Dual Boot XP and Vista

Darrel Dobbs

Dual Boot XP and Vista
I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for XP
and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the installation
disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to Vista. How can I
have access to both without using the install disc everytime?
Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?

Thanks

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Dual Boot XP and Vista
Not sure why you are having a problem. Though I didn't play with running
both OSes on seperate partitions. In my case, they are on 2 seperate hard
drives. XP is my Disk 1 and Vista is my Disk 3 (I have another games disk
which is disk2). I've not had any issues since RC1 with dual booting.

My only advice I can offer is to consider getting a 2nd disk, if you have
the space, you can get a nice little 80 gig drive for under $50 these days
ro spend $95 and get 320GB.

"Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
>I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
> The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for XP
> and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
> and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the
> installation disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to Vista.
> How can I have access to both without using the install disc everytime?
> Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?
>
> Thanks

Darrel Dobbs

Re: Dual Boot XP and Vista
I worded my question wrong, I actually have both operating systems installed
on two seperate hard drives.

"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:Z5ydnXwrzNZq01vYnZ2dnUVZ_ruknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
> Not sure why you are having a problem. Though I didn't play with running
> both OSes on seperate partitions. In my case, they are on 2 seperate hard
> drives. XP is my Disk 1 and Vista is my Disk 3 (I have another games disk
> which is disk2). I've not had any issues since RC1 with dual booting.
>
> My only advice I can offer is to consider getting a 2nd disk, if you have
> the space, you can get a nice little 80 gig drive for under $50 these days
> ro spend $95 and get 320GB.
>
> "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
>>I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
>> The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for
>> XP and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
>> and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the
>> installation disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to
>> Vista. How can I have access to both without using the install disc
>> everytime?
>> Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?
>>
>> Thanks

Rock

Re: Dual Boot XP and Vista
"Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote

>I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
> The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for XP
> and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
> and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the
> installation disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to Vista.
> How can I have access to both without using the install disc everytime?
> Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?

Get VistaBoot Pro install on either partition and set up the dual boot with
it.
http://www.vistabootpro.org/

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Dale M. White

Re: Dual Boot XP and Vista
Did you do an upgrade or new install. Is your install suppose to be a
upgrade, but you installed it to a new partition ? Since RC1, I've done
about 7 or 8 format re-installs and not had any problem getting the option
to dualboot. Seems really odd that you're having it, unless you're just
hitting some kind of off bug

>I worded my question wrong, I actually have both operating systems
>installed on two seperate hard drives.
>
> "Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> news:Z5ydnXwrzNZq01vYnZ2dnUVZ_ruknZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>> Not sure why you are having a problem. Though I didn't play with running
>> both OSes on seperate partitions. In my case, they are on 2 seperate hard
>> drives. XP is my Disk 1 and Vista is my Disk 3 (I have another games disk
>> which is disk2). I've not had any issues since RC1 with dual booting.
>>
>> My only advice I can offer is to consider getting a 2nd disk, if you have
>> the space, you can get a nice little 80 gig drive for under $50 these
>> days ro spend $95 and get 320GB.
>>
>> "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote in message
>>>I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
>>> The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for
>>> XP and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
>>> and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the
>>> installation disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to
>>> Vista. How can I have access to both without using the install disc
>>> everytime?
>>> Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?
>>>
>>> Thanks

Darrel Dobbs

Re: Dual Boot XP and Vista
VistaBoot Pro worked, Thanks.

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Darrel Dobbs" <bdobbs@highland.net> wrote
>
>>I have Vista and XP installed on two seperate partitions.
>> The only way I can access XP is by putting in the installation disc for
>> XP and repairing, but then the computer always boots XP,
>> and the only way I can boot back to Vista is by putting in the
>> installation disc for Vista and repairing. Then it always boots to
>> Vista. How can I have access to both without using the install disc
>> everytime?
>> Can I set up a boot menu? If so how?

> Get VistaBoot Pro install on either partition and set up the dual boot
> with it.
> http://www.vistabootpro.org/
>

> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]