Freezing on install - Ultimate Full (NOT Upgrade)

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhbmVyZ2I=?=

Freezing on install - Ultimate Full (NOT Upgrade)
I'm installing the full version of Ultimate. It boots and works just fine
until the "Completing Installation" part. The monitor will blank and flicker
a few times like Windows is probing the video card. And then it just sits
there. The HDD light is solid - no flicker, blink or anything to suggest the
hard drive is actually working. It doesn't matter how long it sits - I
actually went to grocery store to pick up lunch and came back an hour later
it was still sitting like that. I'm trying to do a dual-boot w/ XP. Any
ideas?

My specs are: AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+, 2g Corsair DDR2 800 RAM, Asus
M2N32-SLI Deluxe (latest BIOS), 2x WD SATA2 Hard Drives (NOT RAID) & x2 EVGA
Geforce 7900GT (SLI)
Jane C

Re: Freezing on install - Ultimate Full (NOT Upgrade)
Can you try the install after first disabling one of the graphics cards?
There were issues in pre-release builds regarding dual/SLI graphics cards,
which may still be present. If install succeeds, then reenable the other
graphics card. Be sure to download the latest nVidia drivers.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"shanergb" <shanergb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm installing the full version of Ultimate. It boots and works just fine
> until the "Completing Installation" part. The monitor will blank and
> flicker
> a few times like Windows is probing the video card. And then it just sits
> there. The HDD light is solid - no flicker, blink or anything to suggest
> the
> hard drive is actually working. It doesn't matter how long it sits - I
> actually went to grocery store to pick up lunch and came back an hour
> later
> it was still sitting like that. I'm trying to do a dual-boot w/ XP. Any
> ideas?
>
> My specs are: AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+, 2g Corsair DDR2 800 RAM, Asus
> M2N32-SLI Deluxe (latest BIOS), 2x WD SATA2 Hard Drives (NOT RAID) & x2
> EVGA
> Geforce 7900GT (SLI)

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhbmVyZ2I=?=

Re: Freezing on install - Ultimate Full (NOT Upgrade)
That was one of the first things I tried doing but it didn't work. I read
posts about Vista not being able to install on some machines with SATA
drives, so I went out and bought an IDE drive. It installed perfectly. But
I don't want to have to be tied down to a slower IDE drive when I've got two
perfectly usable SATA2 drives. Not only that, but I build systems on the
side and if I can't install Vista onto those system because I use SATA2, I've
got a BIG problem... Typical Microsoft arrogance and stupidity to release a
product that doesn't even install for some people.