promise

=?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEQ=?=

promise
I cannot install from xp pro sp2 to Windows Home Premium. I know I should of
gotten the Business or Ultimate but its to late I broke the seal, lol. My
problem right now is that it wants the Promise driver (ultra.sys for the
ultra66 miniport) but it won't recognize that one and the Promise site offers
no new drivers so I have made no progress in installation at all.
I have to say this is the worst installation for Windows yet, all others
were very smooth.
pvdg42

Re: promise

"Ray D" <Ray D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot install from xp pro sp2 to Windows Home Premium. I know I should
>of
> gotten the Business or Ultimate but its to late I broke the seal, lol. My
> problem right now is that it wants the Promise driver (ultra.sys for the
> ultra66 miniport) but it won't recognize that one and the Promise site
> offers
> no new drivers so I have made no progress in installation at all.
> I have to say this is the worst installation for Windows yet, all others
> were very smooth.

I don't believe any other edition of Vista would have changed the outcome.

Did you run the Vista Upgrade Advisor on your PC before purchasing Vista?
Did it identify your Ultra 66 as a potential problem?
I ask only because a quick trip to the Promise web site seems to indicate
that the last driver supplied for the Ultra 66 appears to be ~6 years old,
and doesn't even list XP as a compatible OS.

http://www.promise.com/support/downl...r&os= 0&go=GO

If you cannot return Vista (as you say), then your best option is to recoup
as much of the price as possible by selling it used, perhaps on eBay.

Jim Fisher

Re: promise

"Ray D" <Ray D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I cannot install from xp pro sp2 to Windows Home Premium.

It is impossible to "upgrade" from XP Pro to Vista Home. That is a step
backwards, not an upgrade. You will have to perform a clean installation
and re-install everything.

This is nothing new. You could not "upgrade" from XP Pro to XP Home, or
from Windows 2000 to XP Home, either.

Sorry.

Richard Urban

Re: promise
I would just get an add-in card that works.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User