Size of Vista Business Clean Install?

=?Utf-8?B?cGFja2FyZDg=?=

Size of Vista Business Clean Install?
Hi Folks,
I just did a clean install of a licensed retail full version of Vista
Business from within Windows XP Pro. I then Installed Office Pro 2007, AVG
antivirus, Adobe reader and a few other small progs then I checked the C:
drive>properties and see 39.2GB disk usage…????
I did a Disc Cleanup with the option to remove “old versions” of the OS and
that brings it down to 23.9GB used, but that still seems like a lot of bloat.
As I recall, a clean install of XP Pro & Office 2003 was only about 5 or 6
GB. Am I missing a bunch of temp files to delete? I’m tempted to wipe the HD
and try a raw install.
TIA
John
Robert Firth

Re: Size of Vista Business Clean Install?
Vista takes up about 7gb. Office might be about 1.5gb? Hibernation file take
1-2gb. So that is about 11-13gb...

Go check the size of your "Program files" and "Users" folders.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

"packard8" <packard8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Folks,
> I just did a clean install of a licensed retail full version of Vista
> Business from within Windows XP Pro. I then Installed Office Pro 2007, AVG
> antivirus, Adobe reader and a few other small progs then I checked the C:
> drive>properties and see 39.2GB disk usage…????
> I did a Disc Cleanup with the option to remove “old versions” of the OS
> and
> that brings it down to 23.9GB used, but that still seems like a lot of
> bloat.
> As I recall, a clean install of XP Pro & Office 2003 was only about 5 or 6
> GB. Am I missing a bunch of temp files to delete? I’m tempted to wipe the
> HD
> and try a raw install.
> TIA
> John

=?Utf-8?B?cGFja2FyZDg=?=

Re: Size of Vista Business Clean Install?

Thanx for the reply. The program file is 1.7 GB, Users is 3.81 GB (most of
that is prolly pix & docs I xfered). Must be some other junk
somewhere...think I'll try to reformat the drive and do a new install on a
raw HD..????

"Robert Firth" wrote:

> Vista takes up about 7gb. Office might be about 1.5gb? Hibernation file take
> 1-2gb. So that is about 11-13gb...
>
> Go check the size of your "Program files" and "Users" folders.
>
> --
> /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * Robert Firth *
> * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
>
> "packard8" <packard8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Folks,
> > I just did a clean install of a licensed retail full version of Vista
> > Business from within Windows XP Pro. I then Installed Office Pro 2007, AVG
> > antivirus, Adobe reader and a few other small progs then I checked the C:
> > drive>properties and see 39.2GB disk usage…????
> > I did a Disc Cleanup with the option to remove “old versions” of the OS
> > and
> > that brings it down to 23.9GB used, but that still seems like a lot of
> > bloat.
> > As I recall, a clean install of XP Pro & Office 2003 was only about 5 or 6
> > GB. Am I missing a bunch of temp files to delete? I’m tempted to wipe the
> > HD
> > and try a raw install.
> > TIA
> > John

=?Utf-8?B?RW1vcnkgVGVjaA==?=

Re: Size of Vista Business Clean Install?
I was just going to say you need to do that. If it is giving you an option to
remove the old OS then you really did not do a clean install. Doing it from a
formatted drive with all those apps you mentioned should not be more than 7
gb. I usually disable hibernation as it is just a waste of diskspace anyways.

"packard8" wrote:

> Thanx for the reply. The program file is 1.7 GB, Users is 3.81 GB (most of
> that is prolly pix & docs I xfered). Must be some other junk
> somewhere...think I'll try to reformat the drive and do a new install on a
> raw HD..????
>
> "Robert Firth" wrote:
>
> > Vista takes up about 7gb. Office might be about 1.5gb? Hibernation file take
> > 1-2gb. So that is about 11-13gb...
> >
> > Go check the size of your "Program files" and "Users" folders.
> >
> > --
> > /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> > * Robert Firth *
> > * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
> > * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
> > * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
> >
> > "packard8" <packard8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Folks,
> > > I just did a clean install of a licensed retail full version of Vista
> > > Business from within Windows XP Pro. I then Installed Office Pro 2007, AVG
> > > antivirus, Adobe reader and a few other small progs then I checked the C:
> > > drive>properties and see 39.2GB disk usage…????
> > > I did a Disc Cleanup with the option to remove “old versions” of the OS
> > > and
> > > that brings it down to 23.9GB used, but that still seems like a lot of
> > > bloat.
> > > As I recall, a clean install of XP Pro & Office 2003 was only about 5 or 6
> > > GB. Am I missing a bunch of temp files to delete? I’m tempted to wipe the
> > > HD
> > > and try a raw install.
> > > TIA
> > > John

=?Utf-8?B?cGFja2FyZDg=?=

Re: Size of Vista Business Clean Install?
Well, I just did that and after xfering back docs, pix, Office 2007 Acrobat,
etc etc I've used about 15 GB of HD space.....more like what I would expect.

Thanks, all