Install error at 59%

=?Utf-8?B?VmlzdGFsZXNzIGluIE5K?=

Install error at 59%
I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium on my HP Pavilion 8130 laptop (Win
MCE 2005). I updated to the latest bios and drivers from the HP web site. The
Vista upgrade advisor says that everything is good to go. I've tried
upgrading about 6 times and get the same error every time at the 59% point of
"completing upgrade": Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
Program: C:\\Windows\system\oobe\setup.exe
I've removed Norton and all antivirus programs. I was on the phone with
Microsoft for an hour to no avail (they had me disable all startup programs
and devices). What the heck is the problem? Thanks
=?Utf-8?B?Y3NpZ3Jpc3N1bQ==?=

RE: Install error at 59%
I have this identical problem-- Was there ever a solution?
I've captured my setup logs, as well as the version of MSOOBE being
referenced...
It's 6.0.6000.16386. (Dated 11/2/2006 at 0346 am)

I'm installing Ultimate (upgrade from XP PRO SP2)
My system though is a Siemens Celcius670
Dual XEON processors
2 GB Ram
C: Freespace=30.4GB
D: Fresspace=157GB

Ben

"Vistaless in NJ" wrote:

> I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium on my HP Pavilion 8130 laptop (Win
> MCE 2005). I updated to the latest bios and drivers from the HP web site. The
> Vista upgrade advisor says that everything is good to go. I've tried
> upgrading about 6 times and get the same error every time at the 59% point of
> "completing upgrade": Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
> Program: C:\\Windows\system\oobe\setup.exe
> I've removed Norton and all antivirus programs. I was on the phone with
> Microsoft for an hour to no avail (they had me disable all startup programs
> and devices). What the heck is the problem? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?Tm93IEhhdmUgVmlzdGEgaW4gTko=?=

RE: Install error at 59%
I basically had to do a clean install. It took me quite a while to get
everything back to normal. The only disappointment I had was that ACDCee
doesn't work with vista (yet).

"csigrissum" wrote:

> I have this identical problem-- Was there ever a solution?
> I've captured my setup logs, as well as the version of MSOOBE being
> referenced...
> It's 6.0.6000.16386. (Dated 11/2/2006 at 0346 am)
>
> I'm installing Ultimate (upgrade from XP PRO SP2)
> My system though is a Siemens Celcius670
> Dual XEON processors
> 2 GB Ram
> C: Freespace=30.4GB
> D: Fresspace=157GB
>
> Ben

> "Vistaless in NJ" wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium on my HP Pavilion 8130 laptop (Win
> > MCE 2005). I updated to the latest bios and drivers from the HP web site. The
> > Vista upgrade advisor says that everything is good to go. I've tried
> > upgrading about 6 times and get the same error every time at the 59% point of
> > "completing upgrade": Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
> > Program: C:\\Windows\system\oobe\setup.exe
> > I've removed Norton and all antivirus programs. I was on the phone with
> > Microsoft for an hour to no avail (they had me disable all startup programs
> > and devices). What the heck is the problem? Thanks

mikimous

Re: Install error at 59%
Same problem here. Has anyone managed to get any information from
Microsoft on the matter? My Vista Home Premium upgrade is an OEM
(Dell) version. They weren't any help at trying to identify what the
issue could be. It seems like the install has run smoothly
otherwise. If I could somehow bypass the running of OOBE so that this
error condition wouldn't hit, then I think I would be set.

The only other option I see is a fresh install and I'd like to avoid
that. Anyone have Microsoft's ear? I can't even get to e-mail
support since my license is OEM.

On Feb 24, 5:44 pm, Now Have Vista in NJ <Now Have Vista in
N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I basically had to do a clean install. It took me quite a while to get
> everything back to normal. The only disappointment I had was that ACDCee
> doesn't work with vista (yet).
>

> "csigrissum" wrote:
> > I have this identical problem-- Was there ever a solution?
> > I've captured my setup logs, as well as the version of MSOOBE being
> > referenced...
> > It's 6.0.6000.16386. (Dated 11/2/2006 at 0346 am)

> > I'm installing Ultimate (upgrade from XP PRO SP2)
> > My system though is a Siemens Celcius670
> > Dual XEON processors
> > 2 GB Ram
> > C: Freespace=30.4GB
> > D: Fresspace=157GB

> > Ben

> > "Vistaless in NJ" wrote:

> > > I'm trying to install Vista Home Premium on my HP Pavilion 8130 laptop (Win
> > > MCE 2005). I updated to the latest bios and drivers from the HP web site. The
> > > Vista upgrade advisor says that everything is good to go. I've tried
> > > upgrading about 6 times and get the same error every time at the 59% point of
> > > "completing upgrade": Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error!
> > > Program: C:\\Windows\system\oobe\setup.exe
> > > I've removed Norton and all antivirus programs. I was on the phone with
> > > Microsoft for an hour to no avail (they had me disable all startup programs
> > > and devices). What the heck is the problem? Thanks- Hide quoted text -

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Install error at 59%
I guess I can join the club. The same error occurs on my HP Pavilion MCE 2005
desktop PC at 56% Completion.

Even though the Content Advisor basically gave the OK to upgrade, I have
been uninstalling a boatload of applications just in case one of them might
be the problem. It's a grasp in the dark.

Am not using Norton products. Am using Microsoft's own One Live OneCare,
however.

I wonder if the common thread is MCE 2005 (Media Center Edition)? I don't
think that as many people have that as XP Home or XP Pro??

By clean installation, do they mean to completely wipe out the hard drive
contents and install Vista "fresh". I would like that idea except that HP
included various applications and utilities that was not included with
regular XP.

"mikimous" wrote:

> Same problem here. Has anyone managed to get any information from
> Microsoft on the matter? My Vista Home Premium upgrade is an OEM
> (Dell) version. They weren't any help at trying to identify what the
> issue could be. It seems like the install has run smoothly
> otherwise. If I could somehow bypass the running of OOBE so that this
> error condition wouldn't hit, then I think I would be set.
>
> The only other option I see is a fresh install and I'd like to avoid
> that. Anyone have Microsoft's ear? I can't even get to e-mail
> support since my license is OEM.
>
> On Feb 24, 5:44 pm, Now Have Vista in NJ <Now Have Vista in
> N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I basically had to do a clean install. It took me quite a while to get
> > everything back to normal. The only disappointment I had was that ACDCee
> > doesn't work with vista (yet).
> >

> > "csigrissum" wrote:
> > > I have this identical problem-- Was there ever a solution?
> > > I've captured my setup logs, as well as the version of MSOOBE being
> > > referenced...
> > > It's 6.0.6000.16386. (Dated 11/2/2006 at 0346 am)

> > > I'm installing Ultimate (upgrade from XP PRO SP2)
> > > My system though is a Siemens Celcius670
> > > Dual XEON processors
> > > 2 GB Ram
> > > C: Freespace=30.4GB
> > > D: Fresspace=157GB

> > > Ben

=?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXM=?=

Re: Install error at 59%
I am having the same problem. After installing the Vista Home Premium from
the HP upgrade Vista software, I got a blue screen error three times before
the software restored my HP PC dv9013cl Pavillion Notebook back to XP Media
Center 2005.

"Brad" wrote:

> I guess I can join the club. The same error occurs on my HP Pavilion MCE 2005
> desktop PC at 56% Completion.
>
> Even though the Content Advisor basically gave the OK to upgrade, I have
> been uninstalling a boatload of applications just in case one of them might
> be the problem. It's a grasp in the dark.
>
> Am not using Norton products. Am using Microsoft's own One Live OneCare,
> however.
>
> I wonder if the common thread is MCE 2005 (Media Center Edition)? I don't
> think that as many people have that as XP Home or XP Pro??
>
> By clean installation, do they mean to completely wipe out the hard drive
> contents and install Vista "fresh". I would like that idea except that HP
> included various applications and utilities that was not included with
> regular XP.
>

> "mikimous" wrote:
>
> > Same problem here. Has anyone managed to get any information from
> > Microsoft on the matter? My Vista Home Premium upgrade is an OEM
> > (Dell) version. They weren't any help at trying to identify what the
> > issue could be. It seems like the install has run smoothly
> > otherwise. If I could somehow bypass the running of OOBE so that this
> > error condition wouldn't hit, then I think I would be set.
> >
> > The only other option I see is a fresh install and I'd like to avoid
> > that. Anyone have Microsoft's ear? I can't even get to e-mail
> > support since my license is OEM.
> >
> > On Feb 24, 5:44 pm, Now Have Vista in NJ <Now Have Vista in
> > N...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I basically had to do a clean install. It took me quite a while to get
> > > everything back to normal. The only disappointment I had was that ACDCee
> > > doesn't work with vista (yet).

=?Utf-8?B?QnJhZA==?=

Re: Install error at 59%
I see two different issues here: installation failure at 5x% and the blue
screens after installation.

Here's what resolved the installation failure at 5x%: I ran the HP Recovery
process for your XP. I did not have to do a Destructive Recovery (which would
have reformatted the partition and reinstalled XP), but rather a System
Recovery, which reinstalled the OS onto the hard drive back to the state the
OS was when the computer was new. This required me to download gobs of
updates from Microsoft.

I then uninstalled a lot of the commercial crapola that HP included with the
OS (vonage, aol-something, and so on). Important! I uninstalled the Symantec
(Norton) stuff! Vista will stop installation if you have not removed it.
Symantec has a tool for removing all their applications from the PC.

After having done that, Vista installed. IMPORTANT! After Vista installed, I
RE-RAN the HP Upgrade Assistant! VERY IMPORTANT! Apparently, HP has a lot
of drivers and stuff it needs to install into Vista. (I can imagine a number
of people forgetting to do that last step.)

I haven't seen any blue screens in the 12 hours that Vista has been running.
<knock on wood>

Of course, usual disclaimers apply. I can only reflect what worked for me,
and I do not imply, infer, or suggest that anyone should assume that my
procedures are good, complete, correct, or appropriate for your or anyone
else's specific situations. Proceed at your own risk and your own
responsibility.