Using a Flash USB thumb drive to speed up performance?

boe

Using a Flash USB thumb drive to speed up performance?
I've seen a few items about people using flash drives to speed up
performance in Vista. Anyone have any experience with that? Was there a
noticeable difference? What happens if you remove the drive. Any good
articles on configurations like this?

Thank you

Dustin Harper

Re: Using a Flash USB thumb drive to speed up performance?
What ReadyBoost does is that it puts your pagefile onto the flashdrive
as it is faster than your HD. It does work pretty good, depending on how
much RAM you have. If your PC hits the HD a lot for paging (usually for
1GB of system RAM or less) then you will notice a difference. If you
have 2GB or more then you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.

It does work great, though!

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

boe wrote:
> I've seen a few items about people using flash drives to speed up
> performance in Vista. Anyone have any experience with that? Was there a
> noticeable difference? What happens if you remove the drive. Any good
> articles on configurations like this?
>
> Thank you

boe

Re: Using a Flash USB thumb drive to speed up performance?
Thanks - I have 2GB and I've never used more than 1.5 gb from what I can
tell using task manager.

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> What ReadyBoost does is that it puts your pagefile onto the flashdrive as
> it is faster than your HD. It does work pretty good, depending on how much
> RAM you have. If your PC hits the HD a lot for paging (usually for 1GB of
> system RAM or less) then you will notice a difference. If you have 2GB or
> more then you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
>
> It does work great, though!
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> boe wrote:
>> I've seen a few items about people using flash drives to speed up
>> performance in Vista. Anyone have any experience with that? Was there
>> a noticeable difference? What happens if you remove the drive. Any
>> good articles on configurations like this?
>>
>> Thank you

Ron Miller

Dustin Harper wrote:
> What ReadyBoost does is that it puts your pagefile onto the flashdrive
> as it is faster than your HD. It does work pretty good, depending on how
> much RAM you have. If your PC hits the HD a lot for paging (usually for
> 1GB of system RAM or less) then you will notice a difference. If you
> have 2GB or more then you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
>
> It does work great, though!
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> boe wrote:
>> I've seen a few items about people using flash drives to speed up
>> performance in Vista. Anyone have any experience with that? Was
>> there a noticeable difference? What happens if you remove the
>> drive. Any good articles on configurations like this?
>>
>> Thank you

I hope Dustin won't mind my add-on. I think ReadyBoost is most helpful
for laptops. In this scenario, by preventing some disk thrashing as
data is read from and written to the pagefile, ReadyBoost can prolong
battery life.
Performance enhancement always occurs with ReadyBoost, but in my
experience, it's too subtle to be easily discernible by the average user
(which I am).
John

Re: Using a Flash USB thumb drive to speed up performance?
Hi,

I wound up having to remove my ReadyBoost drive. My computer started
hanging on the BIOS screen

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a Vista issue. I have a Asus P5W motherboard, and
a lot of owners reported hanging when they activated legacy USB and left USB
drives plugged in.

With 2GB memory, I don't think it was a serious boost anyway.

John