Vista Install and Live onecare

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Vista Install and Live onecare
I know it says remove anti virus software, but would that include Onecare.
I forgot to remove it and Vista seems ok, but I have an issue trying to use
Messenger which wont sign in.
Should I disable onecare and do a clean install.
Thanks
Mark
StephenB

Re: Vista Install and Live onecare
Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I know it says remove anti virus software, but would that include Onecare.
>I forgot to remove it and Vista seems ok, but I have an issue trying to use
>Messenger which wont sign in.
>Should I disable onecare and do a clean install.
>Thanks
>Mark

Since I assume that you have Internet access in general after the upgrade, I
suspect you may need to reinstall Windows Live Messenger or troubleshoot that
issue. There have been reports of people upgrading to Vista with OneCare 1.5 in
place losing all access to the Internet. It would not be a selective problem
only with WLM. If you want to confirm that it is not a OneCare issue, turn off
the OneCare firewall and try to sign in with WLM.
-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
=?Utf-8?B?ZHN0cmFjaw==?=

Re: Vista Install and Live onecare
I am having a similar problem... I have Oncecare installed and cannot access
the Internet at all after upgrading to Vista Ultimate. Assuming that once I
shutdown the firewall in OnceCare I regain internet access what do I do to
resolve the OneCare conflict?

"StephenB" wrote:

> Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I know it says remove anti virus software, but would that include Onecare.
> >I forgot to remove it and Vista seems ok, but I have an issue trying to use
> >Messenger which wont sign in.
> >Should I disable onecare and do a clean install.
> >Thanks
> >Mark

> Since I assume that you have Internet access in general after the upgrade, I
> suspect you may need to reinstall Windows Live Messenger or troubleshoot that
> issue. There have been reports of people upgrading to Vista with OneCare 1.5 in
> place losing all access to the Internet. It would not be a selective problem
> only with WLM. If you want to confirm that it is not a OneCare issue, turn off
> the OneCare firewall and try to sign in with WLM.
> -steve
> --
> Stephen Boots
> MVP Windows Live
> Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> sboots@mvps.org

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: Vista Install and Live onecare
dstrack,

Turn OFF the Windows OneCare firewall! You can turn the Window Vista
firewall ON and use that. I lose Internet access whenever the OneCare
firewall is on. I have reported the issue to Windows OneCare support but
have not got an answer back yet. I suspect I will have to uninstall Windows
OneCare altogether and then reinstall to get the firewall to recognize my
network properly. The Vista firewall recognizes my wireless network
correctly as a Residential Gateway but the OneCare firewall shows it as an
Unidentifed Network, and so blocks it.

My question to Windows OneCare support then was, "How do I get the OneCare
firewall to recognize my network as a Residential Gateway?"

No answer yet. So, turn OFF just the OneCare firewall. Turn ON the Vista
firewall to be safe while you use the Interent.

"dstrack" wrote:

> I am having a similar problem... I have Oncecare installed and cannot access
> the Internet at all after upgrading to Vista Ultimate. Assuming that once I
> shutdown the firewall in OnceCare I regain internet access what do I do to
> resolve the OneCare conflict?
>
> "StephenB" wrote:
>
> > Mark <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I know it says remove anti virus software, but would that include Onecare.
> > >I forgot to remove it and Vista seems ok, but I have an issue trying to use
> > >Messenger which wont sign in.
> > >Should I disable onecare and do a clean install.
> > >Thanks
> > >Mark

> > Since I assume that you have Internet access in general after the upgrade, I
> > suspect you may need to reinstall Windows Live Messenger or troubleshoot that
> > issue. There have been reports of people upgrading to Vista with OneCare 1.5 in
> > place losing all access to the Internet. It would not be a selective problem
> > only with WLM. If you want to confirm that it is not a OneCare issue, turn off
> > the OneCare firewall and try to sign in with WLM.
> > -steve
> > --
> > Stephen Boots
> > MVP Windows Live
> > Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
> > sboots@mvps.org

=?Utf-8?B?ZHN0cmFjaw==?=

Re: Vista Install and Live onecare
Gotcha thanks... assuming it all works I'll probably try to uninstall and
reinstall as well.... thanks!

dstrack <dstrack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Gotcha thanks... assuming it all works I'll probably try to uninstall and
>reinstall as well.... thanks!

If you choose the uninstall/reinstall route, which others have reported as
resolving the problem completely for them, be sure to use the cleanup tool after
the uninstall and before the reinstall -
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...areCleanUp.exe

-steve
--
Stephen Boots
MVP Windows Live
Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
sboots@mvps.org
=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: Vista Install and Live onecare
dstrack,

I did have to uninstall OneCare but I also had to make certain the Windows
Vista firewall was OFF as well. I tried uninstalling when Vista firewall
was on and the reinstall failed to solve the problem. When I tried it again
but with the Vista firewall off, the uninstall, reboot, install, reboot,
fixed the problem.