I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!

=?Utf-8?B?c3VwZXJib2I=?=

I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
I hope someone from microsoft reads this comment. I want you to know how much
time and money I have lost in the last three days! I bought 2 oem versions of
vista on friday.Home premium to install on my hp "vista ready" laptop and
ultimate to install on my xp desktop.
The laptop installed impeccably because hp prepared it's computer for the
change. On the other hand, my desktop is inoperational. after three attempts
to install vista, I changed the dvd player, then the hard drive and then the
mother board!!! over 1000$ spent and not only do I continue to get blue
screens while installing vista, I now cannot even reinstall xp.I consider my
self computer-litrerate and I built all my computers since windows 98.I have
never seen such a mess and I know I will never get any help and/or
reimbursement from Microsoft!! Shame on you!! i trusted you enough to buy 2
of your new softwares and your support infrastructure is inaccessible,
stressful, and practically inexistant . I have fought against using a mac for
12 years, but if this issues is not worked out ,I will be forced to buy a
new computerand it will be a mac .I hope many other people who are certainly
losing between 500 and 1000 dollars per installation (on money we cannot
afford to lose) will do the same!
my system asus p5b-e /pentium 4 double core /over 2000 ram/ 2 sata 3
drives of 300 gb/ asus eax 1950 graphic card with 256 mb/ and nothing
works with vista!!! can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and it would
resectful if someone from microsoft would apologise publically for the stress
they are causing me as as well as many others. Robert Isaac
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
Please explain what you mean by "nothing works with vista!!!"

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"superbob" wrote:

[...]
Robert Moir

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
superbob wrote:
[snip]
> The laptop installed impeccably because hp prepared it's computer for
> the change. On the other hand, my desktop is inoperational. after
> three attempts to install vista, I changed the dvd player, then the
> hard drive and then the mother board!!! over 1000$ spent and not only
> do I continue to get blue screens while installing vista, I now
> cannot even reinstall xp.I consider my self computer-litrerate and I
> built all my computers since windows 98.

If it installs ok on your HP laptop it obviously isn't that Vista 'just
plain doesn't work'. No offence but I'd wonder about hardware issues on the
desktop under the circumstances. I've been building computers for years
myself and I still pick bad combinations of products sometimes, or do
something boneheaded with configs. It happens to us all.

> I have never seen such a mess
> and I know I will never get any help and/or reimbursement from
> Microsoft!! Shame on you!! i trusted you enough to buy 2 of your new
> softwares and your support infrastructure is inaccessible, stressful,
> and practically inexistant .

As for the support issue, you _chose_ to buy OEM software, one part of this
is that the software costs less than retail precisely _because_ it doesn't
include support from Microsoft. With respect, you can't blame them because
you chose the option to buy the version of the product that doesn't include
support.

> I have fought against using a mac for 12
> years, but if this issues is not worked out ,I will be forced to buy
> a new computerand it will be a mac .I hope many other people who are
> certainly losing between 500 and 1000 dollars per installation (on
> money we cannot afford to lose) will do the same!

Good idea. I'm a Mac owner and really think people should consider one. But
don't believe the adverts (you already know the Vista adverts don't talk
about the problems YOU have with it, right?) - it might (arguably according
to some here) be better than Windows but it isn't perfect. You still have
odd errors and operating system bugs on a Mac. You still have people cursing
because the new operating system upgrade doesn't work quite right.

> my system asus p5b-e /pentium 4 double core /over 2000 ram/ 2 sata 3
> drives of 300 gb/ asus eax 1950 graphic card with 256 mb/ and
> nothing works with vista!!! can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

If you want to take a deep breath, calm down a second and describe what
exactly is happening, what version of Vista you're installing, what errors
you actually get, then someone will be able to take a swing at that.

One thing that springs to mind offhand, If you're using a P5b-e then you're
using the jmicron chipset for PATA and some SATA support, same as on my ABIT
AB9. Are you installing a Vista driver for this at the start of the install,
or at least have you set it to AHCI mode rather than RAID mode in the bios
(obviously this might have implications if you have other drives in a RAID
off this chip).

--
Robert Moir
http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

Jack

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
Sorry to hear about your problems SB. I am in my own small way a system
builder and really needed Vista to see if i could build a system round it. I
used my own system, Asus P5W DH. a P4 2 Core Duo 2 gig of Crucial Ballistix
Ram, Radeon X1650 with 512 meg and this is where it got interesting, I left
XP on one of my hard drives and installed Vista on another and for the first
time ran 4 SATA hard drives from the motherboard along with an external SATa
and a external IDE USB HD, A SonyDVD is attached on PATA,

All are Western Digital. I also have a Hauppauge HVR 1300. A Creative Zen
Mp3 player and a Canon and a Epson Printer and finally a Epson 4870 Scanner.

I altered the boot sequence and did a clean install of Vista Ultimate. It
went straight on without a problem, the sound and video were picked up as
were the onborad LAN and all other onboard peripherals. I could have used it
from there,

I then installed the downloaded drivers for the chipset, sound , LAN,
Graphics and TV Card. all went fine with one exception. The TV card seems to
dislike being used after watching a DVD or DivX film, but other than that it
has been fine. Both printers work and neither have Vists Specific drivers
available. The Scanner did have a vista driver available and that worked
fine. The Creative player works fine, the only problems i have had is a COM
Surrogate fault that i was informed was caused by NERO which i have since
updated and the problem went, and the fact that McAfee which is only a month
old will not work with it (yet).

So really i have had a directly opposite experience of Vista to yourself,
yet the components are not that far different, I am catching a lot of posts
etc on Nvidea graphics not working well but i don't know the card you
mention so i am unable to comment,

I can't for the life of me think what could have caused the Vista not to
install as the other components you mention are quality and should have
worked first time, the point i am trying to make is that if all the above
works without fault and first time then i am sure you will get yours sorted,
I certaily hope so anyway,

Adam Albright

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:29:56 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>Please explain what you mean by "nothing works with vista!!!"

Well duh... it seems obvious "nothing works" if you can't even install
the crap. If you can't boot into the OS, what do you expect people
suffering to say?

This is SUPPOSE TO BE a source of help. I haven't peeked into any
Microsoft groups for years, but things never change. These groups are
mostly infested with parrots repeating the Microsoft BS. Anybody
actually know anything that may actually help, step forward. I haven't
seen any help anywhere... yet.

Lets see a show of hands how many MVP's were also beta testers and
passed this pile of crap.

BTW, I used to be a beta tester for both Microsoft and another little
company called IBM, so I DO understand, way too well.

Adam Albright

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 22:44:23 -0000, "Jack" <jackdyson@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

>Sorry to hear about your problems SB. I am in my own small way a system
>builder and really needed Vista to see if i could build a system round it. I
>used my own system, Asus P5W DH. a P4 2 Core Duo 2 gig of Crucial Ballistix
>Ram, Radeon X1650 with 512 meg and this is where it got interesting, I left
>XP on one of my hard drives and installed Vista on another and for the first
>time ran 4 SATA hard drives from the motherboard along with an external SATa
>and a external IDE USB HD, A SonyDVD is attached on PATA,
>
>All are Western Digital. I also have a Hauppauge HVR 1300. A Creative Zen
>Mp3 player and a Canon and a Epson Printer and finally a Epson 4870 Scanner.
>
>I altered the boot sequence and did a clean install of Vista Ultimate. It
>went straight on without a problem, the sound and video were picked up as
>were the onborad LAN and all other onboard peripherals. I could have used it
>from there,
>
>I then installed the downloaded drivers for the chipset, sound , LAN,
>Graphics and TV Card. all went fine with one exception. The TV card seems to
>dislike being used after watching a DVD or DivX film, but other than that it
>has been fine. Both printers work and neither have Vists Specific drivers
>available. The Scanner did have a vista driver available and that worked
>fine. The Creative player works fine, the only problems i have had is a COM
>Surrogate fault that i was informed was caused by NERO which i have since
>updated and the problem went, and the fact that McAfee which is only a month
>old will not work with it (yet).
>
>So really i have had a directly opposite experience of Vista to yourself,
>yet the components are not that far different, I am catching a lot of posts
>etc on Nvidea graphics not working well but i don't know the card you
>mention so i am unable to comment,
>
>I can't for the life of me think what could have caused the Vista not to
>install as the other components you mention are quality and should have
>worked first time, the point i am trying to make is that if all the above
>works without fault and first time then i am sure you will get yours sorted,
>I certaily hope so anyway,

Nice to seem SOMEBODY actually trying to help. Frankly I've had a
belly full of clowns that have some false pride in boasting their
MVP's, then mostly mouthing off for some ego stroking. Good to see at
least a few people trying to help simply for the sake of helping.

My experience is extensive. Not only with PC's, but going back to main
frames way back in the late 60's. I've build more sytems then I care
to remember, in the hundreds at least. I've installed ALL versions of
Microsoft Windows, 3.0, 3.1, Workgroups, ME, 95, 98 NT and of course
XP. NEVER and I mean never, have I run into the type of issues or the
serious crashes that Vista seems to be causing for untold thousands.
Remebmer, most people probably only have 1 PC so if something goes
wrong can't get here to complain. We're only seeing the tip of the
iceberg and it ain't pretty from where I sit. What the hell is wrong
with Microsoft for dumping this poorly tested beta on the public?
Finshed product my rear end. Vista is flat out horrible if some piece
of junk called a upgrade advisor can't find serious problems after
scanning your pre-Vista system only for serious install crashing
errors be found half way through the actual install process itself.

Again I ask, what the hell is wrong with Microsoft for allowing this
crap to get out the door?

We're not talking minor crashes that may prevent some preferials from
working, we're seeing all kinds of reports of serious stop page
crashes DURING install from apparant video card drivers from major
vendors, ditto from major mother board vendors, hard drive
controllers, etc.. That simply isn't acceptable.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MICROSOFT and also the beta testers for
not catching these kind of EASY TO SPOT errors? These are NOT minor,
there are major and if Microsoft engineers or beta testers KNEW what
they were doing, we the public wouldn't be seeing them. Afterall, that
is th PURPOSE of beta testing. Five fu..ing years of development and
this is what we get? A half-backed bloated piece of garbage that
refused to install on systems that Microsoft's own upgrade advisor
passes. Unacceptable no matter how much MVP's whine and moan and try
to spin.

Richard Urban

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
Don't throw out. Send to me.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"superbob" <superbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone from microsoft reads this comment. I want you to know how
>much
> time and money I have lost in the last three days! I bought 2 oem versions
> of
> vista on friday.Home premium to install on my hp "vista ready" laptop and
> ultimate to install on my xp desktop.
> The laptop installed impeccably because hp prepared it's computer for the
> change. On the other hand, my desktop is inoperational. after three
> attempts
> to install vista, I changed the dvd player, then the hard drive and then
> the
> mother board!!! over 1000$ spent and not only do I continue to get blue
> screens while installing vista, I now cannot even reinstall xp.I consider
> my
> self computer-litrerate and I built all my computers since windows 98.I
> have
> never seen such a mess and I know I will never get any help and/or
> reimbursement from Microsoft!! Shame on you!! i trusted you enough to buy
> 2
> of your new softwares and your support infrastructure is inaccessible,
> stressful, and practically inexistant . I have fought against using a mac
> for
> 12 years, but if this issues is not worked out ,I will be forced to buy a
> new computerand it will be a mac .I hope many other people who are
> certainly
> losing between 500 and 1000 dollars per installation (on money we cannot
> afford to lose) will do the same!
> my system asus p5b-e /pentium 4 double core /over 2000 ram/ 2 sata 3
> drives of 300 gb/ asus eax 1950 graphic card with 256 mb/ and nothing
> works with vista!!! can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and it would
> resectful if someone from microsoft would apologise publically for the
> stress
> they are causing me as as well as many others. Robert Isaac

Richard Urban

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
MVP's do not have any power to stop Microsoft from doing much of anything.
What makes you think we do.

An MVP beta tester has no more credence than any other beta tester when it
comes to sending in qualified bug reports. You could have joined and added
to the reports. Did you?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban

"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:29:56 -0600, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Please explain what you mean by "nothing works with vista!!!"

> Well duh... it seems obvious "nothing works" if you can't even install
> the crap. If you can't boot into the OS, what do you expect people
> suffering to say?
>
> This is SUPPOSE TO BE a source of help. I haven't peeked into any
> Microsoft groups for years, but things never change. These groups are
> mostly infested with parrots repeating the Microsoft BS. Anybody
> actually know anything that may actually help, step forward. I haven't
> seen any help anywhere... yet.
>
> Lets see a show of hands how many MVP's were also beta testers and
> passed this pile of crap.
>
> BTW, I used to be a beta tester for both Microsoft and another little
> company called IBM, so I DO understand, way too well.

news.microsoft.com

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
I hate to do this, but I am about to make you feel even worse...

I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade a few days ago and installed it on my
primary PC at home. I was debating what to do about my son's PC and my HP
notebook when I came across a newsgroup post which points to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ydiscount.mspx.
It seems that "for a limited time" purchasers of Vista Ultimate can buy one
or two (!) licenses for Vista Home Premium for just $49.99 each! Basically,
you fill out an online form, enter your credit card details, and you get a
receipt with the new activation code(s). No need to download anything or
wait for shipping - you use the Ultimate installation media already in your
possession.

It's really one of the neater things Microsoft has done in recent memory...

"superbob" <superbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I hope someone from microsoft reads this comment. I want you to know how
>much
> time and money I have lost in the last three days! I bought 2 oem versions
> of
> vista on friday.Home premium to install on my hp "vista ready" laptop and
> ultimate to install on my xp desktop.
> The laptop installed impeccably because hp prepared it's computer for the
> change. On the other hand, my desktop is inoperational. after three
> attempts
> to install vista, I changed the dvd player, then the hard drive and then
> the
> mother board!!! over 1000$ spent and not only do I continue to get blue
> screens while installing vista, I now cannot even reinstall xp.I consider
> my
> self computer-litrerate and I built all my computers since windows 98.I
> have
> never seen such a mess and I know I will never get any help and/or
> reimbursement from Microsoft!! Shame on you!! i trusted you enough to buy
> 2
> of your new softwares and your support infrastructure is inaccessible,
> stressful, and practically inexistant . I have fought against using a mac
> for
> 12 years, but if this issues is not worked out ,I will be forced to buy a
> new computerand it will be a mac .I hope many other people who are
> certainly
> losing between 500 and 1000 dollars per installation (on money we cannot
> afford to lose) will do the same!
> my system asus p5b-e /pentium 4 double core /over 2000 ram/ 2 sata 3
> drives of 300 gb/ asus eax 1950 graphic card with 256 mb/ and nothing
> works with vista!!! can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong and it would
> resectful if someone from microsoft would apologise publically for the
> stress
> they are causing me as as well as many others. Robert Isaac

mikeyhsd

Re: I'M ABOUT TO THROW 400$ WORTH OF OS IN THE GARBAGE! THX MICROSOFT!
experience has nothing to do with bad/poor choice of hardware.
there have been and still are problems with SATA drives.

all you have done so far is rant and rave.
you were asked for information on what is happening.

have you tried turning off your raid and installing plain jane.
have you bothered to check for new drivers for your sata setup.

I have just the opposite problem mine is so stable it sometimes pisses me off that I have to formally schedule down time simply to do maintenance.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com