Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation

=?Utf-8?B?a2VsbHk=?=

Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%. So
I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.

Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want XP
gone so i can have some disk space back.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

pete

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
What version of Vista did you purchase........OEM??..Upgrade??...or Full??
The version will determine the answer
peter
"kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%.
>So
> I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
> with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.
>
> Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
> Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want
> XP
> gone so i can have some disk space back.
> Any help would be greatly appriciated.

=?Utf-8?B?a2VsbHk=?=

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
I already have the full version otherwise I wouldnt of been able to do a full
install. My question regards removing XP without removing the programs.

"pete" wrote:

> What version of Vista did you purchase........OEM??..Upgrade??...or Full??
> The version will determine the answer
> peter
> "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%.
> >So
> > I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
> > with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.
> >
> > Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
> > Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want
> > XP
> > gone so i can have some disk space back.
> > Any help would be greatly appriciated.

mikeyhsd

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
your boot information is on the "C" original boot drive.
not much hope of removing xp without wiping BOTH partitions and starting over with clean install of vista.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DF92BC-1387-418C-AFB5-A8DA867E2BB2@microsoft.com...
I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%. So
I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.

Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want XP
gone so i can have some disk space back.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

=?Utf-8?B?a2VsbHk=?=

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
Any way to rename drives? I would like to rename D to C and use it as a
windows system drive only. Is there anyway to do this?

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> your boot information is on the "C" original boot drive.
> not much hope of removing xp without wiping BOTH partitions and starting over with clean install of vista.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DF92BC-1387-418C-AFB5-A8DA867E2BB2@microsoft.com...
> I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%. So
> I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
> with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.
>
> Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
> Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want XP
> gone so i can have some disk space back.
> Any help would be greatly appriciated

mikeyhsd

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
it is not very easy. requires jumping through lots of hoops. not recommended.
cannot rename an active system drive.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> your boot information is on the "C" original boot drive.
> not much hope of removing xp without wiping BOTH partitions and starting over with clean install of vista.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DF92BC-1387-418C-AFB5-A8DA867E2BB2@microsoft.com...
> I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at 64%. So
> I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on C:
> with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.
>
> Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs there?
> Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I want XP
> gone so i can have some disk space back.
> Any help would be greatly appriciated

Rock

Re: Getting rid of XP after Vista Installation
"kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any way to rename drives? I would like to rename D to C and use it as a
> windows system drive only. Is there anyway to do this?
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
>> your boot information is on the "C" original boot drive.
>> not much hope of removing xp without wiping BOTH partitions and starting
>> over with clean install of vista.
>>

>> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>>

>> "kelly" <kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>> I tried to upgrade from XP to Vista, but alas I kept getting stuck at
>> 64%. So
>> I decided to do a full install on a partitioned disk. Now I have XP on
>> C:
>> with all my old programs, and Vista on D:.
>>
>> Now is there anyway to get rid of XP while keeping all my programs
>> there?
>> Almost all the programs I need work with Vista. The only thing is I
>> want XP
>> gone so i can have some disk space back.
>> Any help would be greatly appriciated

No you can't rename the drive that has the OS installation files on it (MS
calls this the boot drive) or the drive that has the boot files (MS calls
this the system drive, not intuitive eh?). In your case the boot drive is D
and the system drive is C. The only way to change this is to do a clean
install of Vista.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]