Re: ATI X850 display adapter not recognized after Vista installation

Jerry

Re: ATI X850 display adapter not recognized after Vista installation
Obviously something is installed since I can see what's going on. But it
says the display driver is unknown and all items on the adapter are
unknown. It is labeled VGASave. The monitor is Default monitor.

I have the latest software from ATI but it is a combo Catalyst software
and drivers. I can't find just the drivers. It does seem to be the
Catalyst software install that's freezing since it's during the
detecting hardware phase.

I'm using the integrated Realtek network (working fine) and the Soundmax
audio (also working fine). I'm not using RAID. I did try to install the
latest ATI drivers (all well before Vista but they wouldn't install.

ProudPilot wrote:
> I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm using a Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe MB with a
> Asus X850Pro and Vista Ultimate 64bit with no problems. Booted up fine, and I
> was able to install ATI display drivers off the website just fine.
>
> When you boot, is there NO driver, not even a standard VGA, aka, you have no
> display output. If so, it could be a problem getting vista onto the Hard
> Drive since you should be able to see something. If you can see something,
> check out ati.com and download the newest drivers.
>
> As for the other ones, I was just learning the in's and out's of finding out
> the devices that are missing drivers in XP. I'm not sure yet as to what are
> the two "unknown devices" on my A8R, but I'll get back to you once I know.
> I'll bet it's the SIL Raid driver, or the ULi one if you didn't install them.
> Realtek also offers a HD driver package that works well for Vista 64/32.
> Lastly, what are you using that's integrated.
>
> Hope this helps a little.
>
> "Jerry" wrote:
>
>> Clean installing RTM Full Business on my Asus A8R-MVP. After the
>> installation is done:
>> - there is no display adapter in Device Manager
>> - an unknown device and failing PCI to PCI bridge in Device Manager
>> - under Display properties the adapter is unknown and the monitor is VGAsave
>> - The latest ATI drivers and software will not install, probably because
>> Vista isn't seeing the hardware right.
>>
>> I dual boot the PC with XP and the hardware works fine there.
>>
>> So far I've
>> - clean installed twice
>> - deleted the unknown and failing devices in Device Manager but they
>> come back after a reboot.
>> - Opened tickets with ATI and Asus but haven't gotten anything useful
>> back yet.
>>

>> Any other ideas on what might be wrong?

Ron Miller

Jerry wrote:
> Obviously something is installed since I can see what's going on. But it
> says the display driver is unknown and all items on the adapter are
> unknown. It is labeled VGASave. The monitor is Default monitor.
>
> I have the latest software from ATI but it is a combo Catalyst software
> and drivers. I can't find just the drivers. It does seem to be the
> Catalyst software install that's freezing since it's during the
> detecting hardware phase.
>
> I'm using the integrated Realtek network (working fine) and the Soundmax
> audio (also working fine). I'm not using RAID. I did try to install the
> latest ATI drivers (all well before Vista but they wouldn't install.

I ran all the beta versions with an X800XL, and Vista recognized that
very similar card every time. Before installing the RTM version,
though, I upgraded to an X1950 Pro, and it was UNrecognized, just like
yours. I could hardly believe it, considering how well the betas had
handled ATI cards. I downloaded the Vista-compatible signed Catalyst
(7.1) from ATI and ran its Setup program. After a reboot, Device
Manager showed the display adapter to be a "Radeon X1950 Pro," and the
Vista User-Experience rating for the card rose from 1.0 to 5.9. I had a
nasty time getting my primary and secondary monitors assigned to their
proper roles, but there was no trouble installing the Catalyst Control
Center and driver.
(The CCC requires .NET Framework to be present before it's installed,
and I cannot recall if the proper version is present in Vista by
default. That is, I may have had to fiddle around with .NET prior to
installing the Catalyst, but I've spent so many hours tweaking this
installation over the last 4 days that I cannot recall for sure whether
I did so or not.)

At this point, if the Programs applet in Control Panel shows any ATI
apps or drivers, uninstall them, reboot, and try the Catalyst 7.1 Setup
again.
Jerry

Ron Miller wrote:
> I ran all the beta versions with an X800XL, and Vista recognized that
> very similar card every time. Before installing the RTM version,
> though, I upgraded to an X1950 Pro, and it was UNrecognized, just like
> yours. I could hardly believe it, considering how well the betas had
> handled ATI cards. I downloaded the Vista-compatible signed Catalyst
> (7.1) from ATI and ran its Setup program. After a reboot, Device
> Manager showed the display adapter to be a "Radeon X1950 Pro," and the
> Vista User-Experience rating for the card rose from 1.0 to 5.9. I had a
> nasty time getting my primary and secondary monitors assigned to their
> proper roles, but there was no trouble installing the Catalyst Control
> Center and driver.
> (The CCC requires .NET Framework to be present before it's installed,
> and I cannot recall if the proper version is present in Vista by
> default. That is, I may have had to fiddle around with .NET prior to
> installing the Catalyst, but I've spent so many hours tweaking this
> installation over the last 4 days that I cannot recall for sure whether
> I did so or not.)
>
> At this point, if the Programs applet in Control Panel shows any ATI
> apps or drivers, uninstall them, reboot, and try the Catalyst 7.1 Setup
> again.

The ATI program wouldn't uninstall so I went through the registry and
deleted everything there as well as thprogram directory, rebooted and
reran the CCC installation. Same result- stuck in the detecing hardware
phase. As far as I know .Net 3.0 is part of Vista. I don't know how to
find out or what I might fiddle with if it was.
Ron Miller

Jerry wrote:
> Ron Miller wrote:
>> I ran all the beta versions with an X800XL, and Vista recognized that
>> very similar card every time. Before installing the RTM version,
>> though, I upgraded to an X1950 Pro, and it was UNrecognized, just like
>> yours. I could hardly believe it, considering how well the betas had
>> handled ATI cards. I downloaded the Vista-compatible signed Catalyst
>> (7.1) from ATI and ran its Setup program. After a reboot, Device
>> Manager showed the display adapter to be a "Radeon X1950 Pro," and the
>> Vista User-Experience rating for the card rose from 1.0 to 5.9. I had
>> a nasty time getting my primary and secondary monitors assigned to
>> their proper roles, but there was no trouble installing the Catalyst
>> Control Center and driver.
>> (The CCC requires .NET Framework to be present before it's installed,
>> and I cannot recall if the proper version is present in Vista by
>> default. That is, I may have had to fiddle around with .NET prior to
>> installing the Catalyst, but I've spent so many hours tweaking this
>> installation over the last 4 days that I cannot recall for sure
>> whether I did so or not.)
>>
>> At this point, if the Programs applet in Control Panel shows any ATI
>> apps or drivers, uninstall them, reboot, and try the Catalyst 7.1
>> Setup again.

> The ATI program wouldn't uninstall so I went through the registry and
> deleted everything there as well as thprogram directory, rebooted and
> reran the CCC installation. Same result- stuck in the detecing hardware
> phase. As far as I know .Net 3.0 is part of Vista. I don't know how to
> find out or what I might fiddle with if it was.

I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but I
wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work, could
this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the card? I
don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn who your
manufacturer is.

The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro was
"seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or something, I
can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter appeared. Also,
have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be positive that
there's no mechanical or electrical problem?
Ron Miller

Jerry wrote:
> Obviously something is installed since I can see what's going on. But it
> says the display driver is unknown and all items on the adapter are
> unknown. It is labeled VGASave. The monitor is Default monitor.
>
> I have the latest software from ATI but it is a combo Catalyst software
> and drivers. I can't find just the drivers. It does seem to be the
> Catalyst software install that's freezing since it's during the
> detecting hardware phase.
>
> I'm using the integrated Realtek network (working fine) and the Soundmax
> audio (also working fine). I'm not using RAID. I did try to install the
> latest ATI drivers (all well before Vista but they wouldn't install.

Another person has posted that there's a problem with the ATI 8xx cards
and nForce 3 chipsets. Do you happen to have an nForce-3 motherboard?
Jerry

Ron Miller wrote:
> I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but I
> wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
> everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work, could
> this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the card? I
> don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn who your
> manufacturer is.
>
> The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro was
> "seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or something, I
> can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter appeared. Also,
> have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be positive that
> there's no mechanical or electrical problem?

The first thing it does after you select Custom or Express is the
graphics hardware detection phase. I'm not too surprised that this
doesn't work since no adapter at all is shown in Device Manager. The
card is a genuine ATI brand card.

I haven't tried reseating the card as it's working fine in XP. But that
is a good idea. I did receive a reply to the ticket I opened at MS so
before I reboot into Vista to gather the info they asked for I'll reseat
the card.

fact it's an ATI crossfire based board. No integrated video.
Jerry

Jerry wrote:
> Ron Miller wrote:
>> I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but
>> I wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
>> everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work, could
>> this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the card? I
>> don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn who your
>> manufacturer is.
>>
>> The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro
>> was "seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or
>> something, I can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter
>> appeared. Also, have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be
>> positive that there's no mechanical or electrical problem?

> The first thing it does after you select Custom or Express is the
> graphics hardware detection phase. I'm not too surprised that this
> doesn't work since no adapter at all is shown in Device Manager. The
> card is a genuine ATI brand card.
>
> I haven't tried reseating the card as it's working fine in XP. But that
> is a good idea. I did receive a reply to the ticket I opened at MS so
> before I reboot into Vista to gather the info they asked for I'll reseat
> the card.

> fact it's an ATI crossfire based board. No integrated video.

I thought I remembered you asked about Nvidia, not nForce. There's no
nForce either.
Jerry

Jerry wrote:
> Ron Miller wrote:
>> I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but
>> I wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
>> everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work, could
>> this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the card? I
>> don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn who your
>> manufacturer is.
>>
>> The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro
>> was "seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or
>> something, I can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter
>> appeared. Also, have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be
>> positive that there's no mechanical or electrical problem?

> The first thing it does after you select Custom or Express is the
> graphics hardware detection phase. I'm not too surprised that this
> doesn't work since no adapter at all is shown in Device Manager. The
> card is a genuine ATI brand card.
>
> I haven't tried reseating the card as it's working fine in XP. But that
> is a good idea. I did receive a reply to the ticket I opened at MS so
> before I reboot into Vista to gather the info they asked for I'll reseat
> the card.

> fact it's an ATI crossfire based board. No integrated video.

Pulled and re-installed the video card. ATI software still won't load. I
wish I could install just the driver but when I try it insists it needs
the Catalyst Install Manager. That's what's locking up.
Ron Miller

Jerry wrote:
> Ron Miller wrote:
>> I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but
>> I wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
>> everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work, could
>> this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the card? I
>> don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn who your
>> manufacturer is.
>>
>> The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro
>> was "seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or
>> something, I can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter
>> appeared. Also, have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be
>> positive that there's no mechanical or electrical problem?

> The first thing it does after you select Custom or Express is the
> graphics hardware detection phase. I'm not too surprised that this
> doesn't work since no adapter at all is shown in Device Manager. The
> card is a genuine ATI brand card.

I definitely noticed hardware detection in Vista setup. I thought you
were referring to a hardware-detection process during the video card's
driver installation. Sorry.
Jerry

Ron Miller wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> Ron Miller wrote:
>>> I didn't watch the setup screen every second of the installation, but
>>> I wasn't even aware of a hardware-detection phase. Considering that
>>> everyone else with ATI-based X8xx cards is getting them to work,
>>> could this problem have anything to do with the manufacturer of the
>>> card? I don't have the entire thread, so I can't go back to learn
>>> who your manufacturer is.
>>>
>>> The difference between your experience and mine is that my X1950 Pro
>>> was "seen" in Device Manager. It was labeled simply "VGA" or
>>> something, I can't recall for sure, but at least a display adapter
>>> appeared. Also, have you tried reseating the card itself so as to be
>>> positive that there's no mechanical or electrical problem?

>> The first thing it does after you select Custom or Express is the
>> graphics hardware detection phase. I'm not too surprised that this
>> doesn't work since no adapter at all is shown in Device Manager. The
>> card is a genuine ATI brand card.
>>

> I definitely noticed hardware detection in Vista setup. I thought you
> were referring to a hardware-detection process during the video card's
> driver installation. Sorry.

No you were right. I am referring to hardware detection during the ATI
software/driver installation.