The upgrade was canceled

=?Utf-8?B?RWxpZWw=?=

The upgrade was canceled
I am upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home to Vista Business.
My computer has all recommended system requirements.
After "checking compatibility online" no problem was found. BUT, I CANNOT
complete the instalation. The follwing is the only message shown before it
returns to XP.

"Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue"

Please, help!
Adam Albright

Re: The upgrade was canceled
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 18:18:00 -0800, Eliel
<Eliel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home to Vista Business.
>My computer has all recommended system requirements.
>After "checking compatibility online" no problem was found. BUT, I CANNOT
>complete the instalation. The follwing is the only message shown before it
>returns to XP.
>
>"Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue"
>
>Please, help!

It is becoming painfully obvious Vista is basically half tested junk
that has all kinds of unresolved issues, probably mostly related to
drivers.

When I tell you I'm an experienced PC user, I mean since the late
70's, that's over 20 years, not just a few. If I can't get Vista to
install after installing every other version of Windows ever made
hundreds of times on as many machines, something is very seriously
wrong with Vista. Very wrong indeed.

That does not mean Vista doesn't work. It obviously works for some.
But if Microsoft is lame enough to release a Vista Upgrade Agent that
is suppose to be capable of passing your system as OK to install Vista
or tell you what to do to make it so and then the actual software
falls flat on its face during the actual install process as it
apparently did for you as it has for me and who knows how many others,
then Bill Gates needs to hang his head in shame for again duping the
public with another piece of Microsoft crap that still is nowhere near
ready for release and that sadly seems to be the point we're at.

Maverick

Re: The upgrade was canceled
Eliel wrote:

> I am upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home to Vista Business.
> My computer has all recommended system requirements.
> After "checking compatibility online" no problem was found. BUT, I CANNOT
> complete the instalation. The follwing is the only message shown before it
> returns to XP.
>
> "Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue"
>
> Please, help!

Sorry, but there isn't any help in this situation other than finding a
utility that will erase your hard drive at the low level and doing a low
level reformat... and then doing a clean install... but that would
require an OEM version.
But that is typical of Microsoft of not putting a more explanatory
reason for why it can't continue. A very poor programming practice.
Michael Jennings

Re: The upgrade was canceled
It's too mysterious for me, too, but here are two links:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...a01b01033.mspx
click on "show all" - you may have omitted a prep step.
If it still balks, live chat support may be available to you:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/...=1&gprid=11732

"Eliel" <Eliel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home to Vista Business.
> My computer has all recommended system requirements.
> After "checking compatibility online" no problem was found. BUT, I CANNOT
> complete the instalation. The follwing is the only message shown before it
> returns to XP.
>
> "Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue"
>
> Please, help!

=?Utf-8?B?RGFycmVsbA==?=

Re: The upgrade was canceled
hmmm.. 2nd time trying to put this up..
There is a way to do a clean install with Upgrade software.. Read this link..

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp

Good Luck!
DFC
--
Darrell Crone
corpsman.com

"Maverick" wrote:

> Eliel wrote:
>
> > I am upgrading from Windows XP SP2 Home to Vista Business.
> > My computer has all recommended system requirements.
> > After "checking compatibility online" no problem was found. BUT, I CANNOT
> > complete the instalation. The follwing is the only message shown before it
> > returns to XP.
> >
> > "Windows installation encountered an error and cannot continue"
> >
> > Please, help!

> Sorry, but there isn't any help in this situation other than finding a
> utility that will erase your hard drive at the low level and doing a low
> level reformat... and then doing a clean install... but that would
> require an OEM version.
> But that is typical of Microsoft of not putting a more explanatory
> reason for why it can't continue. A very poor programming practice.

mikeyhsd

Re: The upgrade was canceled
one thing that has helped for MANY others is to turn off/disconnect any devices not needed during install/upgrade via the bios.
things like extra hard drives, cd/dvd drives, usb , serial,parallel ports.
after the upgrade is successful, you can then go back into the bios and turn the devices back on and allow visa to find and install the appropriate drivers.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

Darrell wrote:

> hmmm.. 2nd time trying to put this up..
> There is a way to do a clean install with Upgrade software.. Read this link..
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...rade_clean.asp
>
> Good Luck!
> DFC

That is a very good site. Got it bookmarked for when any of my
relatives show up wanting me to help them.