Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..

=?Utf-8?B?YmlnYmxva2U=?=

Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
Hiya all,
I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my home.
Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do it,
and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very happy
considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..

Thanks..
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
Each installation of Windows Vista requires its own unique
license, just as it was with Windows XP. You'll need to purchase a new
Windows Vista license for each computer installation.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"bigbloke" wrote:

Hiya all,
I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my home.
Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do it,
and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very happy
considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..

Thanks..
MICHAEL

"bigbloke" <bigbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all,
> I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
> reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
> upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my home.
> Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do it,
> and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very happy
> considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..
>
> Thanks..

When your Ultimate arrives, then go here;

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ydiscount.mspx

Roscoe

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
MS doesn't care if you are happy.

"bigbloke" <bigbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all,
> I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
> reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
> upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my
> home.
> Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do
> it,
> and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very
> happy
> considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..
>
> Thanks..

John Barnes

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
If you had bought the OEM version you would have saved half your money to
spend on the other installs. Not sure why you bought full anyway unless you
don't have Windows XP on your computers.

"bigbloke" <bigbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all,
> I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
> reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
> upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my
> home.
> Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do
> it,
> and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very
> happy
> considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..
>
> Thanks..

mikeyhsd

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
you can install it on as many systems as your desire.
problem comes when trying to authenticate them,.
them KEY only works for one system at a time.
and is sometimes difficult to move to a different computer.

since you need more than one license, check into the FAMILY pack licensing from ms.
believe this is a good link.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=201

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"bigbloke" <bigbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:51B6AF63-A5E4-4276-A6A9-745A11FE0A33@microsoft.com...
Hiya all,
I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my home.
Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do it,
and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very happy
considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..

Thanks..
Kevin Young

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
Yes, Family Pack might be your best option. Once you get your Ultimate Retail version you can purchase up to two Home Premium versions for about $50 each.

If you plan to do clean installs rather than upgrades and don't plan to eventually transfer Vista to other PC's you can get the Ultimate OEM version for $199 per license. Note that you can't take advantage of the Family Pack offer if you decide to go with an OEM version though.
"mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:e8vL$hLSHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Donald McDaniel

Re: Installing Vista Ultimate on more than one machine..
"bigbloke" <bigbloke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hiya all,
> I have been searching for a straight answer to this one, but so far, I am
> reading mixed ones. I have ordered the 64bit ultimate edition, ( full, not
> upgrade ) and I would like to install and activate on 3 computers in my
> home.
> Is this going to be possible, or will I be in a situation where I cant do
> it,
> and have to buy more licenses? If so, that is not going to make me very
> happy
> considering the amount I have just paid for the new OS..
>
> Thanks..

Microsoft's policies concerning licenses is this:
ONE License, ONE machine. PERIOD.

There are a couple of ways around this,however:
1) You may purchase a VOLUME license with a minimum of 5 seats through
Volume Licensing. I don't think these licenses are available to home users,
however (I could be wrong). This is pretty much the same thing as
purchasing 5 or more licenses at a 10 or 20% markdown over the Retail
licenses. NOT a good deal for home users.
2) You may purchase the special Family License, where you purchase a single
license to Vista Ultimate, and get three extra licenses for Home Premium for
only $49 each. This IS a good deal for home users. This is a new thing
with Microsoft, and I'm sure they added it because Windows users have been
breathing down their necks for such a deal for many years. The only bad
thing about this is that you MUST purchase a Full Retail copy of Vista
Ultimate, at the FULL RETAIL price, to be eligible for this deal. Another
bad thing about this otherwise great deal is that Microsoft is currently
having a "little" trouble with license keys issued with this deal. It seems
that while the extra keys Microsoft has issued to purchasers of this deal
are valid for an unknown Microsoft product, they are definitely NOT valid
for Vista Home Premium. Stay away from this "deal" like the plague until
they definitely get it fixed.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.