Cant install Vista

Manitu

Cant install Vista

Ok heres the thing..i bought a brand new drive..a seagate 160gb and
windows
vista premium.
I plug in windows and start computer..it asks me to hit any key to boot
from
cd or dvd ..then it loads windows files
Then the blue green screen comes up with the following:
Copying Windows Files
Expanding files
Installing Features
Completing Installation

All goes well up to the Installing Features...it then says it has to
reboot..so i let it..then it does then it comes back to the hit key to
boot
from cd or dvd and then does the whole process over again..and if at
the
second time if i dont hit any key to boot from cd ordvd..it hangs there
til i
reboot and does the same thing over and over..one continuous loop
Anyone have any suggestion?

--
Manitu
Manitu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21639

http://forums.techarena.in

Michelle Steiner

Re: Cant install Vista
In article <Manitu.2lgqfn@DoNotSpam.com>,
Manitu <Manitu.2lgqfn@DoNotSpam.com> wrote:

> All goes well up to the Installing Features...it then says it has to
> reboot..so i let it..then it does then it comes back to the hit key to
> boot
> from cd or dvd and then does the whole process over again..and if at
> the
> second time if i dont hit any key to boot from cd ordvd..it hangs there
> til i
> reboot and does the same thing over and over..one continuous loop
> Anyone have any suggestion?

yeah, get a Mac
MICHAEL

Re: Cant install Vista
Stop hitting "boot from cd", just let it go for awhile.

Are you doing an in place upgrade? You might want to
try the "custom install". First use Windows Easy Transfer
to save your stuff, you can then import all that later.

Also, unplug any USB devices. Uninstall any AV, firewall,
spyware protection. Close any open programs sitting in
systray/notification area. Do some disk cleanup. Run chkdsk.
Defrag.

Try again.

-Michael

"Manitu" <Manitu.2lgqfn@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:Manitu.2lgqfn@DoNotSpam.com...

> Ok heres the thing..i bought a brand new drive..a seagate 160gb and
> windows
> vista premium.
> I plug in windows and start computer..it asks me to hit any key to boot
> from
> cd or dvd ..then it loads windows files
> Then the blue green screen comes up with the following:
> Copying Windows Files
> Expanding files
> Installing Features
> Completing Installation
>
> All goes well up to the Installing Features...it then says it has to
> reboot..so i let it..then it does then it comes back to the hit key to
> boot
> from cd or dvd and then does the whole process over again..and if at
> the
> second time if i dont hit any key to boot from cd ordvd..it hangs there
> til i
> reboot and does the same thing over and over..one continuous loop
> Anyone have any suggestion?
>

> --
> Manitu
> Manitu's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=21639
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=673912
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFTY2huZWlkZXI=?=

Re: Cant install Vista

I've got the very same problem here.
Everything goes well in the beginning.
Then - when the first reboot becomes necessary - I get a disk-read error. It
is impossible to boot from the drive.

After repairing my xp by "fixboot" I did it again.
Then I realized that the expanding-process stops at around 20% and the
computer reboots.
Maybe not all necessary files are expanded and therefore Vista cannot be
installed.
I do not have a solution to this however.

Mike
Dr Teeth

Re: Cant install Vista
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Manitu
<Manitu.2lgqfn@DoNotSpam.com> opened his gob and said:

>All goes well up to the Installing Features...it then says it has to
>reboot..so i let it..then it does then it comes back to the hit key to
>boot
>from cd or dvd and then does the whole process over again..and if at
>the
>second time if i dont hit any key to boot from cd ordvd..it hangs there
>til i
>reboot and does the same thing over and over..one continuous loop
>Anyone have any suggestion?

This was the sign I got that something was wrong with my
install...into an empty partition with an XP install in another
partition. Found my XP partition had gone!

--
Cheers,

Guy