Question about deleting XP from a different partition (can't forma

=?Utf-8?B?TWFq?=

Question about deleting XP from a different partition (can't forma
Hi,

I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too small
for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase XP
completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because it's
a "system partition."

What I want to accomplish is to

1. Delete XP from C
2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
3. Reinstall vista on C
4. Delete old vista from D

Please help, thank you.
Maverick

Re: Question about deleting XP from a different partition (can'tforma
Maj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too small
> for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase XP
> completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because it's
> a "system partition."
>
> What I want to accomplish is to
>
> 1. Delete XP from C
> 2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
> 3. Reinstall vista on C
> 4. Delete old vista from D
>
> Please help, thank you.

I may be mistaken here, but from past experience all Microsoft operating
systems want the C drive or partition as the boot partition to be
installed in.
=?Utf-8?B?TWFq?=

"Maverick" wrote:

> Maj wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too small
> > for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase XP
> > completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because it's
> > a "system partition."
> >
> > What I want to accomplish is to
> >
> > 1. Delete XP from C
> > 2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
> > 3. Reinstall vista on C
> > 4. Delete old vista from D
> >
> > Please help, thank you.

> I may be mistaken here, but from past experience all Microsoft operating
> systems want the C drive or partition as the boot partition to be
> installed in.

Yes? That really didn't answer my question. What should I do to install
Vista on C? Should I uninstall vista first?
Warren Miller

"Maj" <Maj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too
> small
> for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase
> XP
> completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because
> it's
> a "system partition."
>
> What I want to accomplish is to
>
> 1. Delete XP from C
> 2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
> 3. Reinstall vista on C
> 4. Delete old vista from D
>
> Please help, thank you.

Start > Run > type in diskmgmt.msc and press OK > Then right click all
partitions except your C: drive on the drive and remove them. Then install
Vista or use Vista install to the new partition after you confirm that a new
install is wanted. (You have to prove XP to install upgrade.) Change the
partition size to meet specs, Quick format, and install.

Miller

=?Utf-8?B?TWFq?=

"Warren Miller" wrote:

> "Maj" <Maj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too
> > small
> > for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase
> > XP
> > completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because
> > it's
> > a "system partition."
> >
> > What I want to accomplish is to
> >
> > 1. Delete XP from C
> > 2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
> > 3. Reinstall vista on C
> > 4. Delete old vista from D
> >
> > Please help, thank you.

> Start > Run > type in diskmgmt.msc and press OK > Then right click all
> partitions except your C: drive on the drive and remove them. Then install
> Vista or use Vista install to the new partition after you confirm that a new
> install is wanted. (You have to prove XP to install upgrade.) Change the
> partition size to meet specs, Quick format, and install.
>
> Miller

You mean from XP?

Another problem is I can't log into XP from the Boot Manager, the XP or
"Earlier version of Windows" is not clickable, my keyboard wont respond. I
have to wait for the countdown to automatically load Vista.

Does this mean the XP partition is not working? Vista (D partition) works
flawlessly, though.
Ron Miller

Maj wrote:

> "Warren Miller" wrote:
>
>> "Maj" <Maj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too
>>> small
>>> for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase
>>> XP
>>> completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because
>>> it's
>>> a "system partition."
>>>
>>> What I want to accomplish is to
>>>
>>> 1. Delete XP from C
>>> 2. Resize C to be enough for Vista
>>> 3. Reinstall vista on C
>>> 4. Delete old vista from D
>>>
>>> Please help, thank you.

>> Start > Run > type in diskmgmt.msc and press OK > Then right click all
>> partitions except your C: drive on the drive and remove them. Then install
>> Vista or use Vista install to the new partition after you confirm that a new
>> install is wanted. (You have to prove XP to install upgrade.) Change the
>> partition size to meet specs, Quick format, and install.
>>
>> Miller

> You mean from XP?
>
> Another problem is I can't log into XP from the Boot Manager, the XP or
> "Earlier version of Windows" is not clickable, my keyboard wont respond. I
> have to wait for the countdown to automatically load Vista.
>
> Does this mean the XP partition is not working? Vista (D partition) works
> flawlessly, though.

No, it probably means that Vista didn't configure it's BCD (boot
manager) store correctly. I installed Vista exactly as you did, leaving
my XP install on the C: drive. After Vista installed, XP appeared on
the boot menu, but trying to launch it gave an error message about NTLDR
not being present. It turns out that the Vista bootmgr had simply not
included the drive on which XP was located (C. I fixed this by
installing EasyBCD and VistaBoot Pro. Both are freeware and can be
found by a Google search. Either one will work, but you can install
both; they're not mutually exclusive. Using EasyBCD, I noticed that
there was no drive specified for XP. I was able to enter "C:\" on one
of the entries, and EasyBCD then rewrote the BCD store on the C: drive.
That was all it took. These apps allow you to rename the entries on
the boot menu, change the defaults, and change the time that elapses
before the default OS is booted. I'm hopeful that one or the other of
these applications will fix your dual-booting problem.

That said, there's another possibility to consider. Are you using a USB
keyboard? If so, do you have "USB legacy" devices enabled in BIOS?
With many motherboards, you'd need to do that to allow a USB keyboard to
work before the OS (with its USB drivers) is launched.

Lastly, why throw away XP? Are you already positive that every
application you depend on and every hardware device you might need will
work with Vista? Unless you're in dire need of the HD space, I'd
suggest living with both operating systems for a while until you're
absolutely sure that you have no need for XP any longer.

Maj wrote:

> "Maverick" wrote:
>

>>Maj wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I installed Vista UPGRADE on my D drive because my C partition is too small
>>>for Vista. So XP is still in my C drive. However, I would like to erase XP
>>>completely (it appears on my boot manager), but I can't format C because it's
>>>a "system partition."
>>>
>>>What I want to accomplish is to
>>>
>>>1. Delete XP from C

If you are using an upgrade DVD, then you have to have windows present
before it will install.
You won't need any windows if you've purchased an OEM version.