32 bit vs 64 bit

Octavio

32 bit vs 64 bit
I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows XP
Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to decide
wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide that, and
where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
Thanks in advance
Michael Jennings

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.

"Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message news:OBY18AISHHA.2256@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows XP
> Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to decide
> wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide that, and
> where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
> I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
> Thanks in advance

Octavio

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
Thanks, Michael.
I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
would you recommend?
Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer, or
processor or something else that I might have now inside my computer? If
so, where do I need to look?
Please advise.

"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
> It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
> demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
> 32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.
>
> "Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message
>>I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows
>>XP
>> Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to decide
>> wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide that, and
>> where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
>> I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
>> Thanks in advance

=?Utf-8?B?cmV0aXJlZCBmaXJl?=

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
If your computer has a x64 processor, you can install the x64 or x86, if it
only has x86 (32 bit) processor, then install 32 bit(x86), if yoy have a dual
core processor, you can install either.......note: drivers for x64 are slow
in coming...

"Octavio" wrote:

> Thanks, Michael.
> I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
> would you recommend?
> Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer, or
> processor or something else that I might have now inside my computer? If
> so, where do I need to look?
> Please advise.
>

> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
> > demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
> > 32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.
> >
> > "Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message
> >>I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows
> >>XP
> >> Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to decide
> >> wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide that, and
> >> where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
> >> I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
> >> Thanks in advance

Octavio

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
I typed WINMSD in Run and I get the foloowing, among other information:

System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3199 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3199 Mhz

Can you interpret this for me and help me decide what is what I have? It
looks like x86, where do I find the information about the "(32 bit)"?
Also, why the "Processor x86..." information is indicated twice?

"retired fire" <retiredfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If your computer has a x64 processor, you can install the x64 or x86, if
> it
> only has x86 (32 bit) processor, then install 32 bit(x86), if yoy have a
> dual
> core processor, you can install either.......note: drivers for x64 are
> slow
> in coming...
>
> "Octavio" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Michael.
>> I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
>> would you recommend?
>> Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer, or
>> processor or something else that I might have now inside my computer? If
>> so, where do I need to look?
>> Please advise.
>>

>> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
>> > demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
>> > 32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.

Michael Jennings

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
RAM - random access memory. Vista 32 bit likes 2GB of RAM, but it's
limited - can't use more than 4GB. Start > My Computer > View System
Information > General tab indicates processor(s) speeds and MB of RAM.

"Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message news:enOIomISHHA.3948@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, Michael.
> I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
> would you recommend?
> Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer, or
> processor or something else that I might have now inside my computer? If
> so, where do I need to look?
> Please advise.
>

> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
>> demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
>> 32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.
>>
>> "Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows
>>>XP
>>> Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to decide
>>> wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide that, and
>>> where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
>>> I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
>>> Thanks in advance

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
Octavio wrote:

> I typed WINMSD in Run and I get the foloowing, among other
> information:
> System Type X86-based PC
> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3199 Mhz
> Processor x86 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3199 Mhz
>
> Can you interpret this for me and help me decide what is what I have?
> It looks like x86, where do I find the information about the "(32
> bit)"? Also, why the "Processor x86..." information is indicated
> twice?

The x86 means that you have a 32-bit processor. You have no choice about
which version of Vista to run. It has to be 32-bit; the 64-bit version will
not run on your computer.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "retired fire" <retiredfire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:C0960B89-F389-4240-80FC-ADBA7E03183A@microsoft.com...
>> If your computer has a x64 processor, you can install the x64 or
>> x86, if it
>> only has x86 (32 bit) processor, then install 32 bit(x86), if yoy
>> have a dual
>> core processor, you can install either.......note: drivers for x64
>> are slow
>> in coming...
>>
>> "Octavio" wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, Michael.
>>> I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
>>> would you recommend?
>>> Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer,
>>> or processor or something else that I might have now inside my
>>> computer? If so, where do I need to look?
>>> Please advise.

Octavio

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
It says Pentium (R) D CPU 3.20 GHz
3.20 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Do the 3.2 GHz translates to 32-bit? (Please clarify this for me, Michael)
If so, then I should install the 32-bit of Vista, do you agree?

> RAM - random access memory. Vista 32 bit likes 2GB of RAM, but it's
> limited - can't use more than 4GB. Start > My Computer > View System
> Information > General tab indicates processor(s) speeds and MB of RAM.
>
> "Octavio" <octavioven@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Michael.
>> I use AutoCAD (drafting program) and Word and Excel, nothing much. What
>> would you recommend?
>> Do the 32 or 64 cision is determined also by what kind of computer, or
>> processor or something else that I might have now inside my computer? If
>> so, where do I need to look?
>> Please advise.
>>

>> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It depends upon what you are asking the computer to do. If your uses
>>> demand more than 4GB of RAM, 64 bit is required. Otherwise install
>>> 32 bit - when 64 bit becomes mainstream, then you can switch.

Ron Miller

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
Octavio wrote:
> I am about getting ready to install Vista Ultimate (upgrade from Windows
> XP Media Center Edition) and according to the instructions I need to
> decide wheter to install a 32-bit or 64-bit edition. How do I decide
> that, and where do I need to look to find out what I have or what I need?
> I am not very computer savvy, as you see.
> Thanks in advance

If you were using 32-bit XP, then stay with 32-bit Vista. Not all
hardware devices have 64-bit drivers, and, if they don't, they will be
useless. In XP, 32-bit applications usually ran a little more slowly in
x64 Windows XP -- i.e., there was no advantage to the user to install
64-bit XP to run 32-bit applications. Unless you have an application
that you use a LOT that's available to you in its 64-bit version (there
are very few of these), do not install 64-bit Vista. If you have the
choice of x86 or x64 now, you can install the 32-bit version now while
retaining the option of upgrading to the 64-bit version in the future
should events transpire that make that version advantageous for you.
Barry Watzman

Re: 32 bit vs 64 bit
No, the 3.2 GHz has nothing to do with it; that's just the CPU speed.

The processor either supports the 64-bit instructions (IA-64) or it
doesn't (I think that in your case it probably does). If it does, you
can install EITHER the 32-bit or the 64-bit operating system, it's your
choice, and the processor isn't a factor either way. If it doesn't,
then you can't install the 64-bit version at all, so what you want to do
doesn't matter (until or unless you change the processor).

If you have the choice (e.g. the processor does support IA-64), then
it's almost wrong to say that there is a "correct" version to install,
or that you "should" install one version or the other. The choice of 32
or 64 bit versions is complex and has a lot to do with the hardware in
your system (ALL of the hardware, not just the CPU) and what software
you will be running. For probably 80% of the population, at this time,
the 32-bit version is probably a better choice, but it's a personal
decision and will vary from person to person and system to system.

The only thing that would suggest to me that YOU should install the
64-bit version is your use of Autocad. However, you should check with
Autodesk about the compatibility of Autocad with the 64-bit version and
what it's requirements would be. You may need a different version of
Autocad for the 64-bit vs. 32-bit versions of Windows.