Vista Installation deletes XP partition

Dr Teeth

Vista Installation deletes XP partition
Good job I was testing my Vista Ultimate OEM installation on my kids'
PC. When it came time to reboot, found my Win XP partition had gone!

It's imaged, but still a PITA.

All I want to do is install Vista without it dumping files in my XP
installation. Thought I had hidden the XP installation with the
software I was using...they even had instructions for installing Vista
- System Commander v8.2.

Had a look at BootIT NG...found it too involved...especially as there
seemed to be several places where one could hide partitions. Acronis
Disk Director is not yet Vista compatible and PartitionMagic never
will be. Are there any other utils that have been successfully used?

TIA

--
Cheers,

Guy

Ron Miller

Re: Vista Installation deletes XP partition
Dr Teeth wrote:
> Good job I was testing my Vista Ultimate OEM installation on my kids'
> PC. When it came time to reboot, found my Win XP partition had gone!
>
> It's imaged, but still a PITA.
>
> All I want to do is install Vista without it dumping files in my XP
> installation. Thought I had hidden the XP installation with the
> software I was using...they even had instructions for installing Vista
> - System Commander v8.2.
>
> Had a look at BootIT NG...found it too involved...especially as there
> seemed to be several places where one could hide partitions. Acronis
> Disk Director is not yet Vista compatible and PartitionMagic never
> will be. Are there any other utils that have been successfully used?
>
> TIA

Vista, itself, will provide the boot manager you need.
If you don't want Vista dumping files in your XP installation, just
create a separate partition with an active drive on it. Run Vista Setup
from within XP and direct it to install on the separate partition. When
it's done, your XP installation will be untouched, and Vista will manage
the dual booting just fine.
Dr Teeth

Re: Vista Installation deletes XP partition
I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Ron Miller
<millerDOT90@osu.edu> opened his gob and said:

>If you don't want Vista dumping files in your XP installation, just
>create a separate partition with an active drive on it. Run Vista Setup
>from within XP

There can only be one active partition on a disk at a time. If XP is
booted, then that is active and the partition for Vista won't be AIUI.

I need a guaranteed way to install Vista without my XP being
touched...I also want to use my own boot manager.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Donald McDaniel

"Dr Teeth" <no.email.here.please@tardis.com> wrote in message
>I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Ron Miller
> <millerDOT90@osu.edu> opened his gob and said:
>
>>If you don't want Vista dumping files in your XP installation, just
>>create a separate partition with an active drive on it. Run Vista Setup
>>from within XP

> There can only be one active partition on a disk at a time. If XP is
> booted, then that is active and the partition for Vista won't be AIUI.
>
> I need a guaranteed way to install Vista without my XP being
> touched...I also want to use my own boot manager.
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Guy
>
> ** Stress - the condition brought about by having to
> ** resist the temptation to beat the living daylights
> ** out of someone who richly deserves it.

Install clean to a secondary disk, then install your boot manager? Of
course, your boot manager must be Vista-compatible.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.