cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit

=?Utf-8?B?Ymp0bGF4?=

cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc I
get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I
dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.
BobS

Re: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
Dear no-name....

You cannot upgrade the existing operating system to a x64 system - you can
only do a clean install. What that means is that the install will not
transfer your other settings/files etc. to the new x64 bit system. You will
be loading everything in again.

Set your system to boot from the DVD or if your BIOS supports it, press F8
during bootup to select your DVD as the boot device.

From there follow the bouncing ball or read a lot more of the posts from the
past two days to learn more about the undocumented (but works nicely) clean
install or you can make a dual-boot system or..........

Bob S.

"bjtlax" <bjtlax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc I
> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I
> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

Tom Lake

Re: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
"bjtlax" <bjtlax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc I
> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I
> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

What OS are you running now? the 64-bit version won't upgrade a 32-bit
OS. If you have a 32-bit OS now you'll need the full version of Vista
rather than
the upgrade version.

Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

RE: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
Hi:
You are surely trying to upgrade from a 32bit OS and that is not possible.
What is possible indeed, is to do a fresh install of the upgrade DVD,
regardless of the OS.
Search the posts in this NG in the last days and you will have detailed info
for doing it.
There is no need for a full version.
An upgrade version can be installed.
Carlos

"bjtlax" wrote:

> I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc I
> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I
> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

Rock

Re: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote

> "bjtlax" <bjtlax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>>I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc
>> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
>> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media".
>> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

> What OS are you running now? the 64-bit version won't upgrade a 32-bit
> OS. If you have a 32-bit OS now you'll need the full version of Vista
> rather than
> the upgrade version.

Tom that's not quite true. An upgrade version can be used to go from x86 XP
to x64 Vista. It has to be started by booting the DVD, it checks that XP is
installed, then allows you to do a custom install.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
"bjtlax" <bjtlax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc I
> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media". I
> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

Although you can use a upgrade version of Vista x64 to go from x86 or x64 XP
to x64 Vista, it can only do a custom install, not an in place upgrade.
With x86 XP installed, active and genuine, boot from the x64 Vista DVD. It
will confirm that XP is installed, and then you can do a custom install.
For x64 XP, the upgrade can be started either from the XP desktop or by
booting from the DVD. Still the only option is a clean install.

To migrate data and settings run the Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the XP
installation before doing the upgrade, store the migrated data on an
external USB drive or DVD, then install Vista, reinstall applications from
the original media and use WET to bring in the data and settings.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]

Rock

Re: cannot install Vista Ultimate in 64-bit
"Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> Hi:
> You are surely trying to upgrade from a 32bit OS and that is not possible.
> What is possible indeed, is to do a fresh install of the upgrade DVD,
> regardless of the OS.
> Search the posts in this NG in the last days and you will have detailed
> info
> for doing it.
> There is no need for a full version.
> An upgrade version can be installed.
> Carlos
>
> "bjtlax" wrote:
>
>> I have an AMD x64 3700+ processor. When I put in the 64-bit upgrade disc
>> get an error saying "Setup can not run on this version of the Operating
>> System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media".
>> dont think I missed any requirements with my system. Please help.

This is not correct. You don't have to go through that double install to
get x64 with an upgrade version. It can be installed over x86, it just
can't do an in place upgrade. See my other post.

--
Rock [MVP - User/Shell]