

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

RE: Reinstall OEM PC with Volume version of Vista. Will OEM MAK k
Hello Steve,
This is how it is supposed to work as I understand the process.
You may have to explain why you are requesting 100 but that is why.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]