Promblems upgrading form XP SP2 to Vista

Douglas Gowan

Promblems upgrading form XP SP2 to Vista
I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64% of
completing upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.

I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices but
this has made now difference.

PC Specs are:
2.4GHZ P4
250GB PATA HD
1GB RAM

Anyone got any ideas and help

MICHAEL

Re: Promblems upgrading form XP SP2 to Vista
Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
of the upgrade.

Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.

Try again.

-Michael

"Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64% of completing
>upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
>
> I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices but this has made now
> difference.
>
> PC Specs are:
> 2.4GHZ P4
> 250GB PATA HD
> 1GB RAM
>
> Anyone got any ideas and help

Seven

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote:

> Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
> of the upgrade.
>
> Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.
>
> Try again.

or, just get a Mac and be done with these errors forever.
Ron Miller

Seven wrote:
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote:
>
>> Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
>> of the upgrade.
>>
>> Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.
>>
>> Try again.

> or, just get a Mac and be done with these errors forever.

Gee, I'm sure that helps Douglas immensely. Thanks so much for sharing
your infinite wisdom with us. We don't mind your wasting our bandwidth
with this foolishness at all.

Douglas Gowan

Re: Promblems upgrading form XP SP2 to Vista

"Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64%
>of completing upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
>
> I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices
> but this has made now difference.
>
> PC Specs are:
> 2.4GHZ P4
> 250GB PATA HD
> 1GB RAM
>
> Anyone got any ideas and help

I know bad equitte to reply to own post but, have tried again with no luck,
got the same stop error, but remembered to take a note of the full details
of the error message which is
"Unexpected error, Verify installation sources are accessible and restart
the installation" with the for mention stop code

Hope this may spread some more light on the problem

Donald McDaniel

"Douglas Gowan" <doug.nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64%
>>of completing upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
>>
>> I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices
>> but this has made now difference.
>>
>> PC Specs are:
>> 2.4GHZ P4
>> 250GB PATA HD
>> 1GB RAM
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas and help

> I know bad equitte to reply to own post but, have tried again with no
> luck, got the same stop error, but remembered to take a note of the full
> details of the error message which is
> "Unexpected error, Verify installation sources are accessible and restart
> the installation" with the for mention stop code
>
> Hope this may spread some more light on the problem

From what I have read, Vista does NOT support "PATA" drives at the present
time. Which is why it can't install. Otherwise, you should have no
problems. Replace your PATA drive with either an IDE drive, or a SATA drive
(hopefully, your motherboard has an IDE or SATA controller, otherwise, you
will have to purchase and install one in a spare PCI slot and add the driver
during installation).

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBpbiBSSQ==?=

"MICHAEL" wrote:

> Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
> of the upgrade.
>
> Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.
>
> Try again.
>
> -Michael
>
> "Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
> >I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64% of completing
> >upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
> >
> > I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices but this has made now
> > difference.
> >
> > PC Specs are:
> > 2.4GHZ P4
> > 250GB PATA HD
> > 1GB RAM
> >
> > Anyone got any ideas and help
> >

> You CANNOT DO A CLEAN INSTALL with an upgrade version ... no matter what the directions say .. Vista Upgrade will not install unless a previous version of win 2000 or win XP is previously installed ... I spent hours trying to get a CLEAN INSTALL ... win xp sp2 must be up an running ... and win vista up grade WILL NOT BOOT ... it must run from win xp ... YOU WANT A CLEAN INSTALL ... YOU NEED A FULL VERSION OF VISTA FOR THAT.

Donald McDaniel

"Dave in RI" <DaveinRI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
>> of the upgrade.
>>
>> Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.
>>
>> Try again.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to
>> >64% of completing
>> >upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
>> >
>> > I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices
>> > but this has made now
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > PC Specs are:
>> > 2.4GHZ P4
>> > 250GB PATA HD
>> > 1GB RAM
>> >
>> > Anyone got any ideas and help
>> >

>> You CANNOT DO A CLEAN INSTALL with an upgrade version ... no matter what
>> the directions say .. Vista Upgrade will not install unless a previous
>> version of win 2000 or win XP is previously installed ... I spent hours
>> trying to get a CLEAN INSTALL ... win xp sp2 must be up an running ...
>> and win vista up grade WILL NOT BOOT ... it must run from win xp ... YOU
>> WANT A CLEAN INSTALL ... YOU NEED A FULL VERSION OF VISTA FOR THAT.

Sorry, Dave, but that is just not true. Although it is theoretically true,
in practice it is possible to do a clean install of Vista on a bare drive
using the installation media with an upgrade key. Even Microsoft documents
this.

Here's how:

1) Boot with the Vista install media (contrary to your protestations, ALL
install media for Vista is bootable. In fact, there is NO SUCH thing as
"Upgrade media for Vista", since ALL versions of the OS are on a SINGLE DVD,
and your purchased version is installed with a key which is only valid for
YOUR purchased version.
2) When the Installer asks for your key, DO NOT ENTER IT!!!!
3) Delete the previous Windows partition, then recreate a new one and format
it, then point the Installer to that partition.
4) Continue the installation until you are at the Desktop.
5) With the Vista install media still in the drive, start the Installer from
within Vista, and when it asks for your key, ENTER it this time. Tell the
installer to do a custom installation (that will perform a "clean"
installation), not an express installation (that will perform an in-place
upgrade)
6) Repeat steps 3 and 4.

This is possible, because a clean install with upgrade media has ALWAYS been
possible with XP, though it has not been well-publicized. Now there IS no
"upgrade media", only "upgrade keys".
When Vista is installed the first time, then reinstalled a second time, the
Installer sees the existing installation of Vista, and assumes that it is
valid. This is actually ok, since Vista->Vista is a valid upgrade path. If
you enter the install key the FIRST time, then wipe the drive, the installer
will protest when you try to install, since it will find no valid
installation of Vista to upgrade. However, if you fail to enter the key
the first time, Vista will install as a TRIAL version. The bug is in the
Installer's accepting a TRIAL version as a valid upgrade base for the second
installation.

Either Microsoft intentionally left this huge hole in their Vista media, or
they overlooked a BIG bug. I will bet that this bug will be fixed very
soon.

--

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original newsgroup and thread.

MICHAEL

Re: Promblems upgrading form XP SP2 to Vista

"Dave in RI" <DaveinRI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "MICHAEL" wrote:
>
>> Douglas, it may be time to do a "custom clean install" instead
>> of the upgrade.
>>
>> Use Windows Easy Transfer to save your XP settings and stuff.
>>
>> Try again.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Douglas Gowan" <nospam@gowan.co.uk> wrote in message
>> >I am having problems upgrading my PC from XP SP2 to Vista, it gets to 64% of completing
>> >upgrade and stops with error code 0xC0000005.
>> >
>> > I have uninstalled my anti virus software, unplugged all my USB Devices but this has made
>> > now
>> > difference.
>> >
>> > PC Specs are:
>> > 2.4GHZ P4
>> > 250GB PATA HD
>> > 1GB RAM
>> >
>> > Anyone got any ideas and help
>> >

>> You CANNOT DO A CLEAN INSTALL with an upgrade version ... no matter what the directions say
>> .. Vista Upgrade will not install unless a previous version of win 2000 or win XP is
>> previously installed ... I spent hours trying to get a CLEAN INSTALL ... win xp sp2 must be
>> up an running ... and win vista up grade WILL NOT BOOT ... it must run from win xp ... YOU
>> WANT A CLEAN INSTALL ... YOU NEED A FULL VERSION OF VISTA FOR THAT.

First of all, instead of an "in place upgrade", you can do a "custom
install". This option will keep your programs and settings from being
migrated back into Vista. Since Vista is an image based install-
vastly different than previous Windows installs- the OS install *is*
clean.

Or-

Take a valium and then read Donald McDaniel's post.

-Michael