Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows ME

Adam Albright

Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows ME
Because I'm in a catch 22 situation I had little choice other than to
return Vist Home Premium upgrade and replace it with a Business
upgrade for my XP Pro Upgrade. This was the least of the insane
options offered to avoid doing a clean install, because when you have
nearly two TB of files, yep, not GB, but TB, doing a clean install is
a time consuming nightmare that in addition to reinstalling all my
software and I've got over $10,000 worth that takes a couple days to
reinstall, register and activate, I would also result in having to
redo ALL my backups, (I use the excellent Bounce Back) since a clean
install would trash the files that control the backups spread across
multiple drives including several external drives focing me to backup
everything again from scratch, another long, time consuming
frustrating process that defeats the purpose of having backups in the
first place.

Well, I can report I tried to get my money back and ran into a brick
wall. I purchased the original Vista upgrade yesterday from one of the
giant retail outlets, Fry's. They refuse to take it back. Claimed it
is opened software and as such not subject to credit, return or
refund. Don't like it, in effect they said take it up with Microsoft.

After twenty minutes of arguing the license SAYS to take it back if
you don't agree to it and don't install it to no avail. Even speaking
to the store manager they still refuse, offering the limpest of all
halfass excuses, they couldn't resell it and would have to throw it
away. Yea sure, they couldn't put new shrinkwrap on it. So the fix for
that stupidity will be to call my bank that issued the credit card I
used for the purchase and demand the charges be removed which I assure
you I will proceed with after reporting this idiot store manager to
Fry's headquarters for him being a total jerk.

I then went to a MicroCenter store to get a Visa Business upgrade.
Fry's will no longer have me as a customer, and I've literally spend
thousands there just in the past couple months.

So far, not only did it cost me $40 more to buy a upgrade version I
didn't want, it has "features" I don't need, want and never will use.
Worse, it also removes what I DID want to try, namely Windows Media
Center which is part of the home premium version, but not the business
version. Way to go Microsoft, you continue to excel at pissing off
your customers and also continue to not understand your customer's
needs or wants.

I'll report later if in fact the business version does a in place
upgrade. Already hours of my time wasted, my original $160 in limbo,
and a future fight with my bank, perhaps Visa themselves and Fry's to
get a refund all thanks to some fool at Microsoft that thought it was
"cool" to design upgrades this moronic way.

If Microsoft was in any kind of business besides software, they would
have been laughed out of business years ago for being the arrogant
fools they always are.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows ME
Microsoft North American Retail Product Refund Guidelines
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/prod...und/refund.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Adam Albright" wrote:

[...]

Rock

Re: Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows ME
"Adam Albright" <AA@ABC.net> wrote

> [...]
> didn't want, it has "features" I don't need, want and never will use.
> Worse, it also removes what I DID want to try, namely Windows Media
> Center which is part of the home premium version, but not the business
> version. Way to go Microsoft, you continue to excel at pissing off
> your customers and also continue to not understand your customer's
> needs or wants.
>
> I'll report later if in fact the business version does a in place
> upgrade. Already hours of my time wasted, my original $160 in limbo,
> and a future fight with my bank, perhaps Visa themselves and Fry's to
> get a refund all thanks to some fool at Microsoft that thought it was
> "cool" to design upgrades this moronic way.
>
> If Microsoft was in any kind of business besides software, they would
> have been laughed out of business years ago for being the arrogant

If you want media center features and the ability to do an in place upgrade
from XP Pro then get the Ultimate upgrade version. I don't understand why
you would get the Business version which doesn't have MC and then complain
about it.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Adam Albright

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:54:12 -0600, Adam Albright <AA@ABC.net> wrote:

>I'll report later if in fact the business version does a in place
>upgrade. Already hours of my time wasted, my original $160 in limbo,
>and a future fight with my bank, perhaps Visa themselves and Fry's to
>get a refund all thanks to some fool at Microsoft that thought it was
>"cool" to design upgrades this moronic way.
>
>If Microsoft was in any kind of business besides software, they would
>have been laughed out of business years ago for being the arrogant
>fools they always are.

IT JUST KEEPS GETTING WORSE!

Is anybody surprised that Vista crashed for me? I got as far as the
first reboot screen. The first thing that obviously seems WRONG is I
see a dual boot screen, the choices being old system (XP) or setup. By
default it goes to setup in 5 seconds. Normal BIOS screens, then a
black Windows screen with the back and forth scroll bar, followed by
no surprise to me, a stop error. stop 0X0000007B.

I reboot go into BIOS change everything I had spent hours tweaking and
put everything back to "safe defaults". Save BIOS changes, which is
followed by more stop errors. Dozens of them, sometimes different. No
matter what, Vista won't proceed and just haults at the stop page.
Result a totally locked-up computer requiring a foced shut down.

Before that, during the initial stages of install the Vista installer,
says "Potential issues. Will not prevent upgrade, may cause some
applications or devices to no function".

Can you believe that?

Remember I ran the Vista Update Advisor, several times actually, it
gave a green check mark and found no problems. I went online, checked
for updates. It found none. Now I finally start to do the actual
install and the installer finds "potential" problems, says hey they're
not a problem go ahead, then crashes, so geez Microsoft, I guess they
were problems after all, that your junk couldn't find BEFORE I started
to install. So typical of Microsoft crap!

I'm not the pissed-off owner of Vista Home Premium and Vista Business
and neither version will install on a system designed for Vista that
Microsoft's Vista Upgrade Advisor passed. So far I've wasted 5 hours
and and out over $350 and now have a unstable system.

Anybody interested in what problems are now reported when Vista
Upgrade Advisor found none before, but the actual installer does?

Ready to laugh uncontrollably?

MSN Explorer and Windows Messenger 5 is what is claimed as a potential
problem.

Yep, that's right, the five years in development Vista OS chokes on
not one, but two Microsoft applications!

Stop laughing... afterall, we're talking Microsoft. These stupid
things ALWAYS happend with Microsoft crap.

Oh, by the way it gets worse...

Like I keep repeating the Vista Upgrade Advisor gave my system a clean
bill of health. It claimed oh you may after to update some drivers for
your SATA controller and the USB controller, but you can't do that
till you have Vista up and running, right? I actually have some.

It even gave a cute little visual icon of my graphic card, printer,
etc.., said (it lied) that Visa would work fine on my PC. Get that? It
claims everything is ok for you to upgrade, so you go out and buy the
damn crap and this is what happens!

Well now guess what else, the installer says NVIDA Display Drivers ARE
a problem. Well funny, since right now I'm staring at the box the
graphic card came in and surprise, surprise, it has the "built for
Microsoft Windows Vista" sticker right on the box. Remember the
Upgrade Advisor didn't find a damn thing wrong with the graphic card,
in fact is passed it! It again lied or is just useless. Take your
pick. Remember we're talking Microsoft crap.

I just looked at my C drive and thanks to the Vista installer I now
have nearly 3GB, that's right, 3GB of crap from a half way finished
install cluttering up that drive that isn't worth sh.t.

Thanks Microsoft, you should be so proud. <not!>

Adam Albright

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:09:56 -0800, "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> your customers and also continue to not understand your customer's
>> needs or wants.
>>
>> I'll report later if in fact the business version does a in place
>> upgrade. Already hours of my time wasted, my original $160 in limbo,
>> and a future fight with my bank, perhaps Visa themselves and Fry's to
>> get a refund all thanks to some fool at Microsoft that thought it was
>> "cool" to design upgrades this moronic way.
>>
>> If Microsoft was in any kind of business besides software, they would
>> have been laughed out of business years ago for being the arrogant
>> fools they always are.

>If you want media center features and the ability to do an in place upgrade
>from XP Pro then get the Ultimate upgrade version. I don't understand why
>you would get the Business version which doesn't have MC and then complain

I didn't want the Business version either. I was forced to "upgrade"
to that just to try to do a install in place avoiding a clean install.
Look at the mess it created. Your flip answers, go to the Mac store,
aren't funny. You want me to tell you what MVP really stands for?

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

Re: Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows M
Rock,

I'm with you on this. Adam could have easily obtained the information about
the various Windows Vista versions from Microsoft's website. But I guess he
really wanted to save that extra $50 that Vista Ultimate would have cost him.

So, did he settle for less because of $50 or did he REALLY want Windows
Media Center?? Or did he simply want to bash Microsoft because HE couldn't
make the right decision.

Too, he now knows (one would hope) to return his unused copy of Vista Home
Premium directly to Microsoft and NOT Frys. But I wouldn't be surprised if
he choses to beat a dead horse, so-to-speak.

> If you want media center features and the ability to do an in place upgrade
> from XP Pro then get the Ultimate upgrade version. I don't understand why
> you would get the Business version which doesn't have MC and then complain
> about it.
>
> --
> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Adam Albright

Re: Windows Vista biggest Microsoft embarrassement since Windows M
On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 14:48:01 -0800, Ed Stoddard
<EdStoddard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Rock,
>
>I'm with you on this. Adam could have easily obtained the information about
>the various Windows Vista versions from Microsoft's website. But I guess he
>really wanted to save that extra $50 that Vista Ultimate would have cost him.
>
>So, did he settle for less because of $50 or did he REALLY want Windows
>Media Center?? Or did he simply want to bash Microsoft because HE couldn't
>make the right decision.
>
>Too, he now knows (one would hope) to return his unused copy of Vista Home
>Premium directly to Microsoft and NOT Frys. But I wouldn't be surprised if
>he choses to beat a dead horse, so-to-speak.
>

>> If you want media center features and the ability to do an in place upgrade
>> from XP Pro then get the Ultimate upgrade version. I don't understand why
>> you would get the Business version which doesn't have MC and then complain
>> about it.
>>
>> --
>> Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Why are all MVP here parroting for Microsoft instead of actually
helping? If you want to dance, trust me, I can make your gys dance all
night long.

Rock

> [...]

>>> get a refund all thanks to some fool at Microsoft that thought it was
>>> "cool" to design upgrades this moronic way.
>>>
>>> If Microsoft was in any kind of business besides software, they would
>>> have been laughed out of business years ago for being the arrogant
>>> fools they always are.

>>If you want media center features and the ability to do an in place
>>upgrade
>>from XP Pro then get the Ultimate upgrade version. I don't understand why
>>you would get the Business version which doesn't have MC and then complain
>>about it.

> I didn't want the Business version either. I was forced to "upgrade"
> to that just to try to do a install in place avoiding a clean install.
> Look at the mess it created. Your flip answers, go to the Mac store,
> aren't funny. You want me to tell you what MVP really stands for?

I didn't say anything about Mac, not sure what you are talking about there.
I wrote MC meaning Media Center.

I'm also not sure why you say you were forced to upgrade to Business. Why
not get the upgrade version to Ultimate? That has Media Center, not
Business. I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning here. Besides no
one is forced to upgrade their OS, only do it if there is a need.

Personally, and especially with all the specialty software you have what I
would have done was get the full version of Vista, either Home Premium if
that will suite all your needs, or Ultimate if you needed certain features
VHP doesn't have, and set up a dual boot. That way you can keep running on
XP, and slowly work out the issues with your hardware and software. I would
not have attempted an upgrade. I would have done extensive research before
making the jump, so I would know what version I wanted, and how I could get
there. I would have researched the hardware drivers, and the software
compatibility by checking the vendor websites, and newsgroups like this.

I would have imaged the XP system first, even if doing a custom install of
Vista in a dual boot, so it can be restored if something doesn't work out,
and image the Vista system after it's installed so if something happens to
it the image can be restored rather than going through a reinstall of Vista.

Good luck.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Adam Albright

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:18:07 -0800, "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote:

>I'm also not sure why you say you were forced to upgrade to Business.

Because in Microsoft's legendary arrogance and mind numbing stupidness
it for reasons only know to itself and it money grubbing marketing
department decided people who already paid a premium price to purchase
a license for XP Pro, can't do a inplace install and "force" them to
purchase a version that has features of no interest at a higher cost
of course. Ditto for Ultimate version. I fail to understand why you or
anybody for that reason feel I and millions of other customers in the
same boat should paid $40 or more for features we'll never use simply
to avoid doing a clean install. Please explain YOUR reasoning to this
illogical Microsoft BS.

>Why not get the upgrade version to Ultimate?

Why should I pay more money when the features I want were already in
Home Premium? The only "logic" Microsoft may have used was hey the
customer originally bought XP Pro so of course he'll want a premium
version of Vista. Such absurd leaps in logic are grossly stupid. I
regret purchasing XP Pro. I have only rarely used the "advanced"
featues of XP Pro and do NOT wish to repeat that error in judgement
with Vista, so I'm "downgrading" to a less expensive version that has
features I want and need, not those I don't. Get it yet?

The issue really is why does Microsoft force customers wishing to
avoid the nightmare of a clean install to buy more expensive software
then they want or more importantly need?

That's like going to McDonalds wanting only a quarter pounder and they
won't sell you one unless you also buy cheese on it, a large coke and
large fries. Its absurd. NO customer would put up that kind of crap.
Why should purchasers of software be any different? Nobody here yet
has explained why I should be FORCED to pay a premium price to avoid
doing a clean install. That's simply arrogance on Microsoft's part and
I'm not too bashful to say it.

>That has Media Center, not
>Business. I'm sorry but I don't understand your reasoning here. Besides no
>one is forced to upgrade their OS, only do it if there is a need.

That's a strawman argument. I wish to upgrade for SOME of the new
features. Hint, the ones I want, not what Microsoft attempts to force
on me by trying to push be into a more expensive upgrade. While nobody
foces me or anybody to upgrade anytime a new OS comes out, I should
have reasonable expectations that Vista has been tested so it works as
advertised on products that have received the right to display the
Vista approved or build for labels. Obviously in my case that isn't
what's happening so of course I'm pissed off. Now pretend you wouldn't
be if you were in my situation. So far I bought 2 copies of Vista and
can't install either. I should do what, jump up and down and clap my
hands for my good fortune?

>Personally, and especially with all the specialty software you have what I
>would have done was get the full version of Vista, either Home Premium if
>that will suite all your needs, or Ultimate if you needed certain features
>VHP doesn't have, and set up a dual boot. That way you can keep running on
>XP, and slowly work out the issues with your hardware and software. I would
>not have attempted an upgrade.

You obviously don't have a system with nearly 2 TB of files on it. If
you did, you would run screaming from the room if somebody told you to
do a clean install and spend the next week or two suffering through
all the problems on reinstalling all that software, validating all my
data files and again backing up that monster load. Now can you
honestly say you would? Come on, be honest!

The whole point of a "upgrade" is to do just that... UPGRADE, not
replace. The irony is with Vista it doesn't matter, a clean install or
a upgrade in place still makes images files or so I've been told. So
the problems I'm having I STILL would have regardless how I attempt to
install Vista. I shutter to think what yet lies ahead if Vista is so
damn dumb it can uncompress the CAB files and copy itself to my root
drive,, but then get stuck. That proves it can write to the IDE drive
without problem, which is the ONLY drive it need to access. What seems
to be happening is Vista gets way ahead of itself attempts to
test/install/look for drivers it doesn't need to install. That again
is simply poor design and even worse testing. The time to update
drivers and test them is AFTER the OS is successfully installed. Not
during.

>I would have done extensive research before
>making the jump, so I would know what version I wanted, and how I could get
>there.

You're another guy that doesn't read half of what I said. Done all
that. Vista Upgrade agent PASSED my system and said it was safe to
install Vista. What didn't I do that I should have? The difference
between Home Premium and Business or another version is just a red
herring you're tying to dangle. The core elements are the same
regardless of version. I assumed you knew that. No?

>I would have researched the hardware drivers, and the software
>compatibility by checking the vendor websites, and newsgroups like this.

Newsgroups "like this" are amusing like political ones are often in
that the vast majority of posters don't have a clue what they're
talking about. In spite of me detail exactly the problems I've had as
ANYONE even come close to a suggestion other than take it back and
stick with XP? Well?

Maverick

Adam Albright wrote:

> [...]

> etc.., said (it lied) that Visa would work fine on my PC. Get that? It
> claims everything is ok for you to upgrade, so you go out and buy the
> damn crap and this is what happens!
>
> Well now guess what else, the installer says NVIDA Display Drivers ARE
> a problem. Well funny, since right now I'm staring at the box the
> graphic card came in and surprise, surprise, it has the "built for
> Microsoft Windows Vista" sticker right on the box. Remember the
> Upgrade Advisor didn't find a damn thing wrong with the graphic card,
> in fact is passed it! It again lied or is just useless. Take your
> pick. Remember we're talking Microsoft crap.
>
> I just looked at my C drive and thanks to the Vista installer I now
> have nearly 3GB, that's right, 3GB of crap from a half way finished
> install cluttering up that drive that isn't worth sh.t.
>
> Thanks Microsoft, you should be so proud. <not!>

Sorry you are having problems, but then...

Do you have a spare hard drive? If so, yank out your XP drive and put
in the blank drive and try installation. It might work.
If it does, then you can move over your files off the XP drive to the
new one, if you have room in your PC that is.

If all else fails... take back the Upgrade for a refund. Wait a year or
so to see if they've made significant fixes. If they don't...
Buy a Mac like I did. I just got so discusted with their whole mess
that I just switched and haven't really looked back since.
Man, this iMac is so stable that it is getting boring.