Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFTY2huZWlkZXI=?=

Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
"expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.

Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
expanding data did not finish???

There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
I don't have a solution.

At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").

Does anyone have a clue?

PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
upgrades ...
mikeyhsd

Re: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
during early testing it was found to be helpful to turn off/disable any devices not needed during install via the bios.
things like extra drives (hard,cd/dvd), usb,serial,parallel ports.
turn off any over clocking.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"MichaSchneider" <MichaSchneider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5EE2DC6B-C67D-407A-A371-CADE78E76944@microsoft.com...
During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
"expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.

Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
expanding data did not finish???

There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
I don't have a solution.

At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").

Does anyone have a clue?

PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
upgrades ...
=?Utf-8?B?RFVNS0U=?=

RE: Me Too: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
I've got the same problem on Vista Ultimate. I try to install it parallel to
my XP Sp2 on disk D:.
After extracting 100% files it stops after reboot during "expanding files"
at about 20%-31% (it's different try by try) with same bluescreen:

STOP: 0x000000F4 ( 0x00000003 0x82FB3020 0x891B8CD4 0x00000000 )
win32k.sys
Address 891B8CD4
base at 89000000
DateStamp 4549aea2

Anybody an idea?

"MichaSchneider" wrote:

> During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
> "expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
> tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.
>
> Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
> boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
> expanding data did not finish???
>
> There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
> I don't have a solution.
>
> At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").
>
> Does anyone have a clue?
>
> PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
> upgrades ...

=?Utf-8?B?UmFubm9jaA==?=

RE: Me Too: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt

I am having the same problem as well. I have tried both the 32bit, 64bit
version of vista ultimate. Both fail for me. If I run the Vista install in
XP it will install to another partition as a clean install. It will then
reboot the computer after it informs me that it is time to reboot. After
reboot happens the computer will hang up on an installation screen. The one
with a blue/green fading background. If you leave it running for about 25min
to 30min it will finally pop up with an error saying it can't find the
partition and then reboots. After this failure it now constantly reboots. I
have tried the installation about 10 times now. I am going to try to do the
install without doing a clean install and see what happens tonight. But its
bogus if I can't install the upgrade in another partition in order to get a
clean one.
=?Utf-8?B?cm9udHJvbg==?=

"MichaSchneider" wrote:

> During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
> "expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
> tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.
>
> Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
> boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
> expanding data did not finish???
>
> There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
> I don't have a solution.
>
> At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").
>
> Does anyone have a clue?
>
> PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
> upgrades ...

=?Utf-8?B?cm9udHJvbg==?=

RE: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
You may have a memory problem, vista is very sensitive. Try only one memory
stick of 512K at a time.

"MichaSchneider" wrote:

> During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
> "expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
> tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.
>
> Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
> boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
> expanding data did not finish???
>
> There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
> I don't have a solution.
>
> At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").
>
> Does anyone have a clue?
>
> PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
> upgrades ...

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFTY2huZWlkZXI=?=

RE: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
@ rontron:

Do you really thing reducing memory capacity to required minimum would help?
I have 2GB installed and thought this would be just perfect.

@mikeyhsd

I thought it was good enough to pull out any usb-devices, but I might give
it a try.
Thanks for the info.
Hope Vista wouldn't crash after switching everything back on line in the
bios ...

"rontron" wrote:

> You may have a memory problem, vista is very sensitive. Try only one memory
> stick of 512K at a time.
>
> "MichaSchneider" wrote:
>
> > During installation of Vista Ultimate everything works fine until the
> > "expanding data" step is in progress. At around 20% done it stops and the PC
> > tells me it has to reboot after 9-8-7 seconds.
> >
> > Unfortunately this reboot does not work ("Disk read error"). The old
> > boot-section vanished and the new one is not yet installed. Probably because
> > expanding data did not finish???
> >
> > There is no difference if I do a clean install or an upgrade.
> > I don't have a solution.
> >
> > At least I got XP working again (repair-function and "Fixboot").
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue?
> >
> > PS: Upgrade Advisor said everything was fine; got new drivers, patches,
> > upgrades ...

=?Utf-8?B?RFVNS0U=?=

RE: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
I still tried out to reduce my ram from 1024MD to 512MB but it did not work
(tried both modules as single). Now i will put out my TV card (pynnacle
stereo) to see weather it is a driver problem...

=?Utf-8?B?Q29zbWljcmF5?=

RE: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
I don't think it is a driver problem.
Since the problem occurs during expanding of files before the first boot of
Vista, Vista is not actually running yet. How can it be a driver problem if
Vista fails to write the new boot sector before it's first start??

"DUMKE" wrote:

> I still tried out to reduce my ram from 1024MD to 512MB but it did not work
> (tried both modules as single). Now i will put out my TV card (pynnacle
> stereo) to see weather it is a driver problem...

Adam Albright

Re: Vista installation fails during first reboot-attempt
On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 23:33:01 -0800, MichaSchneider
<MichaSchneider@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>@ rontron:
>
>Do you really thing reducing memory capacity to required minimum would help?
>I have 2GB installed and thought this would be just perfect.
>
>@mikeyhsd
>
>I thought it was good enough to pull out any usb-devices, but I might give
>it a try.

Pulling out attached USB devices won't help. You need to DISABLE any
USB controller from BIOS and/or Device Manager prior to starting the
install, if the Vista advisor even hints there "could be" a problem or
you think there may be. Did you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor FIRST
that you can get from Microsoft's site? It is crude, but at least it
gives clues what may go wrong.

The best way to install Vista regardless if you're doing a in place
upgrade or clean install is first reduce your BIOS settings to a bare
mimimum. This step will reduce a lot of potential problems. Vista
comes with a lot of new drivers. The catch 22 is you can't access them
until Vista is up and running. So cripple everything you don't
absolutely need to install the OS.

This is the exact opposite of previous versions of Winodws where the
advice was to typically turn everything on first. With Vista, turn
everything off, then once you are up and running put everything back
one device at a time. Vista even has a cute little animated window
when it finds "new hardware" and does some hand holding installing new
device drives, but you got to have a basic bare bones system up and
running first to have Vista help you.