Anytime Upgrade and Vista Ultimate

=?Utf-8?B?dmlqYXk=?=

Anytime Upgrade and Vista Ultimate
I'd like to order a laptop which comes with 32-bit Vista Business. I would
then like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. As I understand it, this should be
possible; and that the only upgrade path is to the 32-bit Vista Ultimate.

However, as this is a new laptop, I'd like to give x64 a swing, if it
doesn't work, I'd just go back to 32-bit (a little googling reveals that the
t60p does work fine with vista x64; however, I'm more worried about software
compatability).

My question is, if I use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from a 32-bit OEM Vista
Business to a 32-bit Vista Ultimate, does the license allow me to also
install an x64 Vista ultimate? If so, where can I download the DVD for x64
vista ultimate? Or do I need to buy a full Vista Ultimate version (which
comes with both 32- and 64-bit dvds).

Thanks,

-vijay

pete

Re: Anytime Upgrade and Vista Ultimate
As I understand it there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit any OS to 64 bit
Vista............
If you wish to install 64 bit Ultimate it would have to be a NEW
install....format and all.
I have used BETA ,RC1 ans RC2 version of both 32 and 64 bit Versions and
They would not upgrade...a new install was required............and the Final
Release is the same.
peter
"vijay" <vijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'd like to order a laptop which comes with 32-bit Vista Business. I
> would
> then like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. As I understand it, this should
> be
> possible; and that the only upgrade path is to the 32-bit Vista Ultimate.
>
> However, as this is a new laptop, I'd like to give x64 a swing, if it
> doesn't work, I'd just go back to 32-bit (a little googling reveals that
> the
> t60p does work fine with vista x64; however, I'm more worried about
> software
> compatability).
>
> My question is, if I use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from a 32-bit OEM
> Vista
> Business to a 32-bit Vista Ultimate, does the license allow me to also
> install an x64 Vista ultimate? If so, where can I download the DVD for
> x64
> vista ultimate? Or do I need to buy a full Vista Ultimate version (which
> comes with both 32- and 64-bit dvds).
>
> Thanks,
>
> -vijay

=?Utf-8?B?dmlqYXk=?=

Re: Anytime Upgrade and Vista Ultimate
I know it's not an upgrade - it's a new install.

The question really is regarding licensing: if I have a 32-bit Business,
upgrade to 32-bit Ultimate, can I also (new install) 64-bit ultimate? Or do
I have to buy a full version of 64-bit ultimate?

As I understand it, a vista license is a vista license, regardless of the
chip architecture - I wanted to confirm. However, where do I get the
installation material, if I have the appropriate license?

Thx,

- vijay

"pete" wrote:

> As I understand it there is NO upgrade path from 32 bit any OS to 64 bit
> Vista............
> If you wish to install 64 bit Ultimate it would have to be a NEW
> install....format and all.
> I have used BETA ,RC1 ans RC2 version of both 32 and 64 bit Versions and
> They would not upgrade...a new install was required............and the Final
> Release is the same.
> peter
> "vijay" <vijay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to order a laptop which comes with 32-bit Vista Business. I
> > would
> > then like to upgrade to Vista Ultimate. As I understand it, this should
> > be
> > possible; and that the only upgrade path is to the 32-bit Vista Ultimate.
> >
> > However, as this is a new laptop, I'd like to give x64 a swing, if it
> > doesn't work, I'd just go back to 32-bit (a little googling reveals that
> > the
> > t60p does work fine with vista x64; however, I'm more worried about
> > software
> > compatability).
> >
> > My question is, if I use Anytime Upgrade to upgrade from a 32-bit OEM
> > Vista
> > Business to a 32-bit Vista Ultimate, does the license allow me to also
> > install an x64 Vista ultimate? If so, where can I download the DVD for
> > x64
> > vista ultimate? Or do I need to buy a full Vista Ultimate version (which
> > comes with both 32- and 64-bit dvds).
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -vijay

Richard G. Harper

Re: Anytime Upgrade and Vista Ultimate
The license that comes with the software you bought allows you to install
either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version, not both. You need a
second license if you intend to use both versions simultaneously.