Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZSBSZXlub2xkcw==?=

Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!
Hi,

I have just installed Vista Ultimate OEM on a Pentium D Dual core 3.4ghz
system.
Under device manager I have 2 processors, but task manager and all the other
diagnostic tools say I only have one processor using one core

I have tried everything to correct, can anyone help me please!!!!!

Dave.
Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!

Under admin tools, there is a system config program. Under the boot tab,
there is an advance button. There is an option to set number of CPUs. If
everything is set normal, you might try setting it to 1 yourself and then
turning back off, or setting it to two.

"Dave Reynolds" <Dave Reynolds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news78D7FD0-A21D-4694-9478-1216B85D0043@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have just installed Vista Ultimate OEM on a Pentium D Dual core 3.4ghz
> system.
> Under device manager I have 2 processors, but task manager and all the
> other
> diagnostic tools say I only have one processor using one core
>
> I have tried everything to correct, can anyone help me please!!!!!
>
> Dave.

AJR

Re: Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!
There is nothing to correct - two things apply - BIOS must support the
processor (may not be the default) and applications must support dual core.

"Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
news:85ednSoGJO_FSFnYnZ2dnUVZ_uejnZ2d@insightbb.co m...

> Under admin tools, there is a system config program. Under the boot tab,
> there is an advance button. There is an option to set number of CPUs. If
> everything is set normal, you might try setting it to 1 yourself and then
> turning back off, or setting it to two.
>
> "Dave Reynolds" <Dave Reynolds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news78D7FD0-A21D-4694-9478-1216B85D0043@microsoft.com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have just installed Vista Ultimate OEM on a Pentium D Dual core 3.4ghz
>> system.
>> Under device manager I have 2 processors, but task manager and all the
>> other
>> diagnostic tools say I only have one processor using one core
>>
>> I have tried everything to correct, can anyone help me please!!!!!
>>
>> Dave.

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!
How can there be nothing to correct ? It's not working correctly or at
least, as expected. If Vista reports two processors then TaskManager at
least should show two processors. That's how it works for me. It would seem
odd, for the mobo not to support dual cores, yet Vista see them anyway. Of
course, in the taskmanger there is an option under View - CPU history that
says show one graph for all CPUs, which then makes it appear there is only 1
CPU.

Maybe what is confusing Vista is the Hyperthreading part. If the mobo
allowed it, I think I would try disabling HT and see if Vista is any happier

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> There is nothing to correct - two things apply - BIOS must support the
> processor (may not be the default) and applications must support dual
> core.
>
> "Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in message
> news:85ednSoGJO_FSFnYnZ2dnUVZ_uejnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>>
>> Under admin tools, there is a system config program. Under the boot tab,
>> there is an advance button. There is an option to set number of CPUs. If
>> everything is set normal, you might try setting it to 1 yourself and then
>> turning back off, or setting it to two.
>>
>> "Dave Reynolds" <Dave Reynolds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news78D7FD0-A21D-4694-9478-1216B85D0043@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have just installed Vista Ultimate OEM on a Pentium D Dual core 3.4ghz
>>> system.
>>> Under device manager I have 2 processors, but task manager and all the
>>> other
>>> diagnostic tools say I only have one processor using one core
>>>
>>> I have tried everything to correct, can anyone help me please!!!!!
>>>
>>> Dave.

JW

Re: Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!
On My RC2 Vista Ultimate with dual cores it works exactly the same as it did
in XP.
1. Device Manager shows two processors.
2 Task Manger CPU performance normally shows the combined CPU perforamance
as if there is only one CPU.
3. If I go to Task manager/ processs and right click on a process for most
processes I have a CPU affinity option which is normally set to allow a
process to run on either CPU, however, if you have the option to run a
process on either CPU 1 or CPU2 then you know that both processors are
working properly.

> How can there be nothing to correct ? It's not working correctly or at
> least, as expected. If Vista reports two processors then TaskManager at
> least should show two processors. That's how it works for me. It would
> seem odd, for the mobo not to support dual cores, yet Vista see them
> anyway. Of course, in the taskmanger there is an option under View - CPU
> history that says show one graph for all CPUs, which then makes it appear
> there is only 1 CPU.
>
> Maybe what is confusing Vista is the Hyperthreading part. If the mobo
> allowed it, I think I would try disabling HT and see if Vista is any
> happier
>

> "AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> There is nothing to correct - two things apply - BIOS must support the
>> processor (may not be the default) and applications must support dual
>> core.
>>
>> "Dale "Mad_Murdock" White" <dale.white@NOinsightbb.NOcom> wrote in
>> message news:85ednSoGJO_FSFnYnZ2dnUVZ_uejnZ2d@insightbb.co m...
>>>
>>> Under admin tools, there is a system config program. Under the boot tab,
>>> there is an advance button. There is an option to set number of CPUs. If
>>> everything is set normal, you might try setting it to 1 yourself and
>>> then turning back off, or setting it to two.
>>>
>>> "Dave Reynolds" <Dave Reynolds@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news78D7FD0-A21D-4694-9478-1216B85D0043@microsoft.com...

Dale \Mad_Murdock\ White

Re: Visa ultimate seeing two processors using only 1!
Well, I'm not sure if we are talking 2 different things are not. But here is
what I've see from the 3 different versions I've installs, Enterprise, Hme
Prem and Ultimate. I got ot taskmanager and look at performance and see 2
CPU bars. This is how I see it in XP as well. I don't have a Dual core
Intel, the one I had was HT enabled and it also show the two CPU processes

http://images1.filecloud.com/358943/CPU.jpg

I agree, if you have the option to set affinity and you have at least CPU 0
and CPU 1 that would sure seem to imply there are 2+ CPUs