Vista unstable and stops responding

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rvcm1saWdodA==?=

Vista unstable and stops responding
I am running XP Home SP2 and bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Now, before
letting go of my XP installation I wanted to test drive Vista on a separate
partition in test mode (without entering the activation key).

Installation went through without a hitch and the system booted into Vista
seamlessly. I was impressed.

But that's when the problems started. Vista started the auto-update and
rebooted. Upon reboot it the system soon became unstable and crashed/stopped
responding ("Unable to create system warning" message in Windows Explorer).

I thought to myself that maybe as long as it's not activated it can't be
updated so I reformatted the partition and re-installed but de-activated
auto-update this time. Same scenario: Installation without a problem but once
I was in Vista it soon became unstable and stopped responding.

My system specs:
Intel Core 2 6600@2.4Ghz
2 GB of Ram
GeForce 7950 GX2
MSI 975X Platinum Motherboard
JMicron JMB36X Raid Controller
Onboard Realtek High Definition audio

Any ideas what could cause this?

=?Utf-8?B?TXJsb3Bleg==?=

RE: Vista unstable and stops responding
Did you run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor?

You could have a driver that needs to be updated.

"Stormlight" wrote:

> I am running XP Home SP2 and bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Now, before
> letting go of my XP installation I wanted to test drive Vista on a separate
> partition in test mode (without entering the activation key).
>
> Installation went through without a hitch and the system booted into Vista
> seamlessly. I was impressed.
>
> But that's when the problems started. Vista started the auto-update and
> rebooted. Upon reboot it the system soon became unstable and crashed/stopped
> responding ("Unable to create system warning" message in Windows Explorer).
>
> I thought to myself that maybe as long as it's not activated it can't be
> updated so I reformatted the partition and re-installed but de-activated
> auto-update this time. Same scenario: Installation without a problem but once
> I was in Vista it soon became unstable and stopped responding.
>
> My system specs:
> Intel Core 2 6600@2.4Ghz
> 2 GB of Ram
> GeForce 7950 GX2
> MSI 975X Platinum Motherboard
> JMicron JMB36X Raid Controller
> Onboard Realtek High Definition audio
>
> Any ideas what could cause this?

=?Utf-8?B?U3Rvcm1saWdodA==?=

RE: Vista unstable and stops responding
First, thank you for the quick reply!

Yes, I did run the Upgrade Advisor (Your computer can run Windows Vista). It
told me that I need to upgrade the Realtek Audio driver which I knew. It also
told me that it was unable to find info on the JMicron Raid controller.

According to Jmicron I have a Vista compatible driver installed. However ...

I noticed the following info on Jmicron's driver site:
"Changing the disk reporting sequence for Vista. After changing, the
scenario should be as followings.
1. Install Vista with a mirror RAID of hard disk A and B.
2. Revert A to non-RAID disk in BIOS.
3. Booting with both A and B connected.
4. Booting with B alone will succeed.
5. Booting with A alone will fail.
- The setup program will overwrite all installed files and start
menu items with the newly installed files and items."

I don't really know what that means ...

"Mrlopez" wrote:

> Did you run the Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor?
>
> You could have a driver that needs to be updated.

Man-wai Chang

Re: Vista unstable and stops responding
> I am running XP Home SP2 and bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Now, before
> letting go of my XP installation I wanted to test drive Vista on a separate
> partition in test mode (without entering the activation key).
> Intel Core 2 6600@2.4Ghz
> 2 GB of Ram
> GeForce 7950 GX2

Are you talking about x64 or 32-bit Vi$ta?

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.19.2
=?Utf-8?B?U3Rvcm1saWdodA==?=

Re: Vista unstable and stops responding
The 32 bit version.

"Man-wai Chang" wrote:

> > I am running XP Home SP2 and bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade. Now, before
> > letting go of my XP installation I wanted to test drive Vista on a separate
> > partition in test mode (without entering the activation key).
> > Intel Core 2 6600@2.4Ghz
> > 2 GB of Ram
> > GeForce 7950 GX2

> Are you talking about x64 or 32-bit Vi$ta?
>
> --
> .~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
> / v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce be with you!
> /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 6.10) Linux 2.6.19.2
> ^ ^ 20:54:01 up 24 days 6 min 0 users load average: 1.03 1.01 1.00
> news://news.3home.net news://news.hkpcug.org news://news.newsgroup.com.hk

Ron Miller

Stormlight wrote:
> First, thank you for the quick reply!
>
> Yes, I did run the Upgrade Advisor (Your computer can run Windows Vista). It
> told me that I need to upgrade the Realtek Audio driver which I knew. It also
> told me that it was unable to find info on the JMicron Raid controller.
>
> According to Jmicron I have a Vista compatible driver installed. However ...
>
> I noticed the following info on Jmicron's driver site:
> "Changing the disk reporting sequence for Vista. After changing, the
> scenario should be as followings.
> 1. Install Vista with a mirror RAID of hard disk A and B.
> 2. Revert A to non-RAID disk in BIOS.
> 3. Booting with both A and B connected.
> 4. Booting with B alone will succeed.
> 5. Booting with A alone will fail.
> - The setup program will overwrite all installed files and start
> menu items with the newly installed files and items."
>
> I don't really know what that means ...

Yeah, that sounds like poorly translated Chinese, doesn't it? I don't
know what it means, either, but, in fact, your install DID succeed.
Tell us about your video card and that card's driver version.