A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista

=?Utf-8?B?cnNjaG9sdDE=?=

A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista
I have already upgraded to Vista, but after a great deal of frustration
because my my Audio controller, and Palm syncronization, and digital camera
inerface no longer function, I want to find a safe way to get rid of Vista
and return to XP.
Jim Fisher

Re: A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista

"rscholt1" <rscholt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have already upgraded to Vista, but after a great deal of frustration
> because my my Audio controller, and Palm syncronization, and digital
> camera
> inerface no longer function, I want to find a safe way to get rid of Vista
> and return to XP.

It is my understanding that you can't do that. There is no "undo" for
Vista. I'm sure there is a good reason Microsoft deactivates your old copy
of XP (making it impossible to re-install XP) but no one knows what that is
yet.

MICHAEL

Re: A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista

"rscholt1" <rscholt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have already upgraded to Vista, but after a great deal of frustration
> because my my Audio controller, and Palm syncronization, and digital camera
> inerface no longer function, I want to find a safe way to get rid of Vista
> and return to XP.

Boot from XP CD and reinstall.

-Michael

Kerry Brown

Re: A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista
Restore from the backup you created before upgrading to Vista.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message

> "rscholt1" <rscholt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have already upgraded to Vista, but after a great deal of frustration
>> because my my Audio controller, and Palm syncronization, and digital
>> camera
>> inerface no longer function, I want to find a safe way to get rid of
>> Vista
>> and return to XP.

> Boot from XP CD and reinstall.

You can't do that. Well, you can but you can't activate XP. Microsoft
deactivates your old product code for XP once the Vista upgrade completes.

MICHAEL

"Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "rscholt1" <rscholt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>I have already upgraded to Vista, but after a great deal of frustration
>>> because my my Audio controller, and Palm syncronization, and digital camera
>>> inerface no longer function, I want to find a safe way to get rid of Vista
>>> and return to XP.

>> Boot from XP CD and reinstall.

> You can't do that. Well, you can but you can't activate XP. Microsoft deactivates your old
> product code for XP once the Vista upgrade completes.

All you have to do is phone in activation if it doesn't work.

Microsoft can't force you to use a product you do not want.

> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "rscholt1" <rscholt1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Boot from XP CD and reinstall.

>> You can't do that. Well, you can but you can't activate XP. Microsoft
>> deactivates your old product code for XP once the Vista upgrade
>> completes.

> All you have to do is phone in activation if it doesn't work.
>
> Microsoft can't force you to use a product you do not want.

Yes they can.

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37676

Read this again: Microsoft DEACTIVATES your XP product code. you CANNOT
activate it. Period. You may not like it (nor do I) but that is the fact.

MICHAEL

news:yenxh.30879$uW.26518@bignews3.bellsouth.net.. .

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jim Fisher" <spamaddy@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message

>>> You can't do that. Well, you can but you can't activate XP. Microsoft deactivates your
>>> old product code for XP once the Vista upgrade completes.

>> All you have to do is phone in activation if it doesn't work.
>>
>> Microsoft can't force you to use a product you do not want.

> Yes they can.
>
> http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=37676
>
> Read this again: Microsoft DEACTIVATES your XP product code. you CANNOT activate it.
> Period. You may not like it (nor do I) but that is the fact.

Jim,

Are you too obtuse to grasp this;
"All you have to do is phone in activation if it doesn't work."

The OP wants to go back to XP. He's *not* wanting to use both
at the same time.

-Michael

Jim Fisher

Re: A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Jim,
>
> Are you too obtuse to grasp this;
> "All you have to do is phone in activation if it doesn't work."
>
> The OP wants to go back to XP. He's *not* wanting to use both
> at the same time.

MICHAEL, are you too dense to grasp this:

Vista DEACTIVATES your old product code. Read that again three times or
until you realize that if your prodcode is deactivated, you can't activate
Windows XP. If you can't activate XP, you can use it for only 30 days
before it becomes useless. *

You can phone MS all you want but the nice Indian lady will tell you that
you XP product code is INVALID thus will not activate.

* I suppose you might be able to Install XP if you own a Dell or other such
restoration which does not require activation. I haven't tried that yet.
I'm sure WGA will get even those eventually.

You MAY also be able to revert back to XP if you have not yet activated
Vista. I don't know exactly when the XP deactivation takes place.

MICHAEL

Re: A safe way to get back to Windows XP and away from Vista
Let me put this in simple terms for you, pudden-head.

A user has purchased an upgrade version of Vista.
The user's computer suffers some major screw-up and
he has to reinstall Vista.
What is the official way to accomplish that?
Microsoft says;
The user must reinstall XP and it must be activated
and genuine. Then the user can proceed with reinstalling
Vista.

How is a user supposed to get activated and genuine
if what you say is true?
Because, what you say is wrong. Period.

Yes, if you install an Upgrade version of Vista, you are no
longer entitled to use your XP and its key is invalidated as a
separate OS.

You need to think this through, dingleberry.
Be sure not to burn up that last brain cell.

One more time, a user may have to call to get
his/her XP reactivated. That's all that needs to be done.