Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable

Johnthomas334@gmail.com

Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
I have a XPS 600 Non-Raid 3.4gh computer with 2GB memory and a single
GF7900.
My BIOS version is A09, DXG051.

I spent two days with Dell trying to figure out an install problem
which started because of a vista business upgrade. Vista installed
fine, but I could not connect to any Microsoft update sites, or Dell
sites. I could not connect to live messenger either. Also, I was
getting allot of file save errors on my company network, especially in
excel. I notice allot of temp files were created where I was trying to
save the files. I figured the install must have gone wrong.

I figured I would try a cleaner install of the vista update. So did a
clean install of XP Pro, and on reinstallation of XP, I would get to
all the way though the installation, and on first boot, blue screen of
death. Error 0X0000007B.

Well I called dell, and after several more attempts with same
installation, the representative figured out that I needed a drive
controller installed at the F6 prompt in the XP install. That fixed
the reinstallation of XP issue.

So I reinstalled VISTA, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Network issues.
The Dell representative even told me that I may have problems with
Vista, because the Nvidia chipset in Dell XPS 600 's are NOT
compatible with VISTA.

I am hoping that someone has an answer for me.

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

RE: Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
Most of the time those dell technicians dont know what they are doing. The
only nvidia chipsets that arent vista compatible are the nforce2s and even
then you can still do a install of vista. I know this because I have an
nforce2 board. I would check the the network card and find drivers
specifically from that manufacture of that card instead of using the dell
drivers.

"Johnthomas334@gmail.com" wrote:

> I have a XPS 600 Non-Raid 3.4gh computer with 2GB memory and a single
> GF7900.
> My BIOS version is A09, DXG051.
>
> I spent two days with Dell trying to figure out an install problem
> which started because of a vista business upgrade. Vista installed
> fine, but I could not connect to any Microsoft update sites, or Dell
> sites. I could not connect to live messenger either. Also, I was
> getting allot of file save errors on my company network, especially in
> excel. I notice allot of temp files were created where I was trying to
> save the files. I figured the install must have gone wrong.
>
> I figured I would try a cleaner install of the vista update. So did a
> clean install of XP Pro, and on reinstallation of XP, I would get to
> all the way though the installation, and on first boot, blue screen of
> death. Error 0X0000007B.
>
> Well I called dell, and after several more attempts with same
> installation, the representative figured out that I needed a drive
> controller installed at the F6 prompt in the XP install. That fixed
> the reinstallation of XP issue.
>
> So I reinstalled VISTA, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Network issues.
> The Dell representative even told me that I may have problems with
> Vista, because the Nvidia chipset in Dell XPS 600 's are NOT
> compatible with VISTA.
>
> I am hoping that someone has an answer for me.

Johnthomas334@gmail.com

Re: Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
Wel I did run compatability tests, and everything passed (If it didnt
pass anything, I would not have upgraded), but I can tell you that
there is a definite problem with my chipset, and neither Nvidia or
Dell have a solution. I did get the latest greatest drivers, and
nothing has helped. I even bought a new PCI NIC card, and disabled all
onboard integrated NIC and 1334 references in the BIOS.

For those looking, let me highlight the problems again for easy word
search in google:

Upgrade problems from XP SP2 to Vista Business
Cannot access windows update after vista upgrade Error 0x000007b
Cannot get Messenger Live to work
Cannot access some websites after vista upgrade(Dell, Mircosoft, MSN),
but some sites are no problem (Google, Nvidia)
Nvidia chip set Dell XPS 600 Vista upgrade problems
A09 Bios

I will post when I get more infromation

On Feb 5, 12:39 pm, Emory Tech <EmoryT...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Most of the time those dell technicians dont know what they are doing. The
> only nvidia chipsets that arentvistacompatible are the nforce2s and even
> then you can still do a install ofvista. I know this because I have an
> nforce2 board. I would check the the network card and find drivers
> specifically from that manufacture of that card instead of using the dell
> drivers.
>

> "Johnthomas...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > I have aXPS600 Non-Raid 3.4gh computer with 2GB memory and a single
> > GF7900.
> > My BIOS version is A09, DXG051.

> > I spent two days with Dell trying to figure out an install problem
> > which started because of avistabusinessupgrade.Vistainstalled
> > fine, but I could not connect to any Microsoft update sites, or Dell
> > sites. I could not connect to live messenger either. Also, I was
> > getting allot of file save errors on my company network, especially in
> > excel. I notice allot of temp files were created where I was trying to
> > save the files. I figured the install must have gone wrong.

> > I figured I would try a cleaner install of thevistaupdate. So did a
> > clean install of XP Pro, and on reinstallation of XP, I would get to
> > all the way though the installation, and on first boot, blue screen of
> > death. Error 0X0000007B.

> > Well I called dell, and after several more attempts with same
> > installation, the representative figured out that I needed a drive
> > controller installed at the F6 prompt in the XP install. That fixed
> > the reinstallation of XP issue.

> > So I reinstalledVISTA, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Network issues.
> > The Dell representative even told me that I may haveproblemswith
> >Vista, because the Nvidia chipset in DellXPS600 's are NOT
> > compatible withVISTA.

> > I am hoping that someone has an answer for me.- Hide quoted text -

JW

Re: Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
If you are can get to some Websites and not all then the Security Settings
in IE7 or in Defender are what is causing you a problem not the NIC card or
its drivers.
<Johnthomas334@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1170720616.910162.142330@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> Wel I did run compatability tests, and everything passed (If it didnt
> pass anything, I would not have upgraded), but I can tell you that
> there is a definite problem with my chipset, and neither Nvidia or
> Dell have a solution. I did get the latest greatest drivers, and
> nothing has helped. I even bought a new PCI NIC card, and disabled all
> onboard integrated NIC and 1334 references in the BIOS.
>
> For those looking, let me highlight the problems again for easy word
> search in google:
>
> Upgrade problems from XP SP2 to Vista Business
> Cannot access windows update after vista upgrade Error 0x000007b
> Cannot get Messenger Live to work
> Cannot access some websites after vista upgrade(Dell, Mircosoft, MSN),
> but some sites are no problem (Google, Nvidia)
> Nvidia chip set Dell XPS 600 Vista upgrade problems
> A09 Bios
>
> I will post when I get more infromation
>
> On Feb 5, 12:39 pm, Emory Tech <EmoryT...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>> Most of the time those dell technicians dont know what they are doing.
>> The
>> only nvidia chipsets that arentvistacompatible are the nforce2s and even
>> then you can still do a install ofvista. I know this because I have an
>> nforce2 board. I would check the the network card and find drivers
>> specifically from that manufacture of that card instead of using the dell
>> drivers.
>>

>> "Johnthomas...@gmail.com" wrote:
>> > I have aXPS600 Non-Raid 3.4gh computer with 2GB memory and a single
>> > GF7900.
>> > My BIOS version is A09, DXG051.

>> > I spent two days with Dell trying to figure out an install problem
>> > which started because of avistabusinessupgrade.Vistainstalled
>> > fine, but I could not connect to any Microsoft update sites, or Dell
>> > sites. I could not connect to live messenger either. Also, I was
>> > getting allot of file save errors on my company network, especially in
>> > excel. I notice allot of temp files were created where I was trying to
>> > save the files. I figured the install must have gone wrong.

>> > I figured I would try a cleaner install of thevistaupdate. So did a
>> > clean install of XP Pro, and on reinstallation of XP, I would get to
>> > all the way though the installation, and on first boot, blue screen of
>> > death. Error 0X0000007B.

>> > Well I called dell, and after several more attempts with same
>> > installation, the representative figured out that I needed a drive
>> > controller installed at the F6 prompt in the XP install. That fixed
>> > the reinstallation of XP issue.

>> > So I reinstalledVISTA, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Network issues.
>> > The Dell representative even told me that I may haveproblemswith
>> >Vista, because the Nvidia chipset in DellXPS600 's are NOT
>> > compatible withVISTA.

>> > I am hoping that someone has an answer for me.- Hide quoted text -

Kerry Brown

Re: Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
Many motherboards with nforce chipsets with SATA controllers are
experiencing this problem. They need a BIOS update. The update can only come
from from the manufacturer of the motherboard, in this case Dell. A search
for the problem reveals many hits with few fixes other than a BIOS update.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ce&btnG=Search

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Emory Tech" <EmoryTech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Most of the time those dell technicians dont know what they are doing. The
> only nvidia chipsets that arent vista compatible are the nforce2s and even
> then you can still do a install of vista. I know this because I have an
> nforce2 board. I would check the the network card and find drivers
> specifically from that manufacture of that card instead of using the dell
> drivers.
>
> "Johnthomas334@gmail.com" wrote:
>
>> I have a XPS 600 Non-Raid 3.4gh computer with 2GB memory and a single
>> GF7900.
>> My BIOS version is A09, DXG051.
>>
>> I spent two days with Dell trying to figure out an install problem
>> which started because of a vista business upgrade. Vista installed
>> fine, but I could not connect to any Microsoft update sites, or Dell
>> sites. I could not connect to live messenger either. Also, I was
>> getting allot of file save errors on my company network, especially in
>> excel. I notice allot of temp files were created where I was trying to
>> save the files. I figured the install must have gone wrong.
>>
>> I figured I would try a cleaner install of the vista update. So did a
>> clean install of XP Pro, and on reinstallation of XP, I would get to
>> all the way though the installation, and on first boot, blue screen of
>> death. Error 0X0000007B.
>>
>> Well I called dell, and after several more attempts with same
>> installation, the representative figured out that I needed a drive
>> controller installed at the F6 prompt in the XP install. That fixed
>> the reinstallation of XP issue.
>>
>> So I reinstalled VISTA, and guess what? SAME PROBLEM. Network issues.
>> The Dell representative even told me that I may have problems with
>> Vista, because the Nvidia chipset in Dell XPS 600 's are NOT
>> compatible with VISTA.
>>
>> I am hoping that someone has an answer for me.

RGBean

Re: Dell XPS 600 Nvidia Chipsets NOT Vista Compatable
I also have a XPS 600, with a Raid controller, but I'm running three
separate SATA drives, 4GB memory, 2 SLI nVidia 7800 GTX video cards, and SB
X-Fi soundcard. I did a clean install of Vista Ultimate, and the only
problems I'm having, is the drives appear to be SCSI drives, so I can't get
any S.M.A.R.T. information, and because of the SLI capability, it will only
recognize 2GB RAM. The Dell rep I chatted with said the first problem may be
fixed once nVidia comes out with Vista drivers for the MoBo, but the second
is a built in limitation on ANY 32-bit OS. Note: I did the install on BIOS
A09, but have updated to A11, but it didn't fix (or hurt) anything that I
can tell.

Rick

I'm only
news:1170695202.930192.113410@a34g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...