Blue screen

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnk=?=

Blue screen
Hi All,

I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?

I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
backup I would have been done.
=?Utf-8?B?VE9OWQ==?=

RE: Blue screen
I have the exact problem! I'm already starting to dislike Vista. I'm trying
to install Home Premium, so maybe if I use a diff. version (Home Basic) it
might work.
=?Utf-8?B?dmxhZA==?=

RE: Blue screen
I got the same problem here!
Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
installation.
Check this link out guys:
http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
It might be helpfull

"Larry" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
> fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
> do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
> automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
> was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
> up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
>
> I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
> backup I would have been done.

=?Utf-8?B?TGFycnk=?=

RE: Blue screen
Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
following command,

c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc

This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.
This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
Problem solved.

I hope others have as much luck with this as I did. Thanks to whoever
posted the work around originally. I'm actually posting this message from a
running version of windows vista.

"vlad" wrote:

> I got the same problem here!
> Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
> for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
> installation.
> Check this link out guys:
> http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
> It might be helpfull
>
> "Larry" wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
> > fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
> > do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
> > automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
> > was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
> > up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
> >
> > I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
> > backup I would have been done.

=?Utf-8?B?dmxhZA==?=

RE: Blue screen
Thenks Larry!
I'll give it a try and let u people know if it works!

"Larry" wrote:

> Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
> video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
> reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
> following command,
>
> c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
> video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.
> This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
> before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
> and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
> Problem solved.
>
> I hope others have as much luck with this as I did. Thanks to whoever
> posted the work around originally. I'm actually posting this message from a
> running version of windows vista.
>
> "vlad" wrote:
>
> > I got the same problem here!
> > Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
> > for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
> > installation.
> > Check this link out guys:
> > http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
> > It might be helpfull
> >
> > "Larry" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
> > > fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
> > > do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
> > > automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
> > > was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
> > > up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
> > >
> > > I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
> > > backup I would have been done.

=?Utf-8?B?dmxhZA==?=

RE: Blue screen
Thanks Larry!
I will give it a try and let u people know if it works.

"Larry" wrote:

> Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
> video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
> reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
> following command,
>
> c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
> video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.
> This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
> before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
> and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
> Problem solved.
>
> I hope others have as much luck with this as I did. Thanks to whoever
> posted the work around originally. I'm actually posting this message from a
> running version of windows vista.
>
> "vlad" wrote:
>
> > I got the same problem here!
> > Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
> > for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
> > installation.
> > Check this link out guys:
> > http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
> > It might be helpfull
> >
> > "Larry" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
> > > fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
> > > do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
> > > automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
> > > was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
> > > up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
> > >
> > > I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
> > > backup I would have been done.

=?Utf-8?B?VE9OWQ==?=

RE: Blue screen
I really need some help with this Larry, Im not a very technical guy:

"Larry" wrote:

> Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
> video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
> reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
> following command,
>
> c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
> video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.

After typing the command, do you just wait till it boots? and Im guessing
there is a menu to easily disable the devices?

> This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
> before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
> and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
> Problem solved.

How do you go about downloading and installing the drivers again? Do you
have to go to the ATI website and download something that matches your
current drivers?
=?Utf-8?B?dmxhZA==?=

RE: Blue screen
Hey Larry. I tried what u said but it didn't work. The problem is that if u
try to open device manager after the 1st reboot it won't be the one from
XP....Anyway,I tried to open it before the 2nd reboot but it couldn't open
it During the instalation my directory chages from "C" to "x".....and when
I try to open device manager it gives me 2 choices of how to open that file:
1. with the help of internet or 2. by browsing the programs that might open
it.....so it's useless! SO I tried to open device manager after the 2nd
restart; I was able to disable graphic card's components but it didn't work
So,I don't really know how to access that device manager before the 2nd
reboot....If u have any sugestion,please help./

"Larry" wrote:

> Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
> video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
> reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
> following command,
>
> c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
>
> This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
> video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.
> This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
> before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
> and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
> Problem solved.
>
> I hope others have as much luck with this as I did. Thanks to whoever
> posted the work around originally. I'm actually posting this message from a
> running version of windows vista.
>
> "vlad" wrote:
>
> > I got the same problem here!
> > Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
> > for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
> > installation.
> > Check this link out guys:
> > http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
> > It might be helpfull
> >
> > "Larry" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I bought the Vista Ultimate full version and am attempting to upgrade a
> > > fully updated XP SP2 machine. Advisor runs fun, no problems noted. When I
> > > do the upgrade it gets to the last reboot and blue screens, then
> > > automatically reverts my system to its old state. Of course, the old state
> > > was not fully functional and after several tries I had to restore from a back
> > > up I made. Any suggestions? Anyone else have this problem?
> > >
> > > I must say I am not at all pleased with this product. If I had not had a
> > > backup I would have been done.

=?Utf-8?B?amFja3Nvbg==?=

RE: Blue screen

"vlad" wrote:

> Hey Larry. I tried what u said but it didn't work. The problem is that if u
> try to open device manager after the 1st reboot it won't be the one from
> XP....Anyway,I tried to open it before the 2nd reboot but it couldn't open
> it During the instalation my directory chages from "C" to "x".....and when
> I try to open device manager it gives me 2 choices of how to open that file:
> 1. with the help of internet or 2. by browsing the programs that might open
> it.....so it's useless! SO I tried to open device manager after the 2nd
> restart; I was able to disable graphic card's components but it didn't work
> So,I don't really know how to access that device manager before the 2nd
> reboot....If u have any sugestion,please help./
>
> "Larry" wrote:
>
> > Well, I found the answer in another thread regarding the ATI 1600 series of
> > video cards, which I have. During the part of the install before your system
> > reboots for the last time before bsd occurs hit shift-f10 and type the
> > following command,
> >
> > c:\windows\system32\devmgmt.msc
> >
> > This will open the new version of the device manager. There will be two
> > video card devices listed, the card and a standard VGA one. Disable both.
> > This must be done quickly as the install is continuing and you want to do it
> > before it reboots and blue screens. After it reboots the install will finish
> > and before you reboot again download and install the correct video drivers.
> > Problem solved.
> >
> > I hope others have as much luck with this as I did. Thanks to whoever
> > posted the work around originally. I'm actually posting this message from a
> > running version of windows vista.
> >
> > "vlad" wrote:
> >
> > > I got the same problem here!
> > > Everything goes well unitll the last restart.Then the blue screen appears
> > > for about 1-2 seconds before the PC reboots attempting to continue with the
> > > installation.
> > > Check this link out guys:
> > > http://mdavey.wordpress.com/2006/11/...reen-of-death/
> > > It might be helpfull

My system didn't experience the blue screen until the first normal boot when
it attempted to start the desktop. Now, every normal start blue screens and I
can only operate in safe modes. I occasionally get an error message about
stuck thread in a device driver identified as the video driver. The
recommendation was to slow driver acceleration to zero and to perhaps alter
the video mode. Since I can't configure the driver in safe mode nor can I
install the latest from ATI (Radeon 9800 PRO), I'm stuck. Any ideas??

jackson
=?Utf-8?B?ZGVuYjQ1?=

RE: Blue screen
I'm also having the same problem with a Gateway MX6447 Vista Ready Notebbok,
I bought a DSP/OEM Vista Ultimate Full Version, can coundln't install it, I
even took it back along w/ my GW Notebbook to the PC Shop I bought this at,
and after 10 hrs They could even install this..........How funny is that!, so
what i have now, is a very Preety Looking COASTER that cost me a lotta money,
and the to top it off, I was changed another 80 bucks for them to try to
install Vista Ultimate wicth THEY COULD NOT DO...........anyway here's my
problem when i try to install this DSP/OEM Vista Ultimate Version: I get a
Black Video Screen after the 1st Bootup and it JUST HANGS THERE) I tried to
do the disable WVGA FIX ,and the Command Prompt "devmgmt.msc" to get into the
device manager, but didn't have any luck, I have downloaded all of the GW
Vista drivers, but, cannot install the Gateway Vista drivers to fix this
problem, I KNOW there's a way, or some kinda workaround to install this OEM
version of Ultimate, but, I'm at a loss as of what to do? Microsoft WILL NOT
give me any support,due to this being an OEM, and GATEWAY WILL NOT help me
with this, cuz they don't know what to do? any Ideas that anyone has are VERY
WELCOMED!!! I was thinking about buying a Vista Home Basic Upgrade Retail DVD
($99.00 US) and then upgrading to Ultimate that way, will this even work?
I really don't want to spend anymore money on trying to install Vista
Ultimate, this has already cost 400 Bucks, and I'm NOT VERY HAPPY with Vista
at All!!!!