32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?

boe

32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
Hello,

I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option of
32bit when I upgrade.

Thanks

Richard G. Harper

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site it
will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by "upgrade" you
mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista as an upgrade to
XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade path from 32-bit
Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.

"boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option of
> 32bit when I upgrade.
>
> Thanks

boe

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
Good to know. Thanks

> If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site it
> will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by "upgrade" you
> mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista as an upgrade to
> XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade path from 32-bit
> Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option of
>> 32bit when I upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks

JW

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
Do you mean to say that you can not perfrom an inplace upgrade from 32 bit
Windows XP to Vista 64 using a Vista upgrade license? I ask since I thought
that you could perform a custom install upgrade from 32 bit Windows XP to
64 bit Vista using a Vista upgrade license.

> If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site it
> will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by "upgrade" you
> mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista as an upgrade to
> XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade path from 32-bit
> Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.

> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option of
>> 32bit when I upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks

boe

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
MS Sales said it could be done - not sure if it is true or not.

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Do you mean to say that you can not perfrom an inplace upgrade from 32 bit
> Windows XP to Vista 64 using a Vista upgrade license? I ask since I
> thought that you could perform a custom install upgrade from 32 bit
> Windows XP to 64 bit Vista using a Vista upgrade license.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site
>> it will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by "upgrade"
>> you mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista as an
>> upgrade to XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade path
>> from 32-bit Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.

>> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option
>>> of 32bit when I upgrade.
>>>
>>> Thanks

JW

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
Last I read that an Inplace Vista upgrade from a 32 OS to a 64 bit OS could
not be done and is one of the capabilities being considered for a future
Vista release. Apparently there is a difference between the 32 bit kernal
or Registry architecture and the corresponding 64 bit architecture that
prevents the Inplace upgrade from being performed currently.

> MS Sales said it could be done - not sure if it is true or not.
>
> "JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
>> Do you mean to say that you can not perfrom an inplace upgrade from 32
>> bit Windows XP to Vista 64 using a Vista upgrade license? I ask since I
>> thought that you could perform a custom install upgrade from 32 bit
>> Windows XP to 64 bit Vista using a Vista upgrade license.
>>
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>>> If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site
>>> it will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by
>>> "upgrade" you mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista
>>> as an upgrade to XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade
>>> path from 32-bit Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Tom Lake

> Last I read that an Inplace Vista upgrade from a 32 OS to a 64 bit OS
> could not be done and is one of the capabilities being considered for a
> future Vista release. Apparently there is a difference between the 32 bit
> kernal or Registry architecture and the corresponding 64 bit architecture
> that prevents the Inplace upgrade from being performed currently.

It's simple. The 64-bit version has a 64-bit installer. A 32-bit OS can't
run the 64-bit installer.

Tom Lake

=?Utf-8?B?aGVsbG9rZWl0aA==?=

RE: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
Core Duo processors are 32 bit.

Core 2 Duo processors are 64 bit.

"boe" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option of
> 32bit when I upgrade.
>
> Thanks

Richard G. Harper

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
No, you can't. There is no supported in-place upgrade from a 32 bit edition
of Windows to a 64 bit edition of Windows. You can do a "clean" install but
you won't be able to upgrade your existing operating system.

"JW" <nospam@no.spam> wrote in message
> Do you mean to say that you can not perfrom an inplace upgrade from 32 bit
> Windows XP to Vista 64 using a Vista upgrade license? I ask since I
> thought that you could perform a custom install upgrade from 32 bit
> Windows XP to 64 bit Vista using a Vista upgrade license.
>
> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> If you check the specifications on your processor at the Intel web site
>> it will tell you if it's 64-bit enabled or not. However, if by "upgrade"
>> you mean "Start Windows XP, put in the DVD and install Vista as an
>> upgrade to XP" then you don't have a choice - there is no upgrade path
>> from 32-bit Windows XP to 64-bit Vista.

>> "boe" <boe_d@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm curious if I could run either version or if I only have the option
>>> of 32bit when I upgrade.
>>>
>>> Thanks

John Barnes

Re: 32 Bit or 64 on a Intel Core Duo Processor T2600 2.16GHz Laptop?
You cannot perform an in place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. You must do a
custom install, which is basically your clean install
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx