Upgrade Horror

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQmVlc29u?=

Upgrade Horror
I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have all
been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
files.

Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.

Is there any any way of get my stuff back????

Help!!!!!!
Ron Miller

Re: Upgrade Horror
Chris Beeson wrote:
> I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have all
> been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> files.
>
> Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
>
> Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
>
> Help!!!!!!

Is there no Windows.old folder on your HD?
AJR

Re: Upgrade Horror
"Updated" is not the same as "Upgraded" - sounds as if you did a "clean
install" - how many times have you heard or read (instructions for
installing software) to BACKUP!

"Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> all
> been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> files.
>
> Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
>
> Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
>
> Help!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQmVlc29u?=

Re: Upgrade Horror
No or no where obvious.

This is really puzzling me. My hard drive size seems to reflect that my
files are still there (had a lot of videos and music) but I just can't see
the files.

"Ron Miller" wrote:

> Chris Beeson wrote:
> > I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> > all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have all
> > been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> > files.
> >
> > Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
> >
> > Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
> >
> > Help!!!!!!

> Is there no Windows.old folder on your HD?

Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: Upgrade Horror
check in Vistas controlpanel : folderoptions that you see ALL files'n'
folders.

A directory "windows.old" should be visible in the Drive where Vista now
resides in. Within that folder you should find "documents and setttings"
from XP that contain your data.

Move these (sub)folders where your music,pictures and the like are in, to
the new Vista \users\your_name\music .. \pictures .. .. and delete the
windows.old afterwards.

SJ /germany

"Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:CC5A5F67-1D1C-4F29-BD3C-ACA3C080EF28@microsoft.com...
>I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> all
> been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> files.
>
> Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
>
> Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
>
> Help!!!!!!

Kerry Brown

Re: Upgrade Horror
Did you create a new user when installing Vista? Look and see what Users are
in the C:\Users folder. Your files may be in a different user profile.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> all
> been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> files.
>
> Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
>
> Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
>
> Help!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQmVlc29u?=

Re: Upgrade Horror
I can see all the hidden folders but there is not one called windows.old. I
really wish there was!

"Sascha Benjamin Jazbec" wrote:

> check in Vistas controlpanel : folderoptions that you see ALL files'n'
> folders.
>
> A directory "windows.old" should be visible in the Drive where Vista now
> resides in. Within that folder you should find "documents and setttings"
> from XP that contain your data.
>
> Move these (sub)folders where your music,pictures and the like are in, to
> the new Vista \users\your_name\music .. \pictures .. .. and delete the
> windows.old afterwards.
>
> SJ /germany
>
> "Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:CC5A5F67-1D1C-4F29-BD3C-ACA3C080EF28@microsoft.com...
> >I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> > all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> > all
> > been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> > files.
> >
> > Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
> >
> > Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
> >
> > Help!!!!!!

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgQmVlc29u?=

Re: Upgrade Horror

Thanks Kerry but nothing in any of the other user profiles.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> Did you create a new user when installing Vista? Look and see what Users are
> in the C:\Users folder. Your files may be in a different user profile.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> > all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> > all
> > been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> > files.
> >
> > Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
> >
> > Is there any any way of get my stuff back????
> >
> > Help!!!!!!

Rock

Re: Upgrade Horror
"Chris Beeson" <ChrisBeeson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have just updated from xp to vista Ultmate and to my absolute horror all
> all my documents, pictures, music and programes that I had installed have
> all
> been deleted. The file structure is still intact but contains none of my
> files.
>
> Programs such as outlook, msn messenger that were installed no longer are.
>
> Is there any any way of get my stuff back????

Did you backup your data before doing the upgrade?

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Spanky McFly

What would have happened...
Before you decided to do the upgrade/update and your hard drive crashed?

Where would your data be?