Dell E1705 BSOD on 'starting for the first time'

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueVQ=?=

Dell E1705 BSOD on 'starting for the first time'
I'm getting a blue screen error 0x018 'reference by pointer' when my vista
business install is almost compete. This is an upgrade install to xp pro,
even though the license is full. (The 'Power Together' promotion copy, no
phone support, thanks)
I believe it to be a driver issue, but there is no reference to this error
in the KB.
Startup Repair will run endlessly and never complete. I have let it go for
30 hours with no results.
I have the latest bios from dell that is supposed to be Vista compatible.
However, the other drivers will only load under Vista and the driver install
will fail under XP. (Motherboard chipset, nvidia 7800 go, sata driver,
bluetooth stack, etc)
I don't know enough to slipstream these drivers onto a hard drive image that
I can install from, and I do not particularly want to do a clean install.
Vista will not start in safe mode. I have tried to disable all advanced
options and devices in bios, all to no avail.
Is this horse really, really dead, or should I hold out some hope that more
flgging is in order?
=?Utf-8?B?SExD?=

RE: Dell E1705 BSOD on 'starting for the first time'
Hey check out my post called BSD during installation, I have some pics tell
me if it is what you see.

"TonyT" wrote:

> I'm getting a blue screen error 0x018 'reference by pointer' when my vista
> business install is almost compete. This is an upgrade install to xp pro,
> even though the license is full. (The 'Power Together' promotion copy, no
> phone support, thanks)
> I believe it to be a driver issue, but there is no reference to this error
> in the KB.
> Startup Repair will run endlessly and never complete. I have let it go for
> 30 hours with no results.
> I have the latest bios from dell that is supposed to be Vista compatible.
> However, the other drivers will only load under Vista and the driver install
> will fail under XP. (Motherboard chipset, nvidia 7800 go, sata driver,
> bluetooth stack, etc)
> I don't know enough to slipstream these drivers onto a hard drive image that
> I can install from, and I do not particularly want to do a clean install.
> Vista will not start in safe mode. I have tried to disable all advanced
> options and devices in bios, all to no avail.
> Is this horse really, really dead, or should I hold out some hope that more
> flgging is in order?

=?Utf-8?B?VG9ueVQ=?=

RE: Dell E1705 BSOD on 'starting for the first time'
No, I actually get to 'stand by while windows starts for the first time'.
And I'm puzzled by the error code.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Dell E1705 BSOD on 'starting for the first time'
Please contact Windows Vista Business Support:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?gprid=11707

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP