Error when changing product key after a re-install

spl1nter

Error when changing product key after a re-install
I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it happily
for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it was
getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times on
boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.

I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup a
couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD from
boot up.

No problem.

I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm trying
to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's valid
for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.

While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as it
wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's much
faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's a few
hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do (and
I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?

Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot be
bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.
Paul Randall

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
Now perhaps you understand the reason why an upgrade costs less than a full
install retail version. You get sucked in by the promise of easy
integration of your previous system settings and programs. You overlook the
fact that you must have a previous system to integrate. Yes, time is money.
You traded money for time when you puchased the cheaper upgrade version, and
you will have to pay with your time every time you reinstall.

-Paul Randall

"spl1nter" <spl1nter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it happily
> for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it was
> getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times on
> boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.
>
> I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup a
> couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD from
> boot up.
>
> No problem.
>
> I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm
> trying
> to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's
> valid
> for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.
>
> While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as it
> wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's much
> faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
> re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's a
> few
> hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do
> (and
> I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
> departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?
>
> Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot be
> bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.

Mark

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
Upon completing a reinstall and upgrade and installation of any of your
"permanent" applications and documents...
Make a complete backup.

Then, next time you need to reinstall, it will take less than 20 minutes, it
will be upgraded, all your apps will be installed and it's activated.

"spl1nter" <spl1nter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it happily
> for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it was
> getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times on
> boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.
>
> I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup a
> couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD from
> boot up.
>
> No problem.
>
> I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm
> trying
> to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's
> valid
> for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.
>
> While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as it
> wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's much
> faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
> re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's a
> few
> hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do
> (and
> I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
> departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?
>
> Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot be
> bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.

spl1nter

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
Actually, I didn't buy an upgrade copy.

It was part of the "You've bought XP so close to Vista launch, here have a
Vista disc" thing MS did.

"Paul Randall" wrote:

> Now perhaps you understand the reason why an upgrade costs less than a full
> install retail version. You get sucked in by the promise of easy
> integration of your previous system settings and programs. You overlook the
> fact that you must have a previous system to integrate. Yes, time is money.
> You traded money for time when you puchased the cheaper upgrade version, and
> you will have to pay with your time every time you reinstall.
>
> -Paul Randall
>
> "spl1nter" <spl1nter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it happily
> > for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it was
> > getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times on
> > boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.
> >
> > I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup a
> > couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD from
> > boot up.
> >
> > No problem.
> >
> > I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm
> > trying
> > to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's
> > valid
> > for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.
> >
> > While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as it
> > wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's much
> > faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
> > re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's a
> > few
> > hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do
> > (and
> > I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
> > departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?
> >
> > Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot be
> > bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.

Paul Randall

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
Yes, free is better than a discount off the full price. But you still have
to make an additonal time payment each time you reinstall.
I think you have two choices:
1) Reinstall XP and immediately upgrade it to Vista.
2) Try the custom install option to do a clean install. To find out how,
use GROUPS.google.com and search for the following; you can just copy and
past it:
upgrade custom clean install group:microsoft.public.windows.vista.*

I think after Vista is installed, you should use it a little to verify it is
working OK, including booting a few times. Then activate it and reboot a
few times, then image it with Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image or the
imaging software you are comfortable with. This is an invaluable tool if
you ever want to start over again (on reinstall, it should not require
activation and you have a known good starting point). Then I think you
should install all the updates available at your computer manufacturer's and
other hardware's mfg's web sites and verify things still work, including
reboots. Then install all the Microsoft updates, and test again that things
are working well. Another system image might be a good idea at this point
too. Then you can move on to your actual reason for having a computer -
install and update and run the software packages of your choice.

> Actually, I didn't buy an upgrade copy.
>
> It was part of the "You've bought XP so close to Vista launch, here have a
> Vista disc" thing MS did.
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>
>> Now perhaps you understand the reason why an upgrade costs less than a
>> full
>> install retail version. You get sucked in by the promise of easy
>> integration of your previous system settings and programs. You overlook
>> the
>> fact that you must have a previous system to integrate. Yes, time is
>> money.
>> You traded money for time when you puchased the cheaper upgrade version,
>> and
>> you will have to pay with your time every time you reinstall.
>>
>> -Paul Randall
>>
>> "spl1nter" <spl1nter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it
>> >happily
>> > for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it
>> > was
>> > getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times
>> > on
>> > boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.
>> >
>> > I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup
>> > couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD
>> > from
>> > boot up.
>> >
>> > No problem.
>> >
>> > I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm
>> > trying
>> > to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's
>> > valid
>> > for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.
>> >
>> > While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as
>> > it
>> > wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's
>> > much
>> > faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
>> > re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's
>> > few
>> > hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do
>> > (and
>> > I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
>> > departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?
>> >
>> > Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot
>> > be
>> > bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.

Mick Murphy

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
You DID get an upgrade copy; that was the promo.

People like you don't deserve any help.
You try and do things on the cheap, then whinge about it.

"spl1nter" wrote:

> Actually, I didn't buy an upgrade copy.
>
> It was part of the "You've bought XP so close to Vista launch, here have a
> Vista disc" thing MS did.
>
> "Paul Randall" wrote:
>
> > Now perhaps you understand the reason why an upgrade costs less than a full
> > install retail version. You get sucked in by the promise of easy
> > integration of your previous system settings and programs. You overlook the
> > fact that you must have a previous system to integrate. Yes, time is money.
> > You traded money for time when you puchased the cheaper upgrade version, and
> > you will have to pay with your time every time you reinstall.
> >
> > -Paul Randall
> >
> > "spl1nter" <spl1nter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have an upgrade copy of Vista Home Premium and have been using it happily
> > > for a number of months now - since about march/april. But recently it was
> > > getting a bit sluggish (the windows loading bar went by about 25 times on
> > > boot-up) so I decided I'd reinstall.
> > >
> > > I ran the CD but when it can to the partitioning bit (I wanted to setup a
> > > couple of partitions on my hard-drive) it said I needed to run the CD from
> > > boot up.
> > >
> > > No problem.
> > >
> > > I did so and created the partitions and installed Vista. But now I'm
> > > trying
> > > to activate it and it won't accept my product key because it says it's
> > > valid
> > > for an upgrade installation only and not a clean install.
> > >
> > > While I can understand where it's coming from it's very frustrating as it
> > > wasn't really a clean install. I was re-installing Vista (oh - it's much
> > > faster so that part worked haha). Now, I know I could just go back and
> > > re-install Media Center Edition and then run the upgrade CD but that's a
> > > few
> > > hours of my life I'll never get back. Is there anything else I could do
> > > (and
> > > I've tried phoning MS but they just sent me back and forth across 2
> > > departments until I just hung up during one transfer)?
> > >
> > > Worst comes to the worst I will just re-install XP but I really cannot be
> > > bothered as I'll have to re-insall all my software _again_.

spl1nter

Re: Error when changing product key after a re-install
It's people like you who shouldn't reply to these posts. You don't read
what's been written and have a pre-conceived idea.

Yes I DID get an upgrade copy, but I didn't BUY it (as was stated). I bought
a FULL copy of XP. I built my PC in November. I wasn't going to wait 3 months
for Vista to be released so I bought XP. MS then ran a promotion which I
used. I think that's perfectly fair. I wasn't trying to do anything on the
cheap and I'm not whinging. I was just asking if it was possible to not have
to install XP. This doesn't really seem to be the case so I will probably do
so.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say it. You just look
bitter.