Upgrade Problem

Martin Racette

Upgrade Problem
Hi,

I'm attempting to upgrade my XP Pro, to Vista Ultimate, everything went
nicely upto the point that the computer rebooted, and then I got a BSOD with
either 0x0000007E, or 0x0000000A, or 0x00000050. But mostly the first 2

I even attempted to boot from the Vista DVD, but I got the problem

My Hardware is:
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
RAM: 4Gb
HDD: 2 x 74Gb SATA, 2 x 400Gb SATA, 1 x 250Gb SATA

BTW one of the 2 74Gb is the one on which XP (and Vista will be) installed

--
Thank you in advance
Merci a l'avance

Martin

BobS

Re: Upgrade Problem
Martin,

We have similar systems and you may want to read the posts about SATA drives
on this motherboard with the Sil 3132 SATA controller and Nvidia chipsets.

Very long story short. Install a standard (but good) EIDE drive in IDE 0
and do a dual-boot install so you can retain your WinXP setup (for now) and
Vista x64 to play with until the vendors get this sorted out.

Yes, WinXP will load to SATA and the install package for Vista loads to SATA
but when it does that reboot where the Vista install is done and you're
booting into Vista to complete the install - it goes black with a blinking
cursor (or not) and no error codes. I have downloaded the Sil 3132
controller drivers for both the 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (x64) versions and
loaded them in during the Vista install (small Load Drivers lower right of
install window). It appears that it does not retain them.

I have Vista x64 up and running (and I like it...) on a spare EIDE drive I
have and when you get to do the first MS update, you will note that the
first update you'll see is one for the Sil3132 SATA controller.

The other posts I've made tell you what I've tried and what others have
suggested. Carlos found a good article which he posted a link to under one
of my posts http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299.html?start=0 . It's a
bit long once you start clicking on the links and a bit confusing - so read
it a couple of times and I think you'll agree - there's a problem. I have
not tried the suggested fixes in that article (and other links). It's not
just about RAID controllers so don't let that throw you off. It may not be
the problem but for right now, everything I've tried and have found out so
far points in that direction. It's either the Nvidia or SATA drivers that
are the problems.

Once its installed on an EIDE drive and you download the updates - it see's
all the SATA drives but not before if you're doing a clean install. I know
that's confusing but I'm a bit burned out tonight.....

Bob S.

"Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to upgrade my XP Pro, to Vista Ultimate, everything went
> nicely upto the point that the computer rebooted, and then I got a BSOD
> with either 0x0000007E, or 0x0000000A, or 0x00000050. But mostly the first
> 2
>
> I even attempted to boot from the Vista DVD, but I got the problem
>
> My Hardware is:
> Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
> Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
> RAM: 4Gb
> HDD: 2 x 74Gb SATA, 2 x 400Gb SATA, 1 x 250Gb SATA
>
> BTW one of the 2 74Gb is the one on which XP (and Vista will be) installed
>
> --
> Thank you in advance
> Merci a l'avance
>
> Martin

Martin Racette

Re: Upgrade Problem
The thing is that Vista Beta2 and RC1 did install correctly with that same
hardware setup, except for the Video Card that was 2 GeForce 6600GT in SLI
(which I had to disable).

BTW the Silicon Image controller is a Sil 3114, and it is supported in Vista

"BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> see's all the SATA drives but not before if you're doing a clean install.
> I know that's confusing but I'm a bit burned out tonight.....
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm attempting to upgrade my XP Pro, to Vista Ultimate, everything went
>> nicely upto the point that the computer rebooted, and then I got a BSOD
>> with either 0x0000007E, or 0x0000000A, or 0x00000050. But mostly the
>> first 2
>>
>> I even attempted to boot from the Vista DVD, but I got the problem
>>
>> My Hardware is:
>> Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
>> Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
>> RAM: 4Gb
>> HDD: 2 x 74Gb SATA, 2 x 400Gb SATA, 1 x 250Gb SATA
>>
>> BTW one of the 2 74Gb is the one on which XP (and Vista will be)

BobS

Re: Upgrade Problem
Martin,

Did the trick of removing the second video card allow Vista to install? I
haven't tried it yet but will in the am.

> [...]
>> see's all the SATA drives but not before if you're doing a clean install.
>> I know that's confusing but I'm a bit burned out tonight.....
>>
>> Bob S.
>>

>> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm attempting to upgrade my XP Pro, to Vista Ultimate, everything went
>>> nicely upto the point that the computer rebooted, and then I got a BSOD
>>> with either 0x0000007E, or 0x0000000A, or 0x00000050. But mostly the
>>> first 2
>>>
>>> I even attempted to boot from the Vista DVD, but I got the problem
>>>
>>> My Hardware is:
>>> Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe
>>> Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
>>> RAM: 4Gb
>>> HDD: 2 x 74Gb SATA, 2 x 400Gb SATA, 1 x 250Gb SATA
>>>
>>> BTW one of the 2 74Gb is the one on which XP (and Vista will be)

Martin Racette

Re: Upgrade Problem
I did not physically remove the card, just set the BIOS to single card
instead of SLI AUTO or DUAL

"BobS" <no-one@no-where.com> wrote in message
> Martin,
>
> Did the trick of removing the second video card allow Vista to install? I
> haven't tried it yet but will in the am.
>
> Bob S.
>

> "Martin Racette" <rat7_mobile@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> The thing is that Vista Beta2 and RC1 did install correctly with that
>> same hardware setup, except for the Video Card that was 2 GeForce 6600GT
>> in SLI (which I had to disable).
>>
>> BTW the Silicon Image controller is a Sil 3114, and it is supported in
>> Vista
>>
>> "BobS" <no-spam@noplace.com> wrote in message
>>> Martin,
>>>
>>> We have similar systems and you may want to read the posts about SATA
>>> drives on this motherboard with the Sil 3132 SATA controller and Nvidia
>>> chipsets.
>>>
>>> Very long story short. Install a standard (but good) EIDE drive in IDE
>>> 0 and do a dual-boot install so you can retain your WinXP setup (for
>>> now) and Vista x64 to play with until the vendors get this sorted out.
>>>
>>> Yes, WinXP will load to SATA and the install package for Vista loads to
>>> SATA but when it does that reboot where the Vista install is done and
>>> you're booting into Vista to complete the install - it goes black with a
>>> blinking cursor (or not) and no error codes. I have downloaded the Sil
>>> 3132 controller drivers for both the 32 bit (x86) and 64 bit (x64)
>>> versions and loaded them in during the Vista install (small Load Drivers
>>> lower right of install window). It appears that it does not retain
>>> them.
>>>
>>> I have Vista x64 up and running (and I like it...) on a spare EIDE drive
>>> I have and when you get to do the first MS update, you will note that
>>> the first update you'll see is one for the Sil3132 SATA controller.
>>>
>>> The other posts I've made tell you what I've tried and what others have
>>> suggested. Carlos found a good article which he posted a link to under
>>> one of my posts http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/1-vt66299.html?start=0 .
>>> It's a bit long once you start clicking on the links and a bit
>>> confusing - so read it a couple of times and I think you'll agree -
>>> there's a problem. I have not tried the suggested fixes in that article
>>> (and other links). It's not just about RAID controllers so don't let
>>> that throw you off. It may not be the problem but for right now,
>>> everything I've tried and have found out so far points in that
>>> direction. It's either the Nvidia or SATA drivers that are the
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Once its installed on an EIDE drive and you download the updates - it
>>> see's all the SATA drives but not before if you're doing a clean
>>> install. I know that's confusing but I'm a bit burned out tonight.....
>>>
>>> Bob S.

BobS

Re: Upgrade Problem
Thanks I'll give boths ways a try today just to see for future reference if
it makes a difference.