How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?

=?Utf-8?B?TWVsbGlmbHVvdXM=?=

How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?
Hi, I attempted to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to Vista Home
Premium. When I inserted the disk in W2K, it said an install couldn't be done
over 2000 (as you can with XP) and told me to boot from the disk (F8 etc).

I did so, and I don't know whether I did it the wrong way. I started
installing Vista on the same drive as 2000 but then wondered whether this
would create 2 OS's on that disk. So I rebooted and installed Vista as I
usually do, formatting the disk with W2K on it and then installing Vista.

When attempting to activate, of course a message comes up saying I can't
"clean install" an upgrade.

How do I upgrade Windows 2000? will it work if I reinstall 2000 and then
reboot and install Vista on the same disk?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?
How to install Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918884/en-us

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mellifluous" wrote:

Hi, I attempted to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to Vista Home
Premium. When I inserted the disk in W2K, it said an install couldn't be done
over 2000 (as you can with XP) and told me to boot from the disk (F8 etc).

I did so, and I don't know whether I did it the wrong way. I started
installing Vista on the same drive as 2000 but then wondered whether this
would create 2 OS's on that disk. So I rebooted and installed Vista as I
usually do, formatting the disk with W2K on it and then installing Vista.

When attempting to activate, of course a message comes up saying I can't
"clean install" an upgrade.

How do I upgrade Windows 2000? will it work if I reinstall 2000 and then
reboot and install Vista on the same disk?
Sascha Benjamin Jazbec

Re: How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?
run vista setup from within 2000 and choose "custom install", choose same
partition 2000 is already in.

This will boot only Vista alone as single OS.

You will find a directory "windows.old" that contains all personal files
from your win2000 - that way you can copy your stuff to the new Vista \Users
folder and delete the windows.old dir afterwards.

You will of course have to reinstall all your programs and games and what
else.

SJ / germany
"Mellifluous" <Mellifluous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi, I attempted to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to Vista Home
> Premium. When I inserted the disk in W2K, it said an install couldn't be
> done
> over 2000 (as you can with XP) and told me to boot from the disk (F8 etc).
>
> I did so, and I don't know whether I did it the wrong way. I started
> installing Vista on the same drive as 2000 but then wondered whether this
> would create 2 OS's on that disk. So I rebooted and installed Vista as I
> usually do, formatting the disk with W2K on it and then installing Vista.
>
> When attempting to activate, of course a message comes up saying I can't
> "clean install" an upgrade.
>
> How do I upgrade Windows 2000? will it work if I reinstall 2000 and then
> reboot and install Vista on the same disk?

Rock

Re: How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?
"Mellifluous" <Mellifluous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi, I attempted to upgrade from Windows 2000 Professional to Vista Home
> Premium. When I inserted the disk in W2K, it said an install couldn't be
> done
> over 2000 (as you can with XP) and told me to boot from the disk (F8 etc).
>
> I did so, and I don't know whether I did it the wrong way. I started
> installing Vista on the same drive as 2000 but then wondered whether this
> would create 2 OS's on that disk. So I rebooted and installed Vista as I
> usually do, formatting the disk with W2K on it and then installing Vista.
>
> When attempting to activate, of course a message comes up saying I can't
> "clean install" an upgrade.
>
> How do I upgrade Windows 2000? will it work if I reinstall 2000 and then
> reboot and install Vista on the same disk?

To upgrade to VHP from Windows 2000, you have to start the installation from
the Win2k desktop, and do a custom install. It cannot do an in place
upgrade.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

=?Utf-8?B?TWVsbGlmbHVvdXM=?=

Re: How-to question: Upgrading from Windows 2000?
Just the help I was looking for. Many thanks, that worked.