Windows.old

=?Utf-8?B?U2Vhbg==?=

Windows.old
I updated, but blindly went into it. When I finally got updated, none on my
previous programs nor files were present. I found them in my Windows.old
file, and I have found all the old programs. How do I reinstall these files
onto Vista? In addition, my sound does not work. How do I reinstall the
sound from windows.old?
Rock

Re: Windows.old
"Sean" <Sean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I updated, but blindly went into it. When I finally got updated, none on
>my
> previous programs nor files were present. I found them in my Windows.old
> file, and I have found all the old programs. How do I reinstall these
> files
> onto Vista? In addition, my sound does not work. How do I reinstall the
> sound from windows.old?

What version of XP did you start with and what version of Vista did you
use - OEM or retail, Upgrade or full? How did you do the upgrade?

In any event it sounds like you did a custom install (where neither data or
programs are brought into the Vista installation but the old XP installation
put into the windows.old folder), rather than an in place upgrade where
programs and data are migrated to the Vista.

Unfortunately you cannot reinstall program files form what's in the
windows.old folder. Programs will have to be reinstalled from the original
media. You can try to salvage some of the data files in windows.old.

To get sound you have to install a Vista compatible sound driver for the
sound device. Try windows update to see if it offers one and if not go to
the device manufacture's web site for the Vista driver.

If you made a backup of data before doing what you did, then reinstall the
apps into Vista, and bring the data over. You can then delete the
windows.old

If you imaged the XP installation before doing the upgrade even better, just
restore the XP image, then do the upgrade properly.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]