Vista Upgrade within Vista

Distorted Vision

Vista Upgrade within Vista
I've read about the using Vista Upgrade edition installing from within
Vista.

But does this allow you to delete the partition that contains the original
Vista installation? Allowing you to create a new partition to install the
final Vista installation on. To achieve a completely clean installation.

Ken

Re: Vista Upgrade within Vista
No you install the upgrade over the original clean install of vista on the
same partition. you then delete the windows.old filder.

Ken

"Distorted Vision" <r.patre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I've read about the using Vista Upgrade edition installing from within
> Vista.
>
> But does this allow you to delete the partition that contains the original
> Vista installation? Allowing you to create a new partition to install the
> final Vista installation on. To achieve a completely clean installation.

Rock

Re: Vista Upgrade within Vista
"Distorted Vision" <r.patre@gmail.com> wrote

> I've read about the using Vista Upgrade edition installing from within
> Vista.
>
> But does this allow you to delete the partition that contains the original
> Vista installation? Allowing you to create a new partition to install the
> final Vista installation on. To achieve a completely clean installation.

Vista is put down as a block copy as opposed to the file by file copy in XP,
so there are not bits of the old installation left in the Vista
installation. After Vista is installed the old installation is wrapped up
in the windows.old folder which can be deleted.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?bWlrZQ==?=

RE: Vista Upgrade within Vista
Does Anyone else think this is shortsighted on microsofts part?? Half the
time I install a new operating system is because I want/need the partition to
be reformatted, and all programs reinstalled.

If this is a way to make people pay for a non update version it is lame.

"mike" <mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Does Anyone else think this is shortsighted on microsofts part?? Half the
> time I install a new operating system is because I want/need the partition
> be reformatted, and all programs reinstalled.
>
> If this is a way to make people pay for a non update version it is lame.
>
> "Distorted Vision" wrote:
>
>> I've read about the using Vista Upgrade edition installing from within
>> Vista.
>>
>> But does this allow you to delete the partition that contains the
>> original
>> Vista installation? Allowing you to create a new partition to install the
>> final Vista installation on. To achieve a completely clean installation.

The way Vista is installed is different than XP. XP is a file by file copy.
Vista, even in an in place upgrade, is laid down as a type of image, so it
goes in as a clean install. For the upgrade, the old installation is moved
to a different part of the drive, Vista is laid down, then the programs are
installed in Vista from the old installation and data / settings migrated.
In the custom install which one can do with the upgrade version the first
process is the same, but at the conclusion of Vista's install, the programs,
data and settings are not brought in. So Vista's installation, even though
it might be started from the XP desktop is a "clean" install.

You have to get out of the old mode of thinking. There is a paradigm shift
with Vista.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]