Windows Easy Transfer Companion

MICHAEL

Windows Easy Transfer Companion
Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?

I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
That's a tall order.

Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
plus those two tools might be a better route.

Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be able
to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not able to
transfer due to technical reasons.

Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and
from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer Cable,
you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy
Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC
with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive on your
new PC right away.

Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
market.

MICHAEL

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
Forgot this:

- Supported Operating Systems: Windows Vista; Windows XP
Two physical PCs. The old PC must be running Windows XP SP2 and the new PC must be running
Windows Vista - both in U.S. English.

Both PCs must be connected via an Easy Transfer Cable or LAN.

At least 200MB of free disk space.

Must be run as a user with Administrator rights.
"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your most important
> programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows Vista-based PC. The software will
> move more than 100 of the most popular programs, as well as many others that you may have
> installed. You have complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some programs may not be
> able to transfer, or may not transfer with high confidence. Most security software is not
> able to transfer due to technical reasons.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy Transfer-which is
> part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your data and settings. Connecting your two
> computers can be done with either an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers,
> and from PC manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy Transfer
> Cable, you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your Windows XP-based PC. By using
> Easy Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion you will be able to quickly and easily setup your
> new PC with all the data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive
> on your new PC right away.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC to a Windows
> Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta, and only available for the US
> market.

Beck

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
for the companion?

"Beck" <beck@none> wrote in message news:ePjgSo8RHHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>>
>> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
>> That's a tall order.
>>
>> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
>> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
>> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
> companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
> for the companion?

I'm not exactly sure of the details. I think the Companion is more for those
that buy a new computer and want to move everything over. In fact, it's
only PC to PC via a cable.

-Michael
JW

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I expect that it is only moving Microsoft Programs since to move programs
not only are there the program files and the .dlls stored in various places
but there are also the related registry entries for these programs that have
to be moved. In addition there are of course licensing issues so the
program can probably only be used when doing an inplace upgrade from an XP
system to Vista.

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>
> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> That's a tall order.
>
> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your
> most important programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows
> Vista-based PC. The software will move more than 100 of the most popular
> programs, as well as many others that you may have installed. You have
> complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some
> programs may not be able to transfer, or may not transfer with high
> confidence. Most security software is not able to transfer due to
> technical reasons.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy
> Transfer-which is part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your
> data and settings. Connecting your two computers can be done with either
> an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and from PC
> manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy
> Transfer Cable, you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your
> Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion
> you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC with all the
> data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive
> on your new PC right away.
>
> Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC
> to a Windows Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta,
> and only available for the US market.

Rock

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
"Beck" <beck@none> wrote

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote

>> Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
>>
>> I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
>> That's a tall order.
>>
>> Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
>> alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
>> plus those two tools might be a better route.

> Ignore my last message, I thought you was talking about WET itself not the
> companion. WET transferred my programs by itself though. So why the need
> for the companion?

I don't understand what you are saying. WET only transfers user data and
program data, but not the applications themselves. It doesn't install the
apps on the Vista install. That is what the WET Companion is being designed
to do.

What apps did WET migrate for you?

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?UkFBY2tlcm1hbg==?=

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I am trying to use it. the Easy transfer had no problems. However, the WETC
says that I am running multiple operating systems. It is ONLY Vista Home
Premium (new machine) on one and XP Pro on the other.
there does not seem to be any other information on this subject, either.

"JW" wrote:

> I expect that it is only moving Microsoft Programs since to move programs
> not only are there the program files and the .dlls stored in various places
> but there are also the related registry entries for these programs that have
> to be moved. In addition there are of course licensing issues so the
> program can probably only be used when doing an inplace upgrade from an XP
> system to Vista.
>
> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> > Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
> >
> > I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> > That's a tall order.
> >
> > Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> > alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> > plus those two tools might be a better route.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> >
> > Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your
> > most important programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows
> > Vista-based PC. The software will move more than 100 of the most popular
> > programs, as well as many others that you may have installed. You have
> > complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> > programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some
> > programs may not be able to transfer, or may not transfer with high
> > confidence. Most security software is not able to transfer due to
> > technical reasons.
> >
> > Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy
> > Transfer-which is part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your
> > data and settings. Connecting your two computers can be done with either
> > an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and from PC
> > manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy
> > Transfer Cable, you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your
> > Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion
> > you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC with all the
> > data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive
> > on your new PC right away.
> >
> > Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC
> > to a Windows Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta,
> > and only available for the US market.

=?Utf-8?B?SkFMQU4=?=

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I'm having the same problem: new Dell XPS 410 pc, one hard drive, WETC won't
run because "windows directories were found on multiple drives...this is
currently no a supported scenerio." If anyone knows how to get around this
hang-up I'd like to hear from you.

"RAAckerman" wrote:

> I am trying to use it. the Easy transfer had no problems. However, the WETC
> says that I am running multiple operating systems. It is ONLY Vista Home
> Premium (new machine) on one and XP Pro on the other.
> there does not seem to be any other information on this subject, either.
>
> "JW" wrote:
>
> > I expect that it is only moving Microsoft Programs since to move programs
> > not only are there the program files and the .dlls stored in various places
> > but there are also the related registry entries for these programs that have
> > to be moved. In addition there are of course licensing issues so the
> > program can probably only be used when doing an inplace upgrade from an XP
> > system to Vista.
> >
> > "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> > > Anyone tried it? Heard of anyone who has used it?
> > >
> > > I've used WET before. But this is suppose to transfer programs.
> > > That's a tall order.
> > >
> > > Perhaps, in combination with WET this would be a better
> > > alternative for users than a straight upgrade. A custom install
> > > plus those two tools might be a better route.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
> > >
> > > Windows Easy Transfer Companion enables you to automatically transfer your
> > > most important programs from your Windows XP-based PC to your new Windows
> > > Vista-based PC. The software will move more than 100 of the most popular
> > > programs, as well as many others that you may have installed. You have
> > > complete control over selecting which programs to transfer, so only the
> > > programs you care about will move. The software will alert you if some
> > > programs may not be able to transfer, or may not transfer with high
> > > confidence. Most security software is not able to transfer due to
> > > technical reasons.
> > >
> > > Easy Transfer Companion is designed to be used in addition to Windows Easy
> > > Transfer-which is part of Windows Vista and automatically transfers your
> > > data and settings. Connecting your two computers can be done with either
> > > an Easy Transfer Cable (available online, from retailers, and from PC
> > > manufacturers), or a home or small business network. If using an Easy
> > > Transfer Cable, you must first install Windows Easy Transfer on your
> > > Windows XP-based PC. By using Easy Transfer and Easy Transfer Companion
> > > you will be able to quickly and easily setup your new PC with all the
> > > data, settings, and programs that matter to you, so you can be productive
> > > on your new PC right away.
> > >
> > > Easy Transfer Companion only transfers programs from a Windows XP-based PC
> > > to a Windows Vista-based PC. Easy Transfer Companion is currently in Beta,
> > > and only available for the US market.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5naWUgQg==?=

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I also am having that same problem, where it says "windows directories were
found on multiple dirves" or that I am running multiple operating systems. I
have poked all around and can find nothing to fix the problem. Dell doesn't
seem to support this issue...has anyone found a solution?

"JALAN" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem: new Dell XPS 410 pc, one hard drive, WETC won't
> run because "windows directories were found on multiple drives...this is
> currently no a supported scenerio." If anyone knows how to get around this
> hang-up I'd like to hear from you.
>
> "RAAckerman" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to use it. the Easy transfer had no problems. However, the WETC
> > says that I am running multiple operating systems. It is ONLY Vista Home
> > Premium (new machine) on one and XP Pro on the other.
> > there does not seem to be any other information on this subject, either.
> >
> > "JW" wrote:
> >
> > > I expect that it is only moving Microsoft Programs since to move programs
> > > not only are there the program files and the .dlls stored in various places
> > > but there are also the related registry entries for these programs that have
> > > to be moved. In addition there are of course licensing issues so the
> > > program can probably only be used when doing an inplace upgrade from an XP
> > > system to Vista.

Jerry

Re: Windows Easy Transfer Companion
I also am getting this same error. I think I know why but I don't know what
the fix is. I bet most of us with this problem have Dell machines. I just
recently got a new E520 desktop. I noticed my D drive was created by Dell
and has a volume label of Recovery. I have a feeling we can dual boot into
this recovery drive and Easy Transfer companion is wigging out about it and
refusing to work. What's ironic is this cable was recommended by Dell to be
the easiest means of transferring data from your old machine to your new one.
The cable is recognized fine by both computers, I just haven't been able to
get Easy File Transfer, or Easy file transfer companion to work. I have been
trying to use the pcsync software that came with my Belkin Easy Transfer
cable but it sucks too. It works sometimes but I have issues
when I need to create the directory on my Vista machine. What a pain in the
you know what!