SATA or IDE

=?Utf-8?B?VCBEaWRkeQ==?=

SATA or IDE
Given the choice between installing Windows Vista Premium Home Edition on a
SATA drive or an IDE drive, which would you choose?
David B.

Re: SATA or IDE
Kind of a no brainer, SATA

"T Diddy" <T Diddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Given the choice between installing Windows Vista Premium Home Edition on
> SATA drive or an IDE drive, which would you choose?

BobS

Re: SATA or IDE
Wait a minute......;-) Depends on what SATA controller you have on the
motherboard. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the NVIDIA chipset and
Silicone Image 3132 SATA controller - and I can not get Vista x86/x64
versions to install no matter what I've tried - and that's a lot.

I just finished loading Vista x64 onto a spare EIDE drive just so I can get
it up and running so I can do some testing with it. So it may appear to be
a no brainer issue but it "depends".

Certainly give it a try but if it keeps going to a black screen/blinking
cursor after the reboot - you may be in for a long night. Look at the other
posts with SATA in the subject line, some are mine. Carlos just posted a
reply to one of my posts that has some good info about SATA controllers.
Although the info appears to be only about a RAID controller - it also
applies to the basic SATA, non-RAID setups, like mine.

Bob S.

"David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Kind of a no brainer, SATA
>
> "T Diddy" <T Diddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Given the choice between installing Windows Vista Premium Home Edition on
>> SATA drive or an IDE drive, which would you choose?

David B.

Re: SATA or IDE
My reply was assuming you HAD the choice and drivers weren't an issue.

"BobS" <no-one@here.com> wrote in message
> Wait a minute......;-) Depends on what SATA controller you have on the
> motherboard. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the NVIDIA chipset and
> Silicone Image 3132 SATA controller - and I can not get Vista x86/x64
> versions to install no matter what I've tried - and that's a lot.
>
> I just finished loading Vista x64 onto a spare EIDE drive just so I can
> get it up and running so I can do some testing with it. So it may appear
> to be a no brainer issue but it "depends".
>
> Certainly give it a try but if it keeps going to a black screen/blinking
> cursor after the reboot - you may be in for a long night. Look at the
> other posts with SATA in the subject line, some are mine. Carlos just
> posted a reply to one of my posts that has some good info about SATA
> controllers. Although the info appears to be only about a RAID
> controller - it also applies to the basic SATA, non-RAID setups, like
> mine.
>
> Bob S.
>
> "David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Kind of a no brainer, SATA
>>
>> "T Diddy" <T Diddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Given the choice between installing Windows Vista Premium Home Edition
>>> on a
>>> SATA drive or an IDE drive, which would you choose?

=?Utf-8?B?VCBEaWRkeQ==?=

Re: SATA or IDE
Thx BobS. I'll look out for that...

"BobS" wrote:

> Wait a minute......;-) Depends on what SATA controller you have on the
> motherboard. I have the Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe with the NVIDIA chipset and
> Silicone Image 3132 SATA controller - and I can not get Vista x86/x64
> versions to install no matter what I've tried - and that's a lot.
>
> I just finished loading Vista x64 onto a spare EIDE drive just so I can get
> it up and running so I can do some testing with it. So it may appear to be
> a no brainer issue but it "depends".
>
> Certainly give it a try but if it keeps going to a black screen/blinking
> cursor after the reboot - you may be in for a long night. Look at the other
> posts with SATA in the subject line, some are mine. Carlos just posted a
> reply to one of my posts that has some good info about SATA controllers.
> Although the info appears to be only about a RAID controller - it also
> applies to the basic SATA, non-RAID setups, like mine.
>
> Bob S.
>
> "David B." <brooks.dj@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Kind of a no brainer, SATA
> >
> > "T Diddy" <T Diddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Given the choice between installing Windows Vista Premium Home Edition on
> >> SATA drive or an IDE drive, which would you choose?

BobS

Re: SATA or IDE
Yep - that's why I said - depends.