Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules

Jason

Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
Hi

I have a Athlon Xp 3200 NForce4 Chipset main board with 2 512 Ram modules.
During install Iw ould get the usual problems that perople have where it
will get to various stages and then freeze/reboot/fail.

Thinking it might be device related I removed usb devices/hard disks etc...
finally arriving at the RAM where I discovered that all my problems went
away when only one 512 module (pc3200) was present.

I have tried 3 other ram modules together and in different slots and no
combination works (together) however all modules work when only one is
present.

Using the one 512 module Vista Ultimate installed no problems. All drivers
found and installed and everything works fine. After a while I found Vista
too slow and so thought I would try and resolve my RAM issue and place one
of the other modules in. In doing so, Vista will boot but somehwere , at
random intervals, during the progress bar load phase the screen will just
lock up. Rmoeving the 2nd module makes the problem go away

Has anyone else come accross this issue? The same RAM works fine with
Windows XP pro . The only avenue I have left is to think that somehow ASLR
is very picky about the RAM and where it loads the windows files randomly.

Is there a way to turn off ASLR to test this theory?. I have the latest
drivers and bios updates and still no luck.

Thanks
Jason

news.microsoft.com

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules

"Jason" <jasonhnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Athlon Xp 3200 NForce4 Chipset main board with 2 512 Ram modules.
> During install Iw ould get the usual problems that perople have where it
> will get to various stages and then freeze/reboot/fail.
>
> Thinking it might be device related I removed usb devices/hard disks
> etc... finally arriving at the RAM where I discovered that all my problems
> went away when only one 512 module (pc3200) was present.
>
> I have tried 3 other ram modules together and in different slots and no
> combination works (together) however all modules work when only one is
> present.
>
> Using the one 512 module Vista Ultimate installed no problems. All drivers
> found and installed and everything works fine. After a while I found
> Vista too slow and so thought I would try and resolve my RAM issue and
> place one of the other modules in. In doing so, Vista will boot but
> somehwere , at random intervals, during the progress bar load phase the
> screen will just lock up. Rmoeving the 2nd module makes the problem go
> away
>
> Has anyone else come accross this issue? The same RAM works fine with
> Windows XP pro . The only avenue I have left is to think that somehow ASLR
> is very picky about the RAM and where it loads the windows files randomly.
>
> Is there a way to turn off ASLR to test this theory?. I have the latest
> drivers and bios updates and still no luck.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Did this motherboard work with the two modules installed prior to your Vista
upgrade?

Who manufactured the motherboard and what is it's model number? If your
board has memory slots of alternating color (blue-black-blue-black, for
example), try installing the ram in the 0 and 2 slots (blue & blue in this
case).

mikeyhsd

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
vista is more memory intensive then previous os.
found during testing that I occasionally got memory errors when running the vista memory diag.
running the same diag on xp , no errors.
eventually found one of the memory sticks was bad. replacing the 2 to keep a matched set, solved the problems.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

[...]

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

RE: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
I had a similar issue which kept me from upgrading. On my system I had 2.5gb
of ram. The extra 512mb was keeping my install from starting. Now the system
works fine with just 2gb of ram.

"Jason" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a Athlon Xp 3200 NForce4 Chipset main board with 2 512 Ram modules.
> During install Iw ould get the usual problems that perople have where it
> will get to various stages and then freeze/reboot/fail.
>
> Thinking it might be device related I removed usb devices/hard disks etc...
> finally arriving at the RAM where I discovered that all my problems went
> away when only one 512 module (pc3200) was present.
>
> I have tried 3 other ram modules together and in different slots and no
> combination works (together) however all modules work when only one is
> present.
>
> Using the one 512 module Vista Ultimate installed no problems. All drivers
> found and installed and everything works fine. After a while I found Vista
> too slow and so thought I would try and resolve my RAM issue and place one
> of the other modules in. In doing so, Vista will boot but somehwere , at
> random intervals, during the progress bar load phase the screen will just
> lock up. Rmoeving the 2nd module makes the problem go away
>
> Has anyone else come accross this issue? The same RAM works fine with
> Windows XP pro . The only avenue I have left is to think that somehow ASLR
> is very picky about the RAM and where it loads the windows files randomly.
>
> Is there a way to turn off ASLR to test this theory?. I have the latest
> drivers and bios updates and still no luck.
>
> Thanks
> Jason

Jason

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
Hi

Yes the main board worked fine with Windows XP Pro installed.
The main board is a WinFast (Foxconn) NF4K8AB with the latest BIOS update
installed.

I have also tries the ram modules in the various slots, same colours Vs alt
colours and I still get the same problem.
The only way I can get into Vista is to

a) Boot with only one RAM module.
b) Boot into Safe mode.

Curioulsy, if I boot into safe mode with the 2 RAM modules it works. However
I cant use Vista in safe mode all the time. Becasue Safe mode with the 2
modules works, this leads me to believe that maybe the ALSR technology is
not inboked during safe mode and thus it works?

Thanks for your help so far.

Jason

"news.microsoft.com" <ccastiglia@infosystemspro.com> wrote in message

> "Jason" <jasonhnz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Athlon Xp 3200 NForce4 Chipset main board with 2 512 Ram
>> modules.
>> During install Iw ould get the usual problems that perople have where it
>> will get to various stages and then freeze/reboot/fail.
>>
>> Thinking it might be device related I removed usb devices/hard disks
>> etc... finally arriving at the RAM where I discovered that all my
>> problems went away when only one 512 module (pc3200) was present.
>>
>> I have tried 3 other ram modules together and in different slots and no
>> combination works (together) however all modules work when only one is
>> present.
>>
>> Using the one 512 module Vista Ultimate installed no problems. All
>> drivers found and installed and everything works fine. After a while I
>> found Vista too slow and so thought I would try and resolve my RAM issue
>> and place one of the other modules in. In doing so, Vista will boot but
>> somehwere , at random intervals, during the progress bar load phase the
>> screen will just lock up. Rmoeving the 2nd module makes the problem go
>> away
>>
>> Has anyone else come accross this issue? The same RAM works fine with
>> Windows XP pro . The only avenue I have left is to think that somehow
>> ASLR is very picky about the RAM and where it loads the windows files
>> randomly.
>>
>> Is there a way to turn off ASLR to test this theory?. I have the latest
>> drivers and bios updates and still no luck.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jason

> Did this motherboard work with the two modules installed prior to your
> Vista upgrade?
>
> Who manufactured the motherboard and what is it's model number? If your
> board has memory slots of alternating color (blue-black-blue-black, for
> example), try installing the ram in the 0 and 2 slots (blue & blue in this
> case).

Jason

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
Thanks

I am going to try later today a single 1GB pc3200 Ram module to see if the problem is just having more than 512mb ram (I cant see this being a problem) or the 2 individual 512mb modules.
"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:OBw2uUTSHHA.3592@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
[...]

Ok - So I tried the 1GB ram module and it works fine no problem.

I then added another 1GB ram module and got the exact same problem with my 2
512MB modules....
So, im at a lost now as to what the cause could be. This happens on two
mainboards, the only component which is the same now is my AMD Athlon XP
3200 chip....

Could this be at fault?

> Hi
>
> Yes the main board worked fine with Windows XP Pro installed.
> The main board is a WinFast (Foxconn) NF4K8AB with the latest BIOS update
> installed.
>
> I have also tries the ram modules in the various slots, same colours Vs
> alt colours and I still get the same problem.
> The only way I can get into Vista is to
>
> a) Boot with only one RAM module.
> b) Boot into Safe mode.
>
> Curioulsy, if I boot into safe mode with the 2 RAM modules it works.
> However I cant use Vista in safe mode all the time. Becasue Safe mode with
> the 2 modules works, this leads me to believe that maybe the ALSR
> technology is not inboked during safe mode and thus it works?
>
> Thanks for your help so far.
>
> Jason

=?Utf-8?B?Q29zbWljcmF5?=

RE: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
.... reading all this I think I'll keep my Vista Ultimate DVD in the
bookshelves for quite a while.
All these people having those problems (including me), I'm just wondering
why these problems didn't show up during beta-testing.
And if they showed up: Why in hell doesn't that glorious upgrade-advisor
tell you to keep away from Vista?
For the time being a really had enough of Vista!

Adam Albright

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:21:01 -0800, Cosmicray
<Cosmicray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>... reading all this I think I'll keep my Vista Ultimate DVD in the
>bookshelves for quite a while.
>All these people having those problems (including me), I'm just wondering
>why these problems didn't show up during beta-testing.
>And if they showed up: Why in hell doesn't that glorious upgrade-advisor
>tell you to keep away from Vista?
>For the time being a really had enough of Vista!

I have 2 512MB memeory sticks and installed just fine, (2nd attempt).
You are right about the upgrade advisor, it has a pretty face, but
underneath it is mostly brain dead.

Are you getting specific error messages related to memory?

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: Vista wont boot with 2x 512 Ram modules
Jason,

Have your checked with the motherboard maker to see if there is a BIOS
update that might resolve the problem?

Also, you can go to this site, http://memtest86.com/, to download Windows
Memory Diagnostics (memtest86) to check your RAM for errors. The program has
to be burned to CD and then used to startup your computer (put in CD drive
and reboot).