Upgrade DVD for clean install

Rick F

Upgrade DVD for clean install
I just ordered a new Dell Optiplex GX745 that is Vista Capable but I was not
able to get it with Vista pre-installed, so got XP. I have the Vista
Business upgrade DVD and even TechNet Vista CD set.

My plan is with the new Dell, to wipe it out as soon as I unpack it and
complete a clean install of Vista. In all the previous versions of Windows
you could use an Upgrade Version but during the install it would ask you to
insert your previous Windows version if it couldn't find the installation on
the hard drive. Once it verified, the installation would go off without a
hitch.

Is this same behavior for upgrades excepted for Vista? If not, what are
people doing then? Or what is the recommended approach?

--
Rick Faria - MCSE / A+
RDF Technical Services - www.rdfts.com

=?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=

RE: Upgrade DVD for clean install

"Rick F" wrote:

> I just ordered a new Dell Optiplex GX745 that is Vista Capable but I was not
> able to get it with Vista pre-installed, so got XP. I have the Vista
> Business upgrade DVD and even TechNet Vista CD set.
>
> My plan is with the new Dell, to wipe it out as soon as I unpack it and
> complete a clean install of Vista. In all the previous versions of Windows
> you could use an Upgrade Version but during the install it would ask you to
> insert your previous Windows version if it couldn't find the installation on
> the hard drive. Once it verified, the installation would go off without a
> hitch.
>
> Is this same behavior for upgrades excepted for Vista? If not, what are
> people doing then? Or what is the recommended approach?
>
> --
> Rick Faria - MCSE / A+
> RDF Technical Services - www.rdfts.com
> Email: support at rdfts dot com

Rick,

I'm a lay person but my understanding is you can do a clean install of Vista
but you need WinXP on your computer first to do so. I know Vista Ultimate
(what I have) will give you the option as you start the process but you will
have to have a means for backing up your important settings to an external
hard disk or other media using the Windows Easy Transfer utility first.
Vista will not check for an old version of Windows as WinXP would do - so do
not remove WinXP. You will just have to reinstall it.

Go to this link for more info:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx
Rick F

Re: Upgrade DVD for clean install
Thanks Ed. I really didn't want to "upgrade" because I don't want any of the
pre-installed Dell configuration and software. I want as "clean" as possible
installation of Vista. That link wasn't extremely clear in that regard.

Can I leave the XP on it as it came OEM and upgrade but during the update,
wipe out the XP partition once it identifies XP and install Vista cleanly?

I am thinking to get Virtual PC out and test different upgrade scenarios and
just see for myself how this all works. I don't understand how a "clean"
installed is considered "clean" if you have to have a previous Windows
installed. That in my mind, is an in-place upgrade which I want to avoid. I
don't care about the Transfer thing as this is a new computer and there is
nothing for me to keep or transfer per say, so that should be optional,
right?

I wonder why Dell and others aren't offering Vista version on all brand new
computers yet? Dell offers it on their Dimension models, but yeck!

--

"Ed Stoddard" <EdStoddard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "Rick F" wrote:
>
>> I just ordered a new Dell Optiplex GX745 that is Vista Capable but I was
>> not
>> able to get it with Vista pre-installed, so got XP. I have the Vista
>> Business upgrade DVD and even TechNet Vista CD set.
>>
>> My plan is with the new Dell, to wipe it out as soon as I unpack it and
>> complete a clean install of Vista. In all the previous versions of
>> Windows
>> you could use an Upgrade Version but during the install it would ask you
>> insert your previous Windows version if it couldn't find the installation
>> on
>> the hard drive. Once it verified, the installation would go off without a
>> hitch.
>>
>> Is this same behavior for upgrades excepted for Vista? If not, what are
>> people doing then? Or what is the recommended approach?
>>
>> --
>> Rick Faria - MCSE / A+
>> RDF Technical Services - www.rdfts.com
>> Email: support at rdfts dot com
>>

> Rick,
>
> I'm a lay person but my understanding is you can do a clean install of
> Vista
> but you need WinXP on your computer first to do so. I know Vista Ultimate
> (what I have) will give you the option as you start the process but you
> will
> have to have a means for backing up your important settings to an external
> hard disk or other media using the Windows Easy Transfer utility first.
> Vista will not check for an old version of Windows as WinXP would do - so
> do
> not remove WinXP. You will just have to reinstall it.
>
> Go to this link for more info:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

johnm

Re: Upgrade DVD for clean install
go here for full clean install instructions using the Upgrade version....
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1

"Rick F" <support.REMOVE@rdfts.REMOVE.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rick Faria - MCSE / A+
>>> RDF Technical Services - www.rdfts.com
>>> Email: support at rdfts dot com
>>>

>> Rick,
>>
>> I'm a lay person but my understanding is you can do a clean install of
>> Vista
>> but you need WinXP on your computer first to do so. I know Vista
>> Ultimate
>> (what I have) will give you the option as you start the process but you
>> will
>> have to have a means for backing up your important settings to an
>> external
>> hard disk or other media using the Windows Easy Transfer utility first.
>> Vista will not check for an old version of Windows as WinXP would do - so
>> do
>> not remove WinXP. You will just have to reinstall it.

Thanks, that is what I needed. Install Vista twice, weird but whatever, if
it works.
Have you done this successfully?

--

"johnm" <johnm@msn.com> wrote in message
> go here for full clean install instructions using the Upgrade version....
> http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1
>

> "Rick F" <support.REMOVE@rdfts.REMOVE.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks Ed. I really didn't want to "upgrade" because I don't want any of
>> the pre-installed Dell configuration and software. I want as "clean" as
>> possible installation of Vista. That link wasn't extremely clear in that
>> regard.
>>
>> Can I leave the XP on it as it came OEM and upgrade but during the
>> update, wipe out the XP partition once it identifies XP and install Vista
>> cleanly?
>>
>> I am thinking to get Virtual PC out and test different upgrade scenarios
>> and just see for myself how this all works. I don't understand how a
>> "clean" installed is considered "clean" if you have to have a previous
>> Windows installed. That in my mind, is an in-place upgrade which I want
>> to avoid. I don't care about the Transfer thing as this is a new computer
>> and there is nothing for me to keep or transfer per say, so that should
>> be optional, right?
>>
>> I wonder why Dell and others aren't offering Vista version on all brand
>> new computers yet? Dell offers it on their Dimension models, but yeck!
>>
>> --
>> Rick Faria - MCSE / A+
>> RDF Technical Services - www.rdfts.com
>> Email: support at rdfts dot com
>>

>> "Ed Stoddard" <EdStoddard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> Rick,
>>>
>>> I'm a lay person but my understanding is you can do a clean install of
>>> Vista
>>> but you need WinXP on your computer first to do so. I know Vista
>>> Ultimate
>>> (what I have) will give you the option as you start the process but you
>>> will
>>> have to have a means for backing up your important settings to an
>>> external
>>> hard disk or other media using the Windows Easy Transfer utility first.
>>> Vista will not check for an old version of Windows as WinXP would do -
>>> so do
>>> not remove WinXP. You will just have to reinstall it.
>>>
>>> Go to this link for more info:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx

johnm

Re: Upgrade DVD for clean install