*Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed?

Ronnie Vernon MVP

*Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed?
Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information.

Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that can
(if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition.

Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has
coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on
Vista, please be sure to update immediately and if you have any
customer/clients/friends that are running PD8 on Vista, please tell them
to update immediately.

Regards,

Greg Hayes
Microsoft MVP - Windows Server/File Systems
System Engineer
Raxco Software, Inc.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Bob Huntley

Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Perfect Disk 5.0 will run in Vista?

When my Vista Upgrade disk arrives (ordered for my new PC) I will upgrade
Windows XP MCE 2005 - which has Perfect Disk 5 already installed and running
fine.

The Vista upgrade advisor didn't report any problems - but just to be sure,
should I add it to the list of programmes to uninstall before running the
upgrade?

PS - It wouldn't install into Vista in the RC1 version I tried on my old PC,
so I was unable to experiment with it there. Since the upgrade will bypass
the need to install it,

> Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information.
>
> Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that
> can
> (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition.
>
> Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has
> coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on
> Vista, please be sure to update immediately and if you have any
> customer/clients/friends that are running PD8 on Vista, please tell them
> to update immediately.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg Hayes
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server/File Systems
> System Engineer
> Raxco Software, Inc.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

MICHAEL

Re: Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
installed, it would probably mess up your system.

-Michael

"Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Perfect Disk 5.0 will run in Vista?
>
> When my Vista Upgrade disk arrives (ordered for my new PC) I will upgrade Windows XP MCE
> 2005 - which has Perfect Disk 5 already installed and running fine.
>
> The Vista upgrade advisor didn't report any problems - but just to be sure, should I add it
> to the list of programmes to uninstall before running the upgrade?
>
> PS - It wouldn't install into Vista in the RC1 version I tried on my old PC, so I was unable
> to experiment with it there. Since the upgrade will bypass the need to install it,
>

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>> Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information.
>>
>> Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that can
>> (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition.
>>
>> Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has
>> coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on
>> Vista, please be sure to update immediately and if you have any
>> customer/clients/friends that are running PD8 on Vista, please tell them
>> to update immediately.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Greg Hayes
>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server/File Systems
>> System Engineer
>> Raxco Software, Inc.
>>

>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User

Richard Urban

Re: *Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed?
When you have a slightly different version of the NTFS file system (Vista
does) you want to use low level utilities that understand the changes.
Trying to use an older defrag program is just asking for file/disk
corruption.

Either use what comes with Vista or pay $50 for PerfectDisk 8.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

> Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information.
>
> Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that
> can
> (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition.
>
> Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has
> coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on
> Vista, please be sure to update immediately and if you have any
> customer/clients/friends that are running PD8 on Vista, please tell them
> to update immediately.
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg Hayes
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server/File Systems
> System Engineer
> Raxco Software, Inc.
>

> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

Richard Urban

"MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
> Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
> installed, it would probably mess up your system.
>
> -Michael
>
> "Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Perfect Disk 5.0 will run in
>> Vista?
>>
>> When my Vista Upgrade disk arrives (ordered for my new PC) I will upgrade
>> Windows XP MCE 2005 - which has Perfect Disk 5 already installed and
>> running fine.
>>
>> The Vista upgrade advisor didn't report any problems - but just to be
>> sure, should I add it to the list of programmes to uninstall before
>> running the upgrade?
>>
>> PS - It wouldn't install into Vista in the RC1 version I tried on my old
>> PC, so I was unable to experiment with it there. Since the upgrade will
>> bypass the need to install it,
>>

>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <rv@invalid.org> wrote in message
>>> Greg Hayes from Raxco Software has posted the following information.
>>>
>>> Raxco has discovered and reported to Microsoft a bug in volsnap.sys that
>>> can
>>> (if conditions are right) cause corruption and loss of the partition.
>>>
>>> Raxco has just released PD8 Build 50 (SP4). With Build 50, Raxco has
>>> coded around this issue with volsnap.sys. If anybody is running PD8 on
>>> Vista, please be sure to update immediately and if you have any
>>> customer/clients/friends that are running PD8 on Vista, please tell them
>>> to update immediately.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Greg Hayes
>>> Microsoft MVP - Windows Server/File Systems
>>> System Engineer
>>> Raxco Software, Inc.
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

MICHAEL

Re: Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
I absolutely agree. Although, I prefer Diskeeper 2007.

-Michael

> When you have a slightly different version of the NTFS file system (Vista
> does) you want to use low level utilities that understand the changes.
> Trying to use an older defrag program is just asking for file/disk
> corruption.
>
> Either use what comes with Vista or pay $50 for PerfectDisk 8.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
>> installed, it would probably mess up your system.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Perfect Disk 5.0 will run in Vista?
>>>
>>> When my Vista Upgrade disk arrives (ordered for my new PC) I will upgrade Windows XP MCE
>>> 2005 - which has Perfect Disk 5 already installed and running fine.
>>>
>>> The Vista upgrade advisor didn't report any problems - but just to be sure, should I add it
>>> to the list of programmes to uninstall before running the upgrade?
>>>
>>> PS - It wouldn't install into Vista in the RC1 version I tried on my old PC, so I was
>>> unable to experiment with it there. Since the upgrade will bypass the need to install it,

Bob Huntley

Re: Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
Thanks for the replies - thought so, but since the Upgrade Advisor didn't
highlight it I had some faint hopes.

Another $50 to charge to the total upgrade cost!

Bob,

> When you have a slightly different version of the NTFS file system (Vista
> does) you want to use low level utilities that understand the changes.
> Trying to use an older defrag program is just asking for file/disk
> corruption.
>
> Either use what comes with Vista or pay $50 for PerfectDisk 8.
>

> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>

> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>> Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
>> installed, it would probably mess up your system.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>> "Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Can anyone confirm (or otherwise) that Perfect Disk 5.0 will run in
>>> Vista?
>>>
>>> When my Vista Upgrade disk arrives (ordered for my new PC) I will
>>> upgrade Windows XP MCE 2005 - which has Perfect Disk 5 already installed
>>> and running fine.
>>>
>>> The Vista upgrade advisor didn't report any problems - but just to be
>>> sure, should I add it to the list of programmes to uninstall before
>>> running the upgrade?
>>>
>>> PS - It wouldn't install into Vista in the RC1 version I tried on my old
>>> PC, so I was unable to experiment with it there. Since the upgrade will
>>> bypass the need to install it,

Richard Urban

Re: Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
You don't have to spend anything. I have PD8 on my computer. I haven't used
it for about 2 months now. I have reverted to the Vista supplied defrag
utility. I am glad to say it is one less maintenance chore I don't have to
remember to do.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban

> Thanks for the replies - thought so, but since the Upgrade Advisor didn't
> highlight it I had some faint hopes.
>
> Another $50 to charge to the total upgrade cost!
>
> Bob,

>> When you have a slightly different version of the NTFS file system (Vista
>> does) you want to use low level utilities that understand the changes.
>> Trying to use an older defrag program is just asking for file/disk
>> corruption.
>>
>> Either use what comes with Vista or pay $50 for PerfectDisk 8.
>>

>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>

>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote in message
>>> Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
>>> installed, it would probably mess up your system.
>>>
>>> -Michael

Rock

Re: Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed? Follow-up - What about older versions of Perfect Disk?
"Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote

> Thanks for the replies - thought so, but since the Upgrade Advisor didn't
> highlight it I had some faint hopes.
>
> Another $50 to charge to the total upgrade cost!

> "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote

>> When you have a slightly different version of the NTFS file system (Vista
>> does) you want to use low level utilities that understand the changes.
>> Trying to use an older defrag program is just asking for file/disk
>> corruption.
>>
>> Either use what comes with Vista or pay $50 for PerfectDisk 8.

>> "MICHAEL" <u158627_emr@dslr.net> wrote
>>> Perfect Disk 5 will not work on Vista, even if you got it
>>> installed, it would probably mess up your system.

>>> "Bob Huntley" <bob.huntley.REMOVE_THISD@btinternet.com> wrote

<snip>

While both Perfect Disk and Diskeeper are good products, you don't have to
use a 3rd party defragger, or spend $50 more. For a very thorough
discussion of Defrag on XP read the recent thread on go to
microsoft.windows.vista.general and read the thread titled "Vista Defrag
Sucks" and in particular the replies by Ken Gardner. Unless you like
sitting there wasting time watching the colored blocks shake and move, the
built in defrag does the job.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

rabgary

Re: *Critical* Do you have PerfectDisk 8 installed?

Refer to following thread at Dsl
Reports.http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17761051

--
rabgary