Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."

Dizzledorf

Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Hi,

I just received my Vista Business DVD (thanks, Power Together!) and
installed Vista on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on my 36GB WD
Raptor SATA drive.

The install has gone well. However, I cannot boot my computer without
the original (won't recognize a backup I made) DVD in the drive on
bootup.

Originally, I received a "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
HIT ENTER" message on boot. i Googled a bit and found advice to set
the main C drive as "Active". I did that and restarted.

The message went away, but was simply replaced by another message: "a
kernel file is missing. (then more about insert system disk...)" and
the same symptoms -- won't boot unless the original DVD is inserted.

Mine is a fairly new Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/2GB of RAM and the
aforementioned 10K RPM drive... everything else seems to be fine.

But my computer (technically) won't boot!

How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
up outdated articles...

Thanks,
DIZZLE
Wegie

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Dizzledorf <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote:

> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
> up outdated articles...

Get a Mac!

Why you put up with such primitive errors is BEYOND anyone using a Mac.

Apple has a FAR better machine, it's just the masses don't know it yet.
Macs have much better software selection as well, so there really isn't
ANY reason to run a PC in this day and age.

Wake up people!

http://www.apple.com/getamac/

--
..
Richard Urban

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Do you have any other hard drives in your computer? What type are they?

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Dizzledorf" <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>

> I just received my Vista Business DVD (thanks, Power Together!) and
> installed Vista on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on my 36GB WD
> Raptor SATA drive.
>
> The install has gone well. However, I cannot boot my computer without
> the original (won't recognize a backup I made) DVD in the drive on
> bootup.
>
> Originally, I received a "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
> HIT ENTER" message on boot. i Googled a bit and found advice to set
> the main C drive as "Active". I did that and restarted.
>
> The message went away, but was simply replaced by another message: "a
> kernel file is missing. (then more about insert system disk...)" and
> the same symptoms -- won't boot unless the original DVD is inserted.
>
> Mine is a fairly new Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/2GB of RAM and the
> aforementioned 10K RPM drive... everything else seems to be fine.
>
> But my computer (technically) won't boot!
>
> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
> up outdated articles...
>

> Thanks,
> DIZZLE

Ron Miller

Wegie wrote:
> Dizzledorf <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>> up outdated articles...

> Get a Mac!
>
> Why you put up with such primitive errors is BEYOND anyone using a Mac.
>
> Apple has a FAR better machine, it's just the masses don't know it yet.
> Macs have much better software selection as well, so there really isn't
> ANY reason to run a PC in this day and age.
>
> Wake up people!
>
> http://www.apple.com/getamac/

Ok, Ok, you've made your point. Continuously posting this same stale
reply to everyone in this Usenet group who has a question is helping NO
one. I'm sure you don't intend to do so, but your hackneyed tangential
replies about the superiority of OSX, which don't even contain the
slightest reference to the OP's question, are labeling you as a
proselytizer. As such, you're ruining your credibility -- i.e., people
cannot take seriously a person who makes the same response regardless of
the question. Please give our bandwidth a break and go post your
advertising somewhere else. This group is about users helping users, a
concept which obviously escapes you.

BTW, I am probably going to buy a Mac as soon as the new revision of OSX
comes out in the spring, but I don't plan to make hundreds of posts
touting my decision. That would be disrespectful of the folks who come
here for answers. Also, there are many reasons for running a PC "in
this day and age." Stating the contrary, again, simply detracts from
your credibility.
Kerry Brown

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
It's very funny that the Mac is becoming popular now that it can run
Windows.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Wegie" <here@northere.com> wrote in message
> Dizzledorf <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>> up outdated articles...

> Get a Mac!
>
> Why you put up with such primitive errors is BEYOND anyone using a Mac.
>
> Apple has a FAR better machine, it's just the masses don't know it yet.
> Macs have much better software selection as well, so there really isn't
> ANY reason to run a PC in this day and age.
>
> Wake up people!
>
> http://www.apple.com/getamac/
>
> --
> .

Richard Urban

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
<grin>

Apple may get more sales because Mac can run Windows that they are capable
of getting with a straight Mac product.

Boy, will that ever frost the as*es of the Mac enthusiasts! How can they
badmouth something that turns out to be good for Apple.

--

> It's very funny that the Mac is becoming popular now that it can run
> Windows.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Wegie" <here@northere.com> wrote in message
>> Dizzledorf <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>>> up outdated articles...

>> Get a Mac!
>>
>> Why you put up with such primitive errors is BEYOND anyone using a Mac.
>>
>> Apple has a FAR better machine, it's just the masses don't know it yet.
>> Macs have much better software selection as well, so there really isn't
>> ANY reason to run a PC in this day and age.
>>
>> Wake up people!
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/getamac/
>>
>> --
>> .

Spanky McFly

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
What are the people who run Visual Studio going to do? I make my living
with PC's, thank you very much. So why are you trolling in a vista group if
you love MAC's so much?

"Wegie" <here@northere.com> wrote in message
> Dizzledorf <flunky@dizzle.com> wrote:
>
>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>> up outdated articles...

> Get a Mac!
>
> Why you put up with such primitive errors is BEYOND anyone using a Mac.
>
> Apple has a FAR better machine, it's just the masses don't know it yet.
> Macs have much better software selection as well, so there really isn't
> ANY reason to run a PC in this day and age.
>
> Wake up people!
>
> http://www.apple.com/getamac/
>
> --
> .

koze

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Did you install a driver during the setup from Vista for the SATA drive? Or
are you able to set the SATA to emulate PATA?

If the second is not possible you have to let Vista have a driver to have
access to the SATA drive.

Ko.

"Dizzledorf" <flunky@dizzle.com> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>

> I just received my Vista Business DVD (thanks, Power Together!) and
> installed Vista on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on my 36GB WD
> Raptor SATA drive.
>
> The install has gone well. However, I cannot boot my computer without
> the original (won't recognize a backup I made) DVD in the drive on
> bootup.
>
> Originally, I received a "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
> HIT ENTER" message on boot. i Googled a bit and found advice to set
> the main C drive as "Active". I did that and restarted.
>
> The message went away, but was simply replaced by another message: "a
> kernel file is missing. (then more about insert system disk...)" and
> the same symptoms -- won't boot unless the original DVD is inserted.
>
> Mine is a fairly new Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/2GB of RAM and the
> aforementioned 10K RPM drive... everything else seems to be fine.
>
> But my computer (technically) won't boot!
>
> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
> up outdated articles...
>

> Thanks,
> DIZZLE

Dizzledorf

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Hi Ko, Richard,

I have one other PATA 300GB IDE drive in my machine, as well as two
external USB hard drives.

I didn't install a special driver for Vista during setup as it seemed
to recognize the drive and started installing right away.

How can I have the SATA emulate PATA? Through BIOS?

My Raptor is currently seen by Vista as a "WDC WD360GD-00FLA2 ATA
Device" ... not "SATA", for what that's worth. I just tried to update
the driver in Device Manager (where no device lists a warning), and
Vista recommended keeping the current one.

Is there some secret SATA driver from MS Downloads I should try?

Thanks,
DIZZLE

p.s. Wegie, thanks for helping me update my killfilter! It was
getting a bit stale...

I actually have a Titanium Powerbook and all it's good for is casual
browsing & iTunes. For all serious work, it's back to the PC.

Funny how all the Mac fanboys forget the (even more) painful
transition to OS X. Oh, lots of programs will work... well, except
OFFICE and PHOTOSHOP and... LMAO
:P

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:20:02 +0100, "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote:

>Did you install a driver during the setup from Vista for the SATA drive? Or
>are you able to set the SATA to emulate PATA?
>
>If the second is not possible you have to let Vista have a driver to have
>access to the SATA drive.
>
>Ko.
>
>"Dizzledorf" <flunky@dizzle.com> schreef in bericht
>news:qvg9s2te8pa3cqb754qk3pd898nef3a52e@4ax.com.. .
>> Hi,
>>

>> I just received my Vista Business DVD (thanks, Power Together!) and
>> installed Vista on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on my 36GB WD
>> Raptor SATA drive.
>>
>> The install has gone well. However, I cannot boot my computer without
>> the original (won't recognize a backup I made) DVD in the drive on
>> bootup.
>>
>> Originally, I received a "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
>> HIT ENTER" message on boot. i Googled a bit and found advice to set
>> the main C drive as "Active". I did that and restarted.
>>
>> The message went away, but was simply replaced by another message: "a
>> kernel file is missing. (then more about insert system disk...)" and
>> the same symptoms -- won't boot unless the original DVD is inserted.
>>
>> Mine is a fairly new Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/2GB of RAM and the
>> aforementioned 10K RPM drive... everything else seems to be fine.
>>
>> But my computer (technically) won't boot!
>>
>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>> up outdated articles...
>>

>> Thanks,
>> DIZZLE

Richard Urban

Re: Can't boot without Vista DVD in drive - "a kernel file is missing..."
Install Vista to your hard drive while all other drives are disconnected.

I know for a fact that if an IDE drive is left connected Vista will write
some of the boot code to that drive. After the install has been completed
you will find that Vista will NOT boot. It will give you the EXACT message
that you posted here.

Now, it may be that if you have USB drives connected - and active - when you
install Vista, the same thing happens.

It's worth a try, yes?

--

> Hi Ko, Richard,
>
> I have one other PATA 300GB IDE drive in my machine, as well as two
> external USB hard drives.
>
> I didn't install a special driver for Vista during setup as it seemed
> to recognize the drive and started installing right away.
>
> How can I have the SATA emulate PATA? Through BIOS?
>
> My Raptor is currently seen by Vista as a "WDC WD360GD-00FLA2 ATA
> Device" ... not "SATA", for what that's worth. I just tried to update
> the driver in Device Manager (where no device lists a warning), and
> Vista recommended keeping the current one.
>
> Is there some secret SATA driver from MS Downloads I should try?
>

> Thanks,
> DIZZLE
>
> p.s. Wegie, thanks for helping me update my killfilter! It was
> getting a bit stale...
>
> I actually have a Titanium Powerbook and all it's good for is casual
> browsing & iTunes. For all serious work, it's back to the PC.
>
> Funny how all the Mac fanboys forget the (even more) painful
> transition to OS X. Oh, lots of programs will work... well, except
> OFFICE and PHOTOSHOP and... LMAO
> :P
>

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 23:20:02 +0100, "koze" <koze@nospam.nospam> wrote:
>
>>Did you install a driver during the setup from Vista for the SATA drive?
>>Or
>>are you able to set the SATA to emulate PATA?
>>
>>If the second is not possible you have to let Vista have a driver to have
>>access to the SATA drive.
>>
>>Ko.
>>
>>"Dizzledorf" <flunky@dizzle.com> schreef in bericht
>>news:qvg9s2te8pa3cqb754qk3pd898nef3a52e@4ax.com. ..
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I just received my Vista Business DVD (thanks, Power Together!) and
>>> installed Vista on a freshly formatted NTFS partition on my 36GB WD
>>> Raptor SATA drive.
>>>
>>> The install has gone well. However, I cannot boot my computer without
>>> the original (won't recognize a backup I made) DVD in the drive on
>>> bootup.
>>>
>>> Originally, I received a "DISK BOOT FAILURE. INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
>>> HIT ENTER" message on boot. i Googled a bit and found advice to set
>>> the main C drive as "Active". I did that and restarted.
>>>
>>> The message went away, but was simply replaced by another message: "a
>>> kernel file is missing. (then more about insert system disk...)" and
>>> the same symptoms -- won't boot unless the original DVD is inserted.
>>>
>>> Mine is a fairly new Athlon 64 X2 3800+ w/2GB of RAM and the
>>> aforementioned 10K RPM drive... everything else seems to be fine.
>>>
>>> But my computer (technically) won't boot!
>>>
>>> How can I resolve this? Most Googles on the kernel file error bring
>>> up outdated articles...
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> DIZZLE