Another Vista install problem.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayAtIEF1c3RyYWxpYQ==?=

Another Vista install problem.
Hi there.

I am having problems installing vista. I am using the Home Premium upgrade
version and I am trying to install this from with in an activated Windows XP
pro installation (clean install to a new partition of 60 gig).

The installation will copy all files from the DVD to the harddrive then
reboot and crash. The install will occasionally get to 100% but I still can
not boot into vista, if I try safe mode the system will hang on a file called
diskcrc I beleive is its name. Every so often safe mode will boot and say
windows has not finished installing.

Now I have rang MS tech support who were about as useful as an ash tray on a
motorcycle. According to them (yes I explained I am using an upgrade), I
must have a clean formatted harddrive with NO OS installed and then use the
DVD rom to install, this doesnt seem to be correct from information I have
read elsewhere, and considering that the vista startup gives the option to do
a clean install anyway.

My hardware is AMD 64 3000+, 1.5 gigs ram, sata harddrive with 60 gigs clean
for the vista install. Vista upgrade advisor gives no hardware or software
issues.

I have tried to install vista beta 1 and 2 on this machine with the same
result which I assumed the problem was because Vista was then a beta, I have
stupidly gone out and purchased vista for just under $180 to have the same
issue, serves me right for purchasing software I guess (dont mind paying for
things that work)

Has anyone come accross a solution for this.

I am thinking of doing an install to a non sata drive and see if this fixes
the issue. Its not a GFX card related issue as have tried 2 different cards.

Thanks for your help.

Mark
CharlesE

Re: Another Vista install problem.
Mark,

You tried and failed to get the betas to install and then bough the release
version and tried?
That is optimism.

Use the Vista to Vista Hack. You have a qualifying XP license, so
technically it is not a cheat.

Boot from the DVD, flatten the drive.

If that does not work you now have a paper weight.

"Mark - Australia" <MarkAustralia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:56E21F35-85B2-4F9E-B5FC-E2B732D1D034@microsoft.com...
> Hi there.
>
> I am having problems installing vista. I am using the Home Premium
> upgrade
> version and I am trying to install this from with in an activated Windows
> XP
> pro installation (clean install to a new partition of 60 gig).
>
> The installation will copy all files from the DVD to the harddrive then
> reboot and crash. The install will occasionally get to 100% but I still
> can
> not boot into vista, if I try safe mode the system will hang on a file
> called
> diskcrc I beleive is its name. Every so often safe mode will boot and say
> windows has not finished installing.
>

> Now I have rang MS tech support who were about as useful as an ash tray on
> motorcycle. According to them (yes I explained I am using an upgrade), I
> must have a clean formatted harddrive with NO OS installed and then use
> the
> DVD rom to install, this doesnt seem to be correct from information I have
> read elsewhere, and considering that the vista startup gives the option to
> do
> a clean install anyway.
>
> My hardware is AMD 64 3000+, 1.5 gigs ram, sata harddrive with 60 gigs
> clean
> for the vista install. Vista upgrade advisor gives no hardware or
> software
> issues.
>
> I have tried to install vista beta 1 and 2 on this machine with the same
> result which I assumed the problem was because Vista was then a beta, I
> have
> stupidly gone out and purchased vista for just under $180 to have the same
> issue, serves me right for purchasing software I guess (dont mind paying
> for
> things that work)
>
> Has anyone come accross a solution for this.
>
> I am thinking of doing an install to a non sata drive and see if this
> fixes
> the issue. Its not a GFX card related issue as have tried 2 different
> cards.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyayAtIEF1c3RyYWxpYQ==?=

Re: Another Vista install problem.
Optimism or stupidity on that one I guess haha.

The betas I was attempting to install were full versions and gave the exact
same result so that cheat I think would accheive nada but I will still give
it a go.

I have contacted the retailer who sold me the copy who has said he is going
to follow this up with his Microsoft rep who will contact me (I am not
holding my breath on this one), if he has a solution I will post it.

Vista must be the greatest motivation to install linux or buy a mac!!

Regards

Mark