One pc, one copy of vista!!

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaXVzMzU3?=

One pc, one copy of vista!!
I have a question so if it is one copy one pc, what happens when my MB fails
or something of that nature, do i have to buy a new copy of vista, cause if
so that is ridiculous. I understand the whole make a buck thing but can i
call tech support if the copy is registerd to me and have them add the new
hardware. Someone plz adress my concerns.
Mayor of R'lyeh

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
Marius357 <Marius357@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a question so if it is one copy one pc, what happens when my MB fails
> or something of that nature, do i have to buy a new copy of vista, cause if
> so that is ridiculous. I understand the whole make a buck thing but can i
> call tech support if the copy is registerd to me and have them add the new
> hardware. Someone plz adress my concerns.

yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
activation on a mac, no viruses, etc. good luck!
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
Simple, and no need to purchase Vista again.
Retail Vista can be reinstalled as many times as you want as long as there
is only one installation at a time.

OEM are more complicated.
Normally OEM can not be transferred to another computer regardless the
condition of the original computer.
However you can upgrade.
Some OEMs have chosen to tie their OEM Windows to the motherboard.
If that is the case, you need to purchase a motherboard from the same
computer manufacturer.

Read your specific EULA for details.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Marius357" <Marius357@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a question so if it is one copy one pc, what happens when my MB
>fails
> or something of that nature, do i have to buy a new copy of vista, cause
> if
> so that is ridiculous. I understand the whole make a buck thing but can i
> call tech support if the copy is registerd to me and have them add the new
> hardware. Someone plz adress my concerns.

Jim Fisher

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
"Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Marius357 <Marius357@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a question so if it is one copy one pc, what happens when my MB
>> fails
>> or something of that nature, do i have to buy a new copy of vista, cause
>> if
>> so that is ridiculous. I understand the whole make a buck thing but can i
>> call tech support if the copy is registerd to me and have them add the
>> new
>> hardware. Someone plz adress my concerns.

> yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
> change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
> since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
> activation on a mac, no viruses, etc.

Bullsquat. There most certainly are viruses for the Mac. Lot's of them.

Calling MS for activation is a 5 minute phone call and no big deal. Mac
doesn't have that because there is no need to do that. Almost no one owns a
Mac so piracy isn't a concern.

Mayor of R'lyeh

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
In article <wAFxh.23383$fC2.17425@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
"Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> > yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
> > change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
> > since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
> > activation on a mac, no viruses, etc.

> Bullsquat. There most certainly are viruses for the Mac. Lot's of them.

Incorrect. There are ZERO Viruses on OSX. There were about 60 on the old
operating system from the 90's. But there have been NO Viruses on OSX in
the last 6 years. It's just a better system since it's based on Unix and
that is the OS that doesn't allow Viruses to spread. (it's technically
impossible because of how Admin and Root users are setup) So when you
get a Mac, you don't even need Virus software, it's great!

> Calling MS for activation is a 5 minute phone call and no big deal. Mac
> doesn't have that because there is no need to do that. Almost no one owns a
> Mac so piracy isn't a concern.

Macs are the most popular PC's today. Sure there are more Windows PCs
still hanging on, but most people hate them.
Maverick

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
Jim Fisher wrote:

> "Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Marius357 <Marius357@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a question so if it is one copy one pc, what happens when my MB
>>>fails
>>>or something of that nature, do i have to buy a new copy of vista, cause
>>>if
>>>so that is ridiculous. I understand the whole make a buck thing but can i
>>>call tech support if the copy is registerd to me and have them add the
>>>new
>>>hardware. Someone plz adress my concerns.

>>yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
>>change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
>>since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
>>activation on a mac, no viruses, etc.

> Bullsquat. There most certainly are viruses for the Mac. Lot's of them.

Liar! Prove it!

I've used a G4 and a G5 mac for three years now, and nothing has touched
OS X yet. And I'm on broadband to boot.

> Calling MS for activation is a 5 minute phone call and no big deal. Mac
> doesn't have that because there is no need to do that. Almost no one owns a
> Mac so piracy isn't a concern.

Really? Seems like horror stories in this newsgroup is reason enough to
switch to a Mac.

Maverick

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
Mayor of R'lyeh wrote:

> In article <wAFxh.23383$fC2.17425@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>

>>>yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
>>>change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
>>>since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
>>>activation on a mac, no viruses, etc.

>>Bullsquat. There most certainly are viruses for the Mac. Lot's of them.

> Incorrect. There are ZERO Viruses on OSX. There were about 60 on the old
> operating system from the 90's. But there have been NO Viruses on OSX in
> the last 6 years. It's just a better system since it's based on Unix and
> that is the OS that doesn't allow Viruses to spread. (it's technically
> impossible because of how Admin and Root users are setup) So when you
> get a Mac, you don't even need Virus software, it's great!
>

>>Calling MS for activation is a 5 minute phone call and no big deal. Mac
>>doesn't have that because there is no need to do that. Almost no one owns a
>>Mac so piracy isn't a concern.

> Macs are the most popular PC's today. Sure there are more Windows PCs
> still hanging on, but most people hate them.

Hi, Mayor. Actually, it is a shame that M$ can't produce a decent
product this time around. We need good competition, but what I've been
reading in this newsgroup so far is starting to look like a nightmare
for a lot of people.
miss-information

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
"Mayor of R'lyeh" <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Macs are the most popular PC's today. Sure there are more Windows PCs
> still hanging on, but most people hate them.

Well, I don't know where your from, but here on earth there are now 665
million copies of XP installed worldwide, giving it 74.3% share of the PC
installed base. Other versions of Windows, not counting Vista, account for
another 190 million units, or 21.6% share.

The Mac, for all of Apple's (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) snazzy
advertising, has less than 1.6% share of the PC installed base. Linux, for
all of the millions of column inches devoted to its wondrous abilities holds
about 2.5% share. (All figures are from Gartner Dataquest.)
Microsoft’s achievements, making operating system software that works well
enough and is priced well enough, attracts 96% of the world’s PC users.

MICHAEL

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
Be careful using absolutes.

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...acosxleap.html
First ever virus for Mac OS X discovered

http://www.sophos.com/pressoffice/ne...2/inqtana.html
Second Mac OS X worm spreads via Bluetooth vulnerability

OS X has also been known to have a critical flaw or two.
Apple Computer Inc. late Thursday rolled out a monster update to correct 16 potentially serious
vulnerabilities in the Mac OS X operating system.

According to an advisory from Apple, the update corrects flaws that could lead to security
bypass, spoofing, exposure of sensitive data, privilege escalation, DoS (denial of service)
attacks and unauthorized system access.

Research firm Secunia has tagged the update as "highly critical."

> In article <wAFxh.23383$fC2.17425@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,
> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> > yeah, it's dumb. you have to call them to resolve it every time you
>> > change out MBs, that's why lots of people are moving on over to the mac
>> > since apple doesn't have silly rules like that, plus there is no
>> > activation on a mac, no viruses, etc.

>> Bullsquat. There most certainly are viruses for the Mac. Lot's of them.

> Incorrect. There are ZERO Viruses on OSX. There were about 60 on the old
> operating system from the 90's. But there have been NO Viruses on OSX in
> the last 6 years. It's just a better system since it's based on Unix and
> that is the OS that doesn't allow Viruses to spread. (it's technically
> impossible because of how Admin and Root users are setup) So when you
> get a Mac, you don't even need Virus software, it's great!
>
>> Calling MS for activation is a 5 minute phone call and no big deal. Mac
>> doesn't have that because there is no need to do that. Almost no one owns a
>> Mac so piracy isn't a concern.

> Macs are the most popular PC's today. Sure there are more Windows PCs
> still hanging on, but most people hate them.

Contrid

Re: One pc, one copy of vista!!
I'm having the same problem here.
Installed a new motherboard, cpu and memory and cannot activate Vista.
Where do I find the contact information to sort this out?