What are we waiting for?

Zygy

What are we waiting for?
All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
wait for at least three months! Wait for what?

Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation in
some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?

Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already on
the market so they will not change either.

Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
for. Many thanks in anticipation.

=?Utf-8?B?c3RldmVzbA==?=

RE: What are we waiting for?
I'm far from being an expert, but the initial Vista installation procedure
suggests that the user checks for the latest installation program via the
internet. I suspect (hope) that as the installation / upgrade program evolves
over the next few months, people trying to install with the original versions
will be able to take advantage of the latest via the internet.

"Zygy" wrote:

> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation in
> some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already on
> the market so they will not change either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

Michael Jennings

Re: What are we waiting for?
The UK reviewers think you should wait for the dust to settle, I suppose,
figuring that living with XP a little longer won't kill you, and that answers
will be found and problems fixed while you hang back so that you will
not have to be dealing with much of that when you do switch to Vista.

If you run both Vista and XP - dual boot - you can find out if the UK
reviewers are right. I did that. I find that I almost never boot XP - I
almost always boot Vista on that computer. But I have another box
dual booting XP and Linux which I use more regularly. Your choice.

"Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote in message news:eZKMy2SSHHA.600@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation in
> some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already on
> the market so they will not change either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

Richard Urban

Re: What are we waiting for?
Ask the people who tell you to wait why they think you should.

I have installed Vista on over 2 dozen computers now and have had no major
problems. I have turned away 3 customers after finding their computers sub
par in capabilities.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote in message
> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation
> in some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already
> on the market so they will not change either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

Top

Re: What are we waiting for?
"Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote in

> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy
> or install, but
>wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with
> installation in some cases, but that will not improve by
> waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and
> they are already on the market so they will not change
> either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I
> should wait for. Many thanks in anticipation.

For the most part the people you going to see are those that
have problems. How many would you expect to jump up and down
while shouting what a great work Vista is.

Personaly I had no problems loading Vista and I don't think I'm
the only person that had that experience. I just have enough
time to cruise different NGs to see others experiences are.

Ed P.

Roy Coorne

Re: What are we waiting for?
Zygy wrote:
> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what? ...

Wait for the drivers being supplied by the hardware manufacturers...

Wait for hotfixes and patches available from Windows Update...

Wait for SP1 which is expected to be ready around Xmas...

Wait for DirectX 10 display adapters and drivers (gamers)...

Roy
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: What are we waiting for?

Are you sure it is "All reviewers"?
You need to ask the reviewers why they think you should wait.
As in other decisions, there are many reasons.
Some reasons will apply to some while other reasons will apply to another
group.
It is extremely any reason applies to all users.
But if they simply say "Wait" without giving a reason, they are probably
ignorant of the subject they are attempting to write.

Generally is is not a good idea to upgrade any hardware, software or
operating system unless you expect some benefit.
This applies to all products from all manufacturers, not just Microsoft.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote in message
> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation
> in some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already
> on the market so they will not change either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

Zygy

Re: What are we waiting for?
Hi all respondents to my posting. I appreciated reading them all and found
that you all do know more than I. Thanks again.

> Are you sure it is "All reviewers"?
> You need to ask the reviewers why they think you should wait.
> As in other decisions, there are many reasons.
> Some reasons will apply to some while other reasons will apply to another
> group.
> It is extremely any reason applies to all users.
> But if they simply say "Wait" without giving a reason, they are probably
> ignorant of the subject they are attempting to write.
>
> Generally is is not a good idea to upgrade any hardware, software or
> operating system unless you expect some benefit.
> This applies to all products from all manufacturers, not just Microsoft.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote in message
>> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install,
>> but wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>>
>> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation
>> in some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>>
>> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already
>> on the market so they will not change either.
>>
>> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
>> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

Rock

Re: What are we waiting for?
"Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote

> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install, but
> wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>
> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation
> in some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>
> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already
> on the market so they will not change either.
>
> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

The folks that post here do so because they have problems. Many more have
installed it without major issues. You need to consider is it right for you
to move to Vista? Is there a reason?

Make sure if you think about making to move to do some research. Check to
be sure there are Vista compatible drivers for all the hardware in the
system. Check that the applications you want to run will run on Vista or do
they require an update. Look at what options are available in each version
and decide which version you want, and research if you can upgrade the OS
you have to that version by an in place upgrade or will it only do a custom
install.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

Backup all your data, look at getting a drive imaging program to image the
XP installation before doing the Vista install. The bottom line is do some
work up front so you are prepared.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Pete

Re: What are we waiting for?
"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Zygy" <zygy@bt.connect.com> wrote
>
>> All reviewers of Windows Vista in UK advise us not to buy or install,
>> but wait for at least three months! Wait for what?
>>
>> Judging from the postings here there are major problems with installation
>> in some cases, but that will not improve by waiting?
>>
>> Microsoft no doubt produced many Ks of this software and they are already
>> on the market so they will not change either.
>>
>> Maybe you of the "Know Brigade" advise this ignoramus what I should wait
>> for. Many thanks in anticipation.

> The folks that post here do so because they have problems. Many more have
> installed it without major issues. You need to consider is it right for
> you to move to Vista? Is there a reason?
>
> Make sure if you think about making to move to do some research. Check to
> be sure there are Vista compatible drivers for all the hardware in the
> system. Check that the applications you want to run will run on Vista or
> do they require an update. Look at what options are available in each
> version and decide which version you want, and research if you can upgrade
> the OS you have to that version by an in place upgrade or will it only do
> a custom install.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
>
> Backup all your data, look at getting a drive imaging program to image the
> XP installation before doing the Vista install. The bottom line is do
> some work up front so you are prepared.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Well, that should take a month or so.