Want to re-run windows installation

=?Utf-8?B?SGFtaWw=?=

Want to re-run windows installation
I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with the
way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista using
the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can I
do this?
Ted Landry

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
Hamil <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with the
> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista using
> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can I
> do this?

on a Mac you can, just install over the top and since there is never any
"activation" codes with OSX, you just run the installer like normal and
it works great!

not sure why you are still trying to use Windows. is there a reason?
=?Utf-8?B?SGFtaWw=?=

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
I have had much success with Windows over the years and don't have the money
to buy an APple at the moment. Anyone with a respone in relation to my
question with helpfulness towards PC's would be appricated.

"Ted Landry" wrote:

> Hamil <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
> > install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with the
> > way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista using
> > the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can I
> > do this?

> on a Mac you can, just install over the top and since there is never any
> "activation" codes with OSX, you just run the installer like normal and
> it works great!
>
> not sure why you are still trying to use Windows. is there a reason?

Ted Landry

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
Hamil <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have had much success with Windows over the years and don't have the money
> to buy an APple at the moment. Anyone with a respone in relation to my
> question with helpfulness towards PC's would be appricated.

Macs are now priced the same as PCs. It's been many years since they
were considered expensive. Prices start around $599.

http://store.apple.com/
Rock

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
"Hamil" <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with
> the
> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista
> using
> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can
> do this?

Yes, reinstall XP, activate it, run the Vista DVD from the XP desktop,
choose custom install. Vista will be installed and the old installation
wrapped up in the windows.old folder. If you activated the first
installation you might have to call in for activation on the reinstall.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

MICHAEL

"Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:u0bzbYESHHA.1364@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> "Hamil" <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
>>I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
>> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with
>> the
>> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista
>> using
>> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can
>> do this?

> Yes, reinstall XP, activate it, run the Vista DVD from the XP desktop,
> choose custom install. Vista will be installed and the old installation
> wrapped up in the windows.old folder. If you activated the first
> installation you might have to call in for activation on the reinstall.

Please, explain to me why the user would have to reinstall XP?
That's been shown not to be true.

That is not necessary, you know that. In fact, to repair a sluggish Vista
install- all I did was put in the disk, chose custom install and all turned
out peachy.

The OP *might* have to phone in activation, but he might have to
do that anyway. I guarantee you this, that phone call would be shorter
and lot less hassle than reinstalling XP and then Vista.

-Michael
Ron Miller

Ted Landry wrote:
> Hamil <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option to
>> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with the
>> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista using
>> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files. Can I
>> do this?

> on a Mac you can, just install over the top and since there is never any
> "activation" codes with OSX, you just run the installer like normal and
> it works great!
>
> not sure why you are still trying to use Windows. is there a reason?

What a tool you are, Ted Landry! This forum is for users who are
seeking help and others who are trying to provide that help. Your
brain-dead Mac commercials are NOT helping anyone and have no place in
Usenet. Go post your opinions in alt.mac-vs-PC, where they might be
pertinent, or else f*<k off, and take "Wegie" and "Michelle Steiner"
with you.
Rock

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote

> "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "Hamil" <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>>I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option
>>> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with
>>> the
>>> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista
>>> using
>>> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files.
>>> Can I
>>> do this?

>> Yes, reinstall XP, activate it, run the Vista DVD from the XP desktop,
>> choose custom install. Vista will be installed and the old installation
>> wrapped up in the windows.old folder. If you activated the first
>> installation you might have to call in for activation on the reinstall.

> Please, explain to me why the user would have to reinstall XP?
> That's been shown not to be true.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Are you talking about doing the double
install with the upgrade edition first without a product key? I would not
recommend that to anyone until we know for sure what happens after the 30
days is up from the original install.

> That is not necessary, you know that. In fact, to repair a sluggish Vista
> install- all I did was put in the disk, chose custom install and all
> turned
> out peachy.

How do you know I know that. You seem to be quick with the assumptions.
You may have done it but I haven't; I won't recommend something I don't know
can work.

> The OP *might* have to phone in activation, but he might have to
> do that anyway. I guarantee you this, that phone call would be shorter
> and lot less hassle than reinstalling XP and then Vista.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Want to re-run windows installation
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote

> "Rock" <rock@nospam.net> wrote

>> "Hamil" <Hamil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>>
>>>I have run Vista Home Premium Upgrade installation and chose the option
>>> install and be able to keep my files on my computer. I am not happy with
>>> the
>>> way Vista has done all this and was wondeing if I can re-install Vista
>>> using
>>> the same product key but this time do a full install wiping my files.
>>> Can I
>>> do this?

>> Yes, reinstall XP, activate it, run the Vista DVD from the XP desktop,
>> choose custom install. Vista will be installed and the old installation
>> wrapped up in the windows.old folder. If you activated the first
>> installation you might have to call in for activation on the reinstall.

> Please, explain to me why the user would have to reinstall XP?
> That's been shown not to be true.
>
> That is not necessary, you know that. In fact, to repair a sluggish Vista
> install- all I did was put in the disk, chose custom install and all
> turned
> out peachy.
>
> The OP *might* have to phone in activation, but he might have to
> do that anyway. I guarantee you this, that phone call would be shorter
> and lot less hassle than reinstalling XP and then Vista.

And to add to my other reply, what I posted to the OP is something that is,
and that I know is workable. If you want to post alternatives to the OP
then go ahead, but there was nothing wrong or malicious in what I suggested.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Ron Miller <millerDOT90@osu.edu> wrote:

> > on a Mac you can, just install over the top and since there is never any
> > "activation" codes with OSX, you just run the installer like normal and
> > it works great!
> >
> > not sure why you are still trying to use Windows. is there a reason?

> What a tool you are, Ted Landry! This forum is for users who are
> seeking help and others who are trying to provide that help. Your
> brain-dead Mac commercials are NOT helping anyone and have no place in
> Usenet. Go post your opinions in alt.mac-vs-PC, where they might be
> pertinent, or else f*<k off, and take "Wegie" and "Michelle Steiner"
> with you.

sorry Ron, just trying to help... and so far I've been quite successful.

I can post helpful information to usenet just like anyone else. If you
don't like the help, just ignore it... I'm busy helping Vista users get
more out of their computing $$$.

thanks!