Vista Ultimate installation problems

=?Utf-8?B?Y2FzYXdhaWtpa2k=?=

Vista Ultimate installation problems
I just installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my laptop. I have a Toshiba
Satellite Intel Centrino with dual processor and 1G of ram. So nothing Vista
should have too many problems with. What is my computer still level? I have
owned about 7 computers in my life. I can do pretty much everything but
programming. I'm not a computer nerd, but I'm smarter than any of my friends
when it comes to computers. I'm not trying to be technical here, only
speaking in layman's language.

The upgrade took about 2 hours. I installed it on top of Windows XP so I
could keep all my files and settings. Everything seemed to go smooth. I did
the Advisor before hand and deleted the programs that Vista said were not
compatible. The advisor had no big issues. I logged on and found out my
antivirus from Computer Associates no longer works. I am trying to figure it
out. I've tried to do a complete uninstall of my antivirus but it would not
accept it. So I did a reinstall but still no luck with the latest program
from Computer Associates website. The website says there are issues to still
be resolved. I can tell something is really messed up. So I will figure it
out later.

Also have a few drivers not working. Nothing seems to affect the computer
now though. I guess I will find out later when I actually use the drivers in
question. I did restart once and it immediately told me I had a driver
problem. I clicked cancel and it popped up again. I click cancel and it
popped up again... it did it 4 times! So that was kinda irritating. The drive
was from Sonic. I'll find out if I need it later. It doesn't affect my
computer use now.

Also Windows Defender is a part of Vista so it found a way to block all my
network connections with my family computers. Spent a hour trying to fix it
but just decided to turn it off so I can make network connections.

And I did the Windows update. It said I needed 8 critical updates and 12
optional updates. This is a mess. I downloaded the updates and half of them
failed. Did it again, and still can't install half of them. And doing some of
the language updates took forever! I left my computer on at night and they
still were not done in the morning, so big problem here. So I'll ignore these
updates for now.

As for the computer... everything works the same. I don't see any increase
in speed as everyone talked about. I don't see any quicker start up. Same..
have to wait. To be honest... I see no improvement. Why did I spend $340? I
will probably end up doing a clean install because so far.. only the upgrade
sucks!

Well, the computer does move smoother... thats the only improvement I see. I
tried to do the photo gallery because Microsoft bragged about it so much, but
when I went there and told it to browse my photo folders... it said it will
slow down my computer a bunch while it brings them to the Photo Gallery? I'm
not sure what it was doing, but I didn't have time to wait for it to display
all my photos, which are in the thousands. It felt like it was moving them!
The old windows exployer is much faster and easier to work with. Maybe I'll
learn the tricks on how to use the photo gallery later since I paid big bucks
for it!

End result. Not worth the money. I have other computers in my home I wanted
to upgrade too. Microsoft has a family plan that allows any Ultimate owner to
buy 2 additional keys for $49 each. That is the main reason I got the
expensive Vista Ultimate. But for the improvement I see now that I've had
Windows Vista for about 15 hours.... it is not worth it.

My only other option is to do a clean install and start from scratch. Then I
can see if that is the best way to use Vista. ...... not happy! I guess I'll
do that later today because I'm getting tired of trying to patch this thing
up.
AJR

Re: Vista Ultimate installation problems
I only "scanned" your post - however the Advisor usually has two outputs -
one details applications, drivers, etc., that may not function afterwards
and may require reinstallation - the second details those items that must be
removed prior to installations of Vista.
The issue of Sonic (Roxio) drivers has been well documented. As for the
updates - quote " Did it again, and still can't install half of them. And
doing some of the language updates took forever! I left my computer on at
night and they
still were not done in the morning,"

You start your post by explaining that you know your way around computers
friend only a layman would attempt to download twelve language packs - and
for what reason!!

Understand that many updates are optional - it is not necessary to download
every update - doing so will keep you up half the night downloading and
installing.

Finally - how many times has it been stated and repeated - uninstall
anti-virus programs prior to installing the OS.